cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this one of the models people here say ...

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
To stay away from

https://rochester.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2015-thor-motor-coach/6692874235.html

Also is this priced right ?
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
27 REPLIES 27

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
Motorhomes have wheels, so it doesn't matter where you live, it matters where you are going! If you want to get the full benefit you need to get it equipped for what you might encounter in your travels.

That is an important point!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Motorhomes have wheels, so it doesn't matter where you live, it matters where you are going! If you want to get the full benefit you need to get it equipped for what you might encounter in your travels.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know, our last MH had 2 ac's non ducted with 30 amp service. It had a devise that alternated from front to back if desired. It cooled OK but I was never really pleased with that set up. Our current MH has 1 ducted Ac also with 30 amp service. I like that better and have never had a problem cooling it, but, as Doug said I don't live in Texas!
P.S. Both MH's had a 4000 watt gen. and I had no problems running anything I wanted.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on the short time we've had our Bay Star, I agree that you want two AC units if you are going to be in any hot summer weather conditions. When we were researching motorhomes, we decided that with our budget, we had to buy used and for the money, we would stick with motorhomes made by Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago/Itasca or Holiday Rambler (2008 or older). That was our preference and we know that there are a lot of happy owners of other brands. All I can suggest to the OP is that they look at a lot of used motorhomes and compare carefully the quality of furniture, cabinet work, tank capacity, number of AC units and generator size.

We have a 7500K generator, and it has been great to be able to run both AC units and still be able to the microwave or run a hair dryer, toaster, etc.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I don't think a 30 foot MH needs 2 A/C`s! my 32ft trailer has 1 13.5k A/C and does pretty decent even in mid 90deg weather. Now if you are traveling in the south then yes, but in the north and in the mountain one is all that is necessary.

But, what do you use for backup, when it goes out, while traveling across the SE or SW US in summer and until you can get the one fixed or replaced, at a reasonable cost?

Ok, but the same can be said for the power center. Do you carry and extra one? Or what about the engine, why if it goes out while you travel? Anything can be made to look like itโ€™s a bad idea!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
another advantage of having two ACS is that once comfy you can run one of them in the area where you aren't at the time, moving the noise to the other end of the rv.
bumpy

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I don't think a 30 foot MH needs 2 A/C`s! my 32ft trailer has 1 13.5k A/C and does pretty decent even in mid 90deg weather. Now if you are traveling in the south then yes, but in the north and in the mountain one is all that is necessary.

But, what do you use for backup, when it goes out, while traveling across the SE or SW US in summer and until you can get the one fixed or replaced, at a reasonable cost?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

a second bedroom AC could be added later if needed, I did so on my Bounder. put a smaller unit there that I could run when the electrical service was poor. could also engineer it so that it would plug in separately to the 20 amp outlet. only problem I had was that the installer didn't check the length of the saber saw blade he used to make the hole for the ceiling electrical box and poked a small hole in the roof. :s won't identify the firm but it's initials are CW.
bumpy

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Looks there's only enough counter space to make one small sammich at a time.

For me that's the big deal breaker!!!! :?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looks there's only enough counter space to make one small sammich at a time.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We were just going n the market for used and bought one this weekend. Good suggestions so far. 34โ€™ even with two A/Cโ€™s is not fantastic. I was recommended to stay clear of Thor by a Thor dealer. The biggie for us was deciding our price range. If we spent enough to have a 2015, we would just go all the way to get the 6 speed. If we gave up the six speed, we would shop several years older and save money. We bought a 2011.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. 30 amp service---REAL DEAL BREAKER
Doug

are you saying that a 30 ft. motorhome HAS to be 50 amp to be acceptable? my 32 and 34 footers were just fine with 30 amp service.
bumpy

YOU don't live in Texas. I have 38 years of dealing with Motorhomes OVER 26 foot long. NONE including Ducted will cool a motorhome adequately in higher than 90 degree temps with 1 AC even a 15k. I have never had a customer happy with a larger than 26 foot RV with 1 AC even a 15k. Doug

I agree that 2 ACs is preferred, the issue was 30 amp being inadequate. However I ran 2 ACs on 30 amp service in my last two Class As. using your logic, 30 amp RVs shouldn't be sold south of Canada? and since my daughter lives in TExas I have plenty of time spent there in my RV. I would consider ducted to be detrimental also.
the OP lives in NY.
bumpy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. 30 amp service---REAL DEAL BREAKER
Doug

are you saying that a 30 ft. motorhome HAS to be 50 amp to be acceptable? my 32 and 34 footers were just fine with 30 amp service.
bumpy

YOU don't live in Texas. I have 38 years of dealing with Motorhomes OVER 26 foot long. NONE including Ducted will cool a motorhome adequately in higher than 90 degree temps with 1 AC even a 15k. I have never had a customer happy with a larger than 26 foot RV with 1 AC even a 15k. Doug