cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you carry a spare tire?

mark52
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if you all carry a spare tire or if you rely on roadside assistance programs. On our last motorhome, I payed to have a spare tire carrier made and mounted under the rear. I'm wondering if I should do the same for our new one.
2018 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K "The moose"
The toad: 2006 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon lifted 4" with 33" tires
60 REPLIES 60

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread. Short answer, YES, I carry a mounted spare. 22.5/275. I also carry all the tools I need to change it. I waited ONE time for road service to change a tire for me, 5 hours! And that was only because we had a spare. No spare, I'd have waited a day and a half. Will I try to change it myself? That depends on how I feel at the time and also where I am. But I will NOT be at the mercy of a roadside tire sale.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
No, because of back trouble! Iโ€™ll just wait until help arrives!

what are you going to do when help arrives? pay twice the price for a 7 year old tire the help has?
bumpy

kedanie
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
ppine wrote:
Maybe you have never had 3 flat tires in one day. It has happened to me twice.

Overloaded? Old? Inflation?

Back in the 1960s tires were crummy. We had some old baloney skin tires and bought retreads because we had no money. They did not hold up well even at speeds below 55 mph.

The other problem has been driving on rough roads covered with things like basalt which can fracture into sharp fragments. Modern radial tires have a lot of flex in the sidewall. Even 8 ply rated truck tires may have only a couple of plys in the sidewall and are prone to punctures.

This thread is about tires for a motor coach, Class A! 22.5 inch tires are very heavy and most coaches are not designed with a place to carry them. 8 ply tires???! Most coaches run on 16 ply tires and lug nuts require 450-500 ft/lbs of torque.

Come on folks, think about what is being discussed before sticking your foot in your mouth.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Carry a spare and never worry about being stuck on side of road for hours and even the next day waiting on a tire..
:E

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
No, because of back trouble! Iโ€™ll just wait until help arrives!

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that a bobo for sure $215.00 how that total for the tire. Now that going to be a job putting the tire back in place under the MH. There no way that I could take the tire down from underneath the MH by myself. I can hardly lift the tire by myself. I am going to use two floor Jacks to put the tire up in place so I can install the flat plate, lock washer and nut. Could use some help on this.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Big Redneck wrote:
I bought a new tire $2015.

Please tell me that's a typo!!! :E :E :E

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
Today I dropped the spare tire from under the rear of the MH. It was a old Goodyear 10 years old and cracks in it. Its a 225/70R 19.5. The MH has Hercules by Cooper tires. Boy is it heavy for me. I had to use a Floor Jacl to drop it down. No way on the road could I drop it without a floor jack. I bought a new tire $2015. Balance and they keep the old tire.Boy do you need road service to change a tire. I have progressive insurance that has road service. NOW who is the best for road service when you need them?
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
ppine wrote:

Back in the 1960s tires were crummy. We had some old baloney skin tires and bought retreads because we had no money. They did not hold up well even at speeds below 55 mph.

The other problem has been driving on rough roads covered with things like basalt which can fracture into sharp fragments. Modern radial tires have a lot of flex in the sidewall. Even 8 ply rated truck tires may have only a couple of plys in the sidewall and are prone to punctures.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
not living on the rd in my rv... yet.
but as a class A driver, even in citys one can wait ( for me ) up to 7 hrs. for a tire guy to show up. and tgat was on a major hwy in city limits. many tire shops with in 10 -15 miles. but not all deal with anything larger than a car or pu turck. and no rd service.
company paid for it so price is a ? for me.
mosy over the rd guys carry a spare tire some mounted some not. just need a couple spoons. 8 foot long cheater pipe. wrench/ socket. tire soap jug, 5 gallon bucket. and hope the bead seats up with no problems. if un mounted.
some service trucks are a huge rip off. and somehow never come equped with the corect sized tire, or it is a over priced junker. more delay (as in hrs).
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

kedanie
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
ppine wrote:

Donโ€™t believe he operates a class A. Profile shows a hybrid type trailer. Those without experience with large class A tires have no idea what they are talking about.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I carry one, unmounted, waiting for a deal on a rim. Love to get it out of the basement.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
ppine wrote:

obviously operator error. need to carry 7 spare tires?
bumpy

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel