cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Weight Distribution Bars

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks! I have sold my Wildcat 5th wheel and would like to possibly get an older or new retro trailer to go along with my old truck. Something around 17' and 3-4K in weight.The truck is a 1993 Dodge D 250 Diesel. Im checking on state laws but it seems to me that weight distribution bars on that heavy truck seem like overkill. Do I really need them? I may go back to a small fiver but cant find any retro ones. Thoughts?
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky
9 REPLIES 9

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Start with the ratings on the receiver, and the actual weight of the trailer tongue. If the trailer tongue's weight exceeds the weight-carrying rating on the receiver, you need the bars.

For example, if the receiver is rated for 1000lbs weight carrying, 1500lbs weight distributing, and the trailer's tongue is 750lbs, you do NOT need the bars, strictly for the receiver.

From a handling perspective, it is unlikely that anything less than around 800-900lbs on the tongue is going to adversely affect the handling of your 3/4 ton truck, especially with the heavy Cummins under the hood.

Like others have said, you may find that the bars make for a more comfortable tow, even though they are not necessarily necessary.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Brassica
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2800 pound TT and a half ton pickup truck to tow it with. The dealer said that we would experience a much better ride with a weight distributing hitch. Otherwise, the trailer would push the hitch ball up and down all day and transmit all that energy and motion to the rear suspension of the truck.

When we set the trailer on the ball before attaching the weight distribution bars, the suspension does not move by a lot. It would certainly be adequate for towing. When I attach the bars, the suspension recovers to a normal position.

If I rent a trailer to bring home rental equipment, I can tell the difference in the ride. I am quite happy with the WDH.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
....your hitch weight and hitch might be the deal-breaker. You'd have to look at your set-up, but many hitches are limited to 500 pounds of hitch weight without WD.

Yep, this is the limitation. If your receiver is rated for 1,000 lbs or so in WEIGHT CARRYING MODE then you're probably fine. On my '04 Chevy 2500 HD I had installed a Curt class V receiver that was rated for 1500 lbs in WC mode. With a solid forged drop shank I could tow my TT without a WD hitch and be well within the limits at 850 lbs tongue weight. However, I preferred the feel of the rock solid connection when using the WD hitch.

If your hitch has the rating, then give it a try with a proper drop shank hitch and see how it goes.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I would try it first.
I had a 93 D250 with the Cummins I bought new back in the day. While it's a great truck (bucket seats were the best I ever had), keep in mind it's not even close to having the towing capability of todays trucks. You probably already know all this but it's real weak point is the fact that the auto trans doesn't have a lockup converter and its planetary gear set is aluminum. Alum is ok unless the power has been turned up - which is so easy to do on those engines. If you tow in the hills, a trans temp gauge isa must.
This results in a LOT of heat in a weak trans. Maybe yours has been rebuilt by now with better parts but it's unlikely it locks up.
My TT was around 5K# and towed fine without the WDH setup, Then some stupid tire shop installed LR D tires on it and WDH was a must after that.
I often wonder what happen to my old 93 W350.

It had a cool Warn front bumper. I saw it once in North Seattle getting on the freeway after trading it in in Lynnwood on the the 2001.5. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! I will give it a try and see how it does. I actually replaced the frame hitch because of rust. The frame and truck are in great shape but didnt trust that old hitch. Tranny was totally overhauled at about 249000 miles so thats only got about 50K 0n that. Thanks also for the link to retro 5th wheels. They are beautiful!
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Bluhorn wrote:
Hi Folks! I have sold my Wildcat 5th wheel and would like to possibly get an older or new retro trailer to go along with my old truck. Something around 17' and 3-4K in weight.The truck is a 1993 Dodge D 250 Diesel. Im checking on state laws but it seems to me that weight distribution bars on that heavy truck seem like overkill. Do I really need them? I may go back to a small fiver but cant find any retro ones. Thoughts?

You could try it to see how it handles - not a ton of weight for that truck. That said, your hitch weight and hitch might be the deal-breaker. You'd have to look at your set-up, but many hitches are limited to 500 pounds of hitch weight without WD. You will quite possibly exceed 500 pounds of hitch weight with a 4k pound trailer.

Excellent point. I installed a reciever hitch on my 93. Not hard to do and very secure. There's also a nice wiring kit to add a 7 way without hacking.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Bluhorn wrote:

You could try it to see how it handles - not a ton of weight for that truck. That said, your hitch weight and hitch might be the deal-breaker. You'd have to look at your set-up, but many hitches are limited to 500 pounds of hitch weight without WD. You will quite possibly exceed 500 pounds of hitch weight with a 4k pound trailer.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Check these out:

Click here.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would try it first.
I had a 93 D250 with the Cummins I bought new back in the day. While it's a great truck (bucket seats were the best I ever had), keep in mind it's not even close to having the towing capability of todays trucks. You probably already know all this but it's real weak point is the fact that the auto trans doesn't have a lockup converter and its planetary gear set is aluminum. Alum is ok unless the power has been turned up - which is so easy to do on those engines. If you tow in the hills, a trans temp gauge isa must.
This results in a LOT of heat in a weak trans. Maybe yours has been rebuilt by now with better parts but it's unlikely it locks up.
My TT was around 5K# and towed fine without the WDH setup, Then some stupid tire shop installed LR D tires on it and WDH was a must after that.