cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 3500 DRW expert advice

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. I am excited to say that I am ready to buy a new truck and looking mainly at Ram duallies. I currently don't need the dually, but would like to purchase something now to possibly upgrade to a toy hauler 5th wheel in the near future. I am looking at a larger unit, roughly 15,000 pounds.

My question is if I look at tow ratings, it states around 16,000 pounds for a 2016 ram 3500 LB CC DRW with a 3 42 ratio. Is it different for fifth wheel towing? Where I'm looking just shows towing in general.

Thanks in advance.
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 367bhs
22 REPLIES 22

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ulvik wrote:
My bad maybe I should reiterate a little because after buying the truck I deleted all the factory fuel/power robbing items as well as installed a Smart touch tuner plus a 5 inch exhaust. Hope that explains why I have more power, better MPG. Now motor runs cooler and should last me a lot longer.

Great, I hope you kept all the items removed. BIL tried to license his deleted 2008 in AZ and was rejected, and he dumped all the parts that the seller who deleted it had given him. He is going to make a flight to SD this fall to license it and become a SD resident. Hopefully that remains a heaven until he no longer owns it. Chris
I just read in AZ to leave the EGR cooler in place and plug both ends. This will pass a visual smog inspection and take your EGR out of the system. You will need a tuner to shut off the engine light. But if it is done with a sniffer I know it wont work. Just passing along what people in AZ had done.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ulvik wrote:
My bad maybe I should reiterate a little because after buying the truck I deleted all the factory fuel/power robbing items as well as installed a Smart touch tuner plus a 5 inch exhaust. Hope that explains why I have more power, better MPG. Now motor runs cooler and should last me a lot longer.

Great, I hope you kept all the items removed. BIL tried to license his deleted 2008 in AZ and was rejected, and he dumped all the parts that the seller who deleted it had given him. He is going to make a flight to SD this fall to license it and become a SD resident. Hopefully that remains a heaven until he no longer owns it. Chris

Nope sold it all! Not worried about anything like. I own property in Louisiana as well as Tennessee and neither state worries about that and there is currently nothing in the works to change that, for now. Not really worried about it because it is already registered in TN and if I do move I still have another cabin up here we rent out so no worries!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ulvik wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:

๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Me Again wrote:
ulvik wrote:
I got a heck of a deal on a new 2018 Ram 3500 DRW diesel but I was worried because it came with a 68RFE trans and 3.42 gears. I tow a 5th wheel that weighs 13500lbs loaded but luckily it had a puck system and the dealership agreed to let me take it home for the night. I put my hitch in the truck and took it for a test through the mountains towing the camper and it did great! I never try to tow over 65 mph anyway so when really hilly I just lock out 6th gear and roll on. Plus my fuel mileage pulling is around 12 to 13 and empty around 22. So I have no regrets at all!!!! You can see my setup on my profile page.

22 empty??? Lie-O-meter number? Or 50-55 MPH? Chris

Yes 22 empty! Well to be exact by trucks computer it is 21.8 on highway and by calculator 21.5 so yes rounded up that is 22mpg!

And at what speed and over how many miles? Like going down hill for 40 miles?

I know its hard to believe, but yes I have seen 21.5 hand calculated ,but its not the norm . and no it wasn't downhill for 40 miles ,but it was over about 120 miles 55-60 . Normally 17-19 driving it anywhere from 70-75.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Yes 22 empty! Well to be exact by trucks computer it is 21.8 on highway and by calculator 21.5 so yes rounded up that is 22mpg! "

NOT calling you a liar, BUT report back after SEVERAL tanks filled to the top and HAND calculated.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ulvik wrote:
Me Again wrote:
ulvik wrote:
I got a heck of a deal on a new 2018 Ram 3500 DRW diesel but I was worried because it came with a 68RFE trans and 3.42 gears. I tow a 5th wheel that weighs 13500lbs loaded but luckily it had a puck system and the dealership agreed to let me take it home for the night. I put my hitch in the truck and took it for a test through the mountains towing the camper and it did great! I never try to tow over 65 mph anyway so when really hilly I just lock out 6th gear and roll on. Plus my fuel mileage pulling is around 12 to 13 and empty around 22. So I have no regrets at all!!!! You can see my setup on my profile page.

Yes 22 empty! Well to be exact by trucks computer it is 21.8 on highway and by calculator 21.5 so yes rounded up that is 22mpg!

And at what speed and over how many miles? Like going down hill for 40 miles?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ulvik wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ulvik wrote:

Nice, I wouldn't worry too much, not a newer Ram, but currently towing a 5er at 12,700# 20,500# combined. The Ram is slightly juiced DS Power Puck, and RV275 injectors I figure about 300 hp and 600ish # torque. This is with a 5 speed manual and 3.55's.

So with the HP and Torque of new Rams I don't see an issue.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ulvik wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ulvik wrote:

I towed a 19k RV with same combo. Only issue was getting the load rolling on grade. With your weight you will be more than fine!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My 3.73s are a great compromise for towing and DD. If the truck were mostly for towing it would be 4.10 for sure. I've had them in a CTD and what a work horse and still very good mpg. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!