Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air compressors

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
Yalls,

I used to have a diesel pusher with air brakes, so I was able to pull air from that system for most things. My new RV is a gasser with...normal.. brakes.. which means no air compressor. I pull a car on a dolly and would love to be able to top off the tires on my dolly and my car if needed. So I'm thinking about getting a small compressor to keep in the RV. I want to go as small as I can for storage sake, but I still want it to be useful. Years ago, I had one of those 12v deals and it really didn't work well for much of anything, granted that was 20 years ago and likely it was cheap.

So! My question to all of you RV folk out there, are you hauling a compressor with you? If so, what are hauling. My RV is a toy hauler so I could store something fairly large, but I'd rather not. Are those little 3gal guys from Harbor Freight as small as you would go? Or are there 12V tankless ones out there that don't suck?

I'm making my Black Friday list and I want to see what I should be looking for.

Thanks
Brian
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

My Reviews:
-----------
Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/users/157273
Campground Reviews: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/profile/31929
24 REPLIES 24

et2
Explorer
Explorer
prepilot_3ck wrote:
et2 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-45053-Automatic-Portable-Compressor/dp/B0141KJTKQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...

Used this for years. Works great, light, very portable. Still use it with my diesel pusher.

wow! Thanks! Thank thing looks serious and the price to match. Probably worth it though. I will research this thing a little bit, but it looks awesome. Thanks!

Your welcome. This model is a 100% duty cycle ( 40 minutes of constant use before shutting down to cool off). It will top off your tires in seconds if just a few pounds difference. The 400 model is good too ( less price) but shorter duty cycle. It has auto shut off if your not using it. Our's is pushing 7 years old and hasn't failed us yet.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend Viair 400P RV compressor. Pricey but really good.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

We have a company here in Lake Havasu City called Praxair. They handle any and all types of gas, bottles, hydrotesting, and all that. Any welding supply will have capabilities of filling CO2. I really like it 'cause you don't have to sit there and listen to those darn little 12V compressors labor to top off or fill a tire.

I also modified the valve in the cylinder so the bottle can be used in a horizontal position. It's stored that way in our Jeep. So, when it comes time to air the tires back up from a day on the trails, I just pull out the hose, turn on the valve and, air things up. I go from 10 psi trail pressure to right at 30 psi street pressure in 3 minutes total, for all four tires, DONE! There isn't a 12V compressor that can keep up with that.
Scott
Not sure if automotive/RV tires are the same as bicycles but when I fill up a tire with CO2, it's flat the next morning. My understanding is that a lot of rubber is very permeable to CO2. I don't have first hand knowledge other than bicycles but just putting it out there.

babock,
Well Sir, so far, I've been using that CO2 system for over a year and have filled my Jeep tires from a trail pressure of 10 psi to a street pressure of right at 30 psi and have not encountered any sort of low pressure tires the next morning. My TPMS in the Jeep warns me of low pressure, below 30 psi and, so far, it's only happened one time after I've filled the tires with the C02 system and that was because, I'd managed to loosen one of the valve cores during the process of lowering the pressure or, raising it. But, i'd only lost right at two pounds between the time I'd filled them and about 24 hours later. I retightened the core and, so far, it's been great with no other instances of low pressure after a refill.

Yes, that CO2 does come out cold out of the tank and regulator but, CO2 also expands quite a bit with temp rise so, it sort of equals out. I'm very happy with it so far. It's seriously faster and also seriously quieter than any compressor system on the market. It's only pitfall is it's limited in the amount of times it will fill all four tires on our Jeep, after a days runs on the trails. The tires I run are 315 70 17s which are equal to a 35x12:50 x 17 tire. That's quite a bit of tire to fill, after each trail run.

But, I get between 4 and 5, complete 4-tire fillups before that tank is depleted. For that, I carry a spare tank in the motorhome and just change it out when we get back to camp. So, all in all, I've got between 8 and 10 complete refills or all four tires before I have to get those tanks filled. And as of right now, it's about $16 each to have them filled. Not bad, considering the benefits I think are of value.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

babock
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

We have a company here in Lake Havasu City called Praxair. They handle any and all types of gas, bottles, hydrotesting, and all that. Any welding supply will have capabilities of filling CO2. I really like it 'cause you don't have to sit there and listen to those darn little 12V compressors labor to top off or fill a tire.

I also modified the valve in the cylinder so the bottle can be used in a horizontal position. It's stored that way in our Jeep. So, when it comes time to air the tires back up from a day on the trails, I just pull out the hose, turn on the valve and, air things up. I go from 10 psi trail pressure to right at 30 psi street pressure in 3 minutes total, for all four tires, DONE! There isn't a 12V compressor that can keep up with that.
Scott
Not sure if automotive/RV tires are the same as bicycles but when I fill up a tire with CO2, it's flat the next morning. My understanding is that a lot of rubber is very permeable to CO2. I don't have first hand knowledge other than bicycles but just putting it out there.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fini AirBoss that I carry in my motorhome and like a lot for that duty. This is a small 120V compressor, with a cut-off pressure of 135 psi, so it might not work well for larger class A tires (due to the pressure limitation mainly) but it does just fine for the 80 psi I need. It seems to be pretty well-built, and is comparatively quiet--which means it's still plenty loud, but you aren't obligated by OSHA to pass out earplugs to the entire campground. Occasionally you can get one at e.g. Lowes for around $100.

For filling tires, particularly large tires, the air tank size is pretty much immaterial unless you have a quite large, nonportable compressor. The tire takes more air than the tank practically holds, so the speed of air delivery is limited by the pressure difference and the air pump's CFM (and those two are not entirely independent, of course). For other uses like sporadic impact wrench use or pneumatic nailers the tank size is worth more consideration.

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.summitracing.com and put in part number VAR-1000 These are a nice unit and you can permanently mount it anywhere and just wire it to a 12v source, or make it portable. The cost is real reasonable at under $130.00
I have had one for 2 years now and I have installed them into customers vehicles.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The Milwaukee M12 Inflator is perfect for filling up bicycle, car and light truck tires. Portable and self contained. It probably would NOT hand a flat Class A tire (on one battery), but it would handle "topping off".

Best feature is the brass screw on chuck. Screw on the tire valve, set the pressure (digital), push the button and walk away ! Also come with adapters for filling toy, basketballs, etc.

You might eve consider buying some other Milwaukee M12 tools.

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
My suggestion is to get a small compressor that has a true output of over 125 PSI. That way you can pump up your RV tires too. Why not have one that fills every tire you have with you?

The one I have came from Lowes and was under $150. It is a small compressor with a tank. It takes a while but it can fill my 110 PSI RV tires too and believe me you want to make sure your RV tires are set to the correct levels.

Yeah, I need to take a closer look at those and see if I want to store/carry it around in my RV. Certainly feels like the right answer.
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.

My Reviews:
-----------

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
prepilot_3ck wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:

Brian,
I've had them all. 12V, 120VAC, and engine driven ones (on many of our previous Jeeps) and without a doubt, a 120VAC one is the way to go. Yes, some of the 12V ones work but, after dealing with all sorts of air compressors for years, to me, the 12V units, yes even the Viair ones, don't do well. Now, one thing here. Topping off tires is one thing. Using those 12V units for complete fill ups or higher volume is tough on them.

I have the Craftsman 150 psi portable that many on here also use. It's now marketed by Porter Cable but, it's the same exact compressor. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I also have a Viair 400P that I use for backup, just in case my 120VAC one goes south.

What I carry in the Jeep now is a 10# CO2 system. The tank is an Aluminum 10 lb. unit with a fixed, 150 psi regulator. I have a 25' Flexilla hose with a cheaper air chuck with a gauge. All in all, I've got about $154.00 wrapped up in that C02 system. For your application of topping off tires, that system would last you for quite a while without getting the bottle refilled. Mine costs me right at $16 for a refill.

Below is the model of the Porter Cable I have but, I paid a whole lot less for it.
Scott

https://www.sears.com/porter-cable-porter-cable-cmb15-150-psi-1.5/p-SPM10067945020?plpSellerId=Action%20Packaged%20Inc&prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Solid points. I feel like I understand the limitations of the type of compressor I'm after, but these are solid considerations. The CO2 deal sounds really awesome. Where do you get that filled? The price is pretty good too.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to get a small compressor that has a true output of over 125 PSI. That way you can pump up your RV tires too. Why not have one that fills every tire you have with you?

