cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advisability of late summer Alaska drive up

Charlie_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we’re retiring next year and planning on Alaska for our sixth time in our fifth wheel.We’ve flown a small aircraft up twice, once on a motorcycle, and twice with a slide in truck camper. All the trips have been in June and a little of July.
This time we’d be Leaving Michigan the first of August, Alaska about the 10th and headed back about September 10.
The hope is for less crowds at the usual attractions, more wildlife, and maybe some northern lights.
Comments of later season weather, campground availability, and whatever else would be appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
We were up there in August 2018, rained 15 days out of 19 days so watch the weather and be flexible about your plans.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Hey Soup,
What's the situation at Waterton Lakes NP? Saw where some of the American GNP fires had crossed the border illegally, without reporting to customs, making them illegal alien fires on our side of the border. No doubt Trudeau will welcome them in anyways, and give them more free (subsidized?) wood to burn......

Seriously, is WLNP worth the drive from Ontario this time of year? Just wanted to have a look around, maybe stay a day or two, then head a little bit north towards the Crowsnest Pass area for a lookie see as well.
TY for any advice, warnings, wisdom, seeing as you're in the area?

Well right now we are in the middle of the worst fire season ever, in BC with the Southeast corner still see a number of active huge wild fires.
We just had a thunder storm go through our area with lighting starting a couple of new Forrest fires. One of these fires is with in a few hundred yards of the regional Hospital and a high school, plus a lot of homes.
By next year... who knows what the area will look like. Send me a private note and I can give you some hidden gems of places to visit.
Soup.

We've been following it all year, and it doesn't look or sound pretty. Hope the weather helps out with a good dose of rain, and you all survive it.
Hang in there. PM sent.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
Hey Soup,
What's the situation at Waterton Lakes NP? Saw where some of the American GNP fires had crossed the border illegally, without reporting to customs, making them illegal alien fires on our side of the border. No doubt Trudeau will welcome them in anyways, and give them more free (subsidized?) wood to burn......

Seriously, is WLNP worth the drive from Ontario this time of year? Just wanted to have a look around, maybe stay a day or two, then head a little bit north towards the Crowsnest Pass area for a lookie see as well.

Well right now we are in the middle of the worst fire season ever, in BC with the Southeast corner still see a number of active huge wild fires.
We just had a thunder storm go through our area with lighting starting a couple of new Forrest fires. One of these fires is with in a few hundred yards of the regional Hospital and a high school, plus a lot of homes.
By next year... who knows what the area will look like. Send me a private note and I can give you some hidden gems of places to visit.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Been driving in snow all day and now sitting in Ft St John for the night with up to 4 inches forecast.

Thanks Walmart

Lasr couple of nights boondocking have been below freezing
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Soup,

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for all types of weather in the fall.
Today’s weather forecast for northeastern B.C. is calling for 10cm of snow, fall is here. It may not be much or last long, however it’s that time of year where the weather can change over night, traveling late in the camping season, be prepared . A ski hill just east of Kelowna BC had snow about two weeks ago. It didn’t stay long either, however it was snow.

SNOW

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
In 2005, I took my TC up arriving in August. Stayed until the 1st week of October fishing and bird hunting mostly ptarmigin and grouse but also some ducks. Outbound took the Top of World and made it the day before it was closed for the season. No problems with weather.

My wife and I are planning a similar trip in 2019. Want to spend September hunting birds while I can still do it. Will probably go up using the Top of World and return via Alaska Hwy though.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
This year, the past week has been spectacular around Southcentral Alaska.

Over the past 20 years, September can be crappy or it can be beautiful....IMNSHO, it hits one or the other of those extremes.

Late August - mid-September sees a significant reduction in bugs and tourists although not entirely void of either. The tourist facilities start closing by late August and are almost entirely shutdown by mid-September, but stuff can be found through the 1st week or so of September.

IMNSHO, Fall is the most spectacular time in Alaska: What constitutes "Fall" varies by location, but would be "September" around Los Anchorage to Squarebanks. My particular favorite time of year is mid-September to mid-October...but that's for hunting/flying/fishing. For a RV trip, I'd think 10-August to 10-September would be great, although one would need to focus on sightseeing (on your own) rather than "catered" activities.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Late summer (fall weather for the rest of us, haha) is a great time of year up there.
You’re from Michigan so what’s a little snow here or there? Cold hasn’t set in yet and really not much/ any snow except in the interior and north.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
We went two years ago 3rd time. Rain everything closed would never go that late again.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When we went in 2013, we left in May and went up returning the first of August. We did not experience big crowds anywhere. We were told numerous times that we were about 2 weeks ahead of the caravans.

We had a great time and the potential for bad weather, i.e., snow, was not likely since summer was approaching.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
It tends to be rainier later in the summer.

I agree that is the normal trend but this past 10 days has been "Chamber of Commerce" weather days. Bright sunshine, no clouds, light winds, with temps in the upper 60s! Other that the week of July 4th this has been the best weather all summer for us.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Was there in 2016 late August to about September 10 and the weather was perfect. Mix of sun and rain but no freezing temps.
As for crowds we thought it was pretty busy at most attractions that weren't closed down. Camping was wide open about everywhere. No problems.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
It tends to be rainier later in the summer.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8