cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Topper and Vent Options Offered By Dealer for New Purchase

surfs-up-today
Explorer
Explorer
I just signed on the dotted line for a new camper.

It has one slide out and the dealer wanted to sell me a "topper" for about $800 installed (or so, if I remember correctly). Also 3 rain covers for the hatches. I think they were $130 each, installed.

I said no the topper as the unit will be closed 60% of the time (or more) and when open, I won't be near trees. I heard they make noise in the wind.

On the rain covers for the hatches, I didn't want the reduced air flow that might occur.

With both these items, I could install them myself if they are really needed. So price aside, are these things important to have? If so, why don't the manufactures install them?
67 REPLIES 67

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that's enough on (and off) this topic.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Chill Ralph!

You like what you have, I like what I have. I have owned BOTH.

Chill? LOL.........I certainly have not lost any sleep over your choice of vent covers.

"then we have one that comes along as usual and bashes a product to promote what he has for some insane reason ."

No doubt you were referring to me. So please explain to everyone what I was "bashing".

What? Huh? Did I miss something?

drsteve wrote:
surfs-up-today wrote:
So why on earth don't these new trailers just come with these two features, rain vent covers and toppers for the slide outs, if everyone likes them so much? They wouldn't cost much if sourced by the mfg and installed on the assembly line, so it shouldn't be the cost. What am I missing?

It makes the MSRP cheaper, and gives the dealer an opportunity to make money by selling accessories and charging lots of labor to install them.

Rockwood / Flagstaff offers bot as options for a rediculously low price. I think two Maxxair fans with covers were like $150.00 and a Dometic topper on our 13' slide was $262.00 installed when built.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Which begs the obvious question - WHY? :h Declaring so without providing any explanation as to why you've come to this conclusion is useless to the OP or anyone else reading this thread who may also be considering a slide topper. :R

In the interest of offering suggestions that could actually help the OP he might want to alternately consider a Slide Out Sweep. I've never personally owned or tried one but it seems like a possible solution to having to climb up on a ladder in order to sweep the slide top clear of debris and certainly is less costly than a topper.
Not to burst your bubble - but this product would be great if it were actually available for sale. A little more reading on the website produces this:

website wrote:

Looking for domestic production.
Overseas production fell through. Excitement is still there, with hundreds of responses!
Please email: info@slideoutsweep.com
if you are interested or know source for production.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
surfs-up-today wrote:
So why on earth don't these new trailers just come with these two features, rain vent covers and toppers for the slide outs, if everyone likes them so much? They wouldn't cost much if sourced by the mfg and installed on the assembly line, so it shouldn't be the cost. What am I missing?

It makes the MSRP cheaper, and gives the dealer an opportunity to make money by selling accessories and charging lots of labor to install them.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Chill Ralph!

Chill? LOL.........I certainly have not lost any sleep over your choice of vent covers.

"then we have one that comes along as usual and bashes a product to promote what he has for some insane reason ."

No doubt you were referring to me. So please explain to everyone what I was "bashing".

Total nonsense on your part, air restriction claims, screw coming loose ,as said bashing a product to promote what you have, for whatever insane reason.

Again the MaxxAir bolts the brackets to the vent frame . Bolt, nut, and LOCK WASHER, no they do not come LOOSE. Claiming they do is bashing a product, or in very least ,not having any idea what are talking about. Actually a lot of both ,bashing, and having no idea.

Did your previous MaxxAir come loose, or did you just grab that one out of the air.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is the Maxx cover I am comparing to, no mention of airflow restriction. Maxxair 503.15 (00-933066) White Vent Cover $30.35

They also sell I assume a newer version that claims 5% reduction in air flow. Sounds like someone copied someone. Maxxair 00-955002 Black Fanmate Cover with Ez Clip Hardware $58.92

The FV vent cover I have used in hot climates for 3 years Fan-Tastic Vent U1500BL Ultra Breeze Vent Cover $52.78

Can't claim FV is more expensive now.

Prices from AMAZON
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Chill Ralph!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Chill Ralph!

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Chill Ralph!

Great response, good for you. At least you didn't continue with misleading , and false information, its a start. :C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chill Ralph!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I would of just used the Maxxair cover with its supplied brackets that do not disturb the sealant. Especially when taking into account all you had to do was pop out the plugs on the vent housing of the Maxxair fan you have, and attach the brackets provided with the cover. Claiming the screws will come loose over time is just BS.

Airflow? I don't think Maxxair makes it a habit of designing vent covers that restrict the air flow of their fans.

The way that bracket is set in sealant sure looks like a Micky Mouse installation and prone to leak at some point IMHO.

MaxxAir is mounted with bolt,nut, and washer ,have no idea where he could have come up with screws coming loose.

Have to agree, anytime you start messing with sealant or removing existing screws you are asking for trouble.

At this point the facts are out there, majority choose the MaxxAir, for good reasons, then we have one that comes along as usual and bashes a product to promote what he has for some insane reason .

At least he knows now how easy it would of been to just pop out the hole plugs and install the MaxxAir, ๐Ÿ™‚

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would of just used the Maxxair cover with its supplied brackets that do not disturb the sealant. Especially when taking into account all you had to do was pop out the plugs on the vent housing of the Maxxair fan you have, and attach the brackets provided with the cover. Claiming the screws will come loose over time is just BS.

Airflow? I don't think Maxxair makes it a habit of designing vent covers that restrict the air flow of their fans.

The way that bracket is set in sealant sure looks like a Micky Mouse installation and prone to leak at some point IMHO.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where do you get they donโ€™t last as long??? Mine are three years and look great and are in Palm Springs Ca sun 8 months out of the year and the rest in the NW Summer sun.

Oh well I know what I know cuz I have owned both.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hmmmm.

...Specifically what is better by having a materials n Workman ship warranty thatโ€™s longer....

This may be one

This may be another

And maybe another

They do seem to fail within the warranty period.......

That is why I went with the Maxx Air for the fan cover, their 6 year Warranty.
All their covers are constructed of high density polyethylene with maximum UV inhibitors,they cost less and last longer than the Fantastic Vent Cover

Unlike the Fantastic Vent covers that only have a 3 year Warranty, they seem to not Last that long.

I have 4 other Maxx Air Covers on my RV that are 7 years old and show no sign of chalking or brittleness,it sits outside here in sunny So Cal.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C