cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LT tire outside and inside edges wearing

dpam
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have Bridgestone Duravis LT tires on our 5th wheel. The tires are 3 years old and they are the best tires that I’ve had on the trailer. The tires have a lot of tread left, but the outside and inside edges are wearing, but the rest of the tires have very little wear. I assume that LT tires do not have as rigid side walls as ST trailer tires, therefore I assume the tire edges wear. I’m trying to determine if I have a axel alignment issue or are the LT edges wearing from regular and sharp turning while parking the trailer. Do other LT tire users have the same tire edge wear.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DPAM
41 REPLIES 41

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
CALandLIN wrote:

That's a Carlisle Tire quote. You can't find it in any of their newer information PDFs.

If you get it from Discount Tire ST info pages it's really from Carlisle Tire.

So you no long claim that to be an issue? Chris

The wording has changed. The most common term now used is "fatigue". There is still no measurement other than the 3-5 years life cycle still being the most common.

So, the greater the fatigue factor, the shorter the tire life span. According to our resident tire experts, fatigue factors are more damaging to tires being used on RV trailers than any other vehicle.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CALandLIN wrote:

That's a Carlisle Tire quote. You can't find it in any of their newer information PDFs.

So you no long claim that to be an issue? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
I really wish people that are so big on pushing “ratings” would take the time to pick up some of these tires and actually compare them.

Raitings are simply numbers that we dont even know how they got to. One thing is clearly obvious is that ST and LT tires are not rated in the same fashion or with the same margins.

ST have no margins, it was all taken up with their inflated ratings. Not only that Cal claims they loose 10% of their capacty per year of service.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I really wish people that are so big on pushing “ratings” would take the time to pick up some of these tires and actually compare them.

Raitings are simply numbers that we dont even know how they got to. One thing is clearly obvious is that ST and LT tires are not rated in the same fashion or with the same margins.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
But they're both rated for nearly the same weight. Maybe that would explain why the "E" rated ST tires are such junk. Simply not strong enough for the load because they are over rated. That's why I don't see any problem not sticking to ST tires, or putting tires that are rated for lower weights, such as LT tires, as long as they will carry the actual weight of the trailer.

The "E" rated ST tire was rated for around 3400 lbs. and the "G" rated LT tire was rated for around 3700 lbs. Only 300 lbs. difference, but worlds apart in terms of construction and actual carrying capacity.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I compared the "E" rated ST tires side-by-side to the "G" rated Sailun tires I put on, and there is a world, I mean a huge world, of difference. The sidewalls of the ST tire were like tissue paper compared to the Sailun.

Don't you think that was to be expected? The LRE is a polyester tire and the two load ranged higher LRG tire is a steel cased tire.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I compared the "E" rated ST tires side-by-side to the "G" rated Sailun tires I put on, and there is a world, I mean a huge world, of difference. The sidewalls of the ST tire were like tissue paper compared to the Sailun.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Go to tire shop and have them bring out an ST tire E rated. And have them bring out a 14 ply G rated LT tire. Stand tire on tread and try to sit on E rated tire. It Will collapse. Donsame with LT G rated tire. You will sit and
Not fall.

Now tell me the sidewalls on a ST tire are stronger than the 14 ply G rated. That ain’t.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dpam wrote:
Currently have Bridgestone Duravis LT tires on our 5th wheel. The tires are 3 years old and they are the best tires that I’ve had on the trailer. The tires have a lot of tread left, but the outside and inside edges are wearing, but the rest of the tires have very little wear. I assume that LT tires do not have as rigid side walls as ST trailer tires, therefore I assume the tire edges wear. I’m trying to determine if I have a axel alignment issue or are the LT edges wearing from regular and sharp turning while parking the trailer. Do other LT tire users have the same tire edge wear.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DPAM

Just a few questions.

What was the size of the Original Equipment tires described on the trailer's tire placard?

Are your LT tires LT245/75R16 LRE? The minimum rim width for that tire is 6.5".

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
DPAM I have the same thing on my unit. Also on my last unit. I drive my wife crazy with my worrying. I run recommended cold 110 lbs- TPM system and my unit is 1 1/2 year old and have had the alignment checked twice. Both times all was OK. I have had Discount Tire look at the tires on both units. Noone seems to have a good answer. I take turns VERY slow. I assume it is just the scuffing.
Dick OK

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:
The R238 is rated all season, the R250 is summer only. I do pull the trailer in temps down to or just below 30 degrees. The R238 compound is supposed to give better traction cold. But I have never had any issue, and don't think in trailer service it's a big deal. Some days I think it might be worth changing, the next it's "don't mess with what works". The R250's have worked well.

Your last point is what I was getting at. Chris

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
The R238 is rated all season, the R250 is summer only. I do pull the trailer in temps down to or just below 30 degrees. The R238 compound is supposed to give better traction cold. But I have never had any issue, and don't think in trailer service it's a big deal. Some days I think it might be worth changing, the next it's "don't mess with what works". The R250's have worked well.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:
Our DURAVIS R250's are 5 years old, show the same slight wear. They have always been run at 80 PSI. I believe it is wear from the edges biting during sharp turns, such as backing. Didn't the Goodyear G614 show the same type wear? We will most like;y replace with the DURAVIS R238's next spring.

Why would you switch to the R238's? Chris