The one I have came from Lowes and was under $150. It is a small compressor with a tank. It takes a while but it can fill my 110 PSI RV tires too and believe me you want to make sure your RV tires are set to the correct levels.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
After reading the responses you could also search this Forum for `air compressor' to read previous posts.

LOL! You're probably right. I was hoping to get class-a specific responses. People who understand the air requirements of a large Class-A motorhome and maybe make the distinction between servicing the coach, and pretty much everything else involved in a trip.

I would suggest there is a HUGE gap between the air compressor needs of the coach, and the needs of the support vehicles and equipment. I doubt there are any commercial/retail compressors out there that can bridge that gap and not suck on either end of the spectrum. The hammer analogy works here I think. I need a tack hammer, but I also need a 20lb sledge. If you buy something in between, you're going to destroy everything that needs a tack hammer, and not be remotely effective with the things that need the sledge.

So, with this post I was more/less suggesting that I was going to abandon the stuff that needs the sledge hammer and let the pros deal with that stuff. Then attempt to get the largest tack hammer I can, without sacrificing the portability or cost benefits of going small.

I'm pretty happy with the responses so far honestly. Lots to think about.
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.

My Reviews:
-----------

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
What I do is just top of my tires before I leave on a trip or top them off at a Flying J when I get gas. Air is not going to leak out on your trip unless you have a bad tire. I do carry a 12 v compressor and a tire plug kit as well as spare tires in both the MH and the tow car in case of a flat. I have had to use the plug kit and 12 v compressor twice once for the MH and once on the tow car. These small compressors take a lot of time to pump the tires up but enough air pressure to drive to a gas station to top off the tires after the tires are plugged.

This is more/less my plan as well. The little guy is just for the car and dolly. I don't see myself carting around something large enough to fill a 22.5 tire at 100+ PSI.
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.

My Reviews:
-----------

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Today I am hearing good things about a lot of compressors but .. For most motor homes you need one in the 150PSI or higher range and I'd recommend at least 5-6 Gallon tank.

Mine is a Crafstman 13 years old from Sears.. It does so much for me.
It airs up the tires
It picks up the motor home (Air/hydraulic jack 12 ton bottle. Harbor Freight)
Hammers, drills. grinds. cuts. polishes, paints and wrenches and more.

I'm with you on this when it comes to filling or even topping off the RV tires. I have a reasonably sized compressor at home and it takes about 20 mins to make a noticeable change in pressure on my RV tires. With the compressor I'm after, I'm not planning on inflating the RV tires with it. Just the car and dolly, and more/less just enough to top off a low pressure situation, or just enough to get me to a shop to get it fixed. I have roadside assistance for the RV. If I have a low RV tire, I'm not messing with that with this compressor. I'll park, pop a pizza in the oven, crack a beer and wait.
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.

My Reviews:
-----------

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

Brian,
I've had them all. 12V, 120VAC, and engine driven ones (on many of our previous Jeeps) and without a doubt, a 120VAC one is the way to go. Yes, some of the 12V ones work but, after dealing with all sorts of air compressors for years, to me, the 12V units, yes even the Viair ones, don't do well. Now, one thing here. Topping off tires is one thing. Using those 12V units for complete fill ups or higher volume is tough on them.

I have the Craftsman 150 psi portable that many on here also use. It's now marketed by Porter Cable but, it's the same exact compressor. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I also have a Viair 400P that I use for backup, just in case my 120VAC one goes south.

What I carry in the Jeep now is a 10# CO2 system. The tank is an Aluminum 10 lb. unit with a fixed, 150 psi regulator. I have a 25' Flexilla hose with a cheaper air chuck with a gauge. All in all, I've got about $154.00 wrapped up in that C02 system. For your application of topping off tires, that system would last you for quite a while without getting the bottle refilled. Mine costs me right at $16 for a refill.

Below is the model of the Porter Cable I have but, I paid a whole lot less for it.
Scott

https://www.sears.com/porter-cable-porter-cable-cmb15-150-psi-1.5/p-SPM10067945020?plpSellerId=Action%20Packaged%20Inc&prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Solid points. I feel like I understand the limitations of the type of compressor I'm after, but these are solid considerations. The CO2 deal sounds really awesome. Where do you get that filled? The price is pretty good too.
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.

My Reviews:
-----------