cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mousetraps or not?

SmokinJoe73
Explorer
Explorer
So having some mouse stink issues. I park my tramper in a large lot in a NASCAR facility.
I have been having issues with the smell of mice. I don't leave food it it of course but I have left traps.
Its starting to seem that this may be a mistake since 2 weeks later when I return there is decomposed mouse.

What do you guys do and how do you deodorize the camper? I got some odor genie stuff from Walmart and clean rugs & upholstery with a tide & water mix.

And is it better to let them come & go without traps?
22 REPLIES 22

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Mouse traps work great, but the problem with these traps is that they kill them and then they hold them where they then rot. Unless you can get back to the TT every few days to check on them they decompose and stink.

I do not like using poison, but from what I have read, once ingested the mouse develops a big time thirst, takes off to find water, and dies elsewhere. Result is they are not dying inside your trailer and stinking up the place.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I use traps but I can check everyday.

Mice seem to be the luck of the draw, some years yes, some years no.

I have used a lot of Mouse repellents, they work unless the mice want in. I like peppermint oil, it smell nice whether it work or not.

The is little that can stop a sufficiently talented mouse.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
SmokinJoe73 wrote:
Good idea on looking for holes at night. Will do that.

I store my camper outdoor for the winter. Is it still worth putting the poison under it? Trying to get them before they enter right?

Yes. JustOne Bite also sells the blocks and pellits that are moisture resistant and won't mold. They are blue green in color. Winter IS the time to set out bait because they are looking for cover and food.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I use a couple of pieces of Tom Cat bait poison inside my camper and Tom Cat bait traps outside the camper and all around the trailer barn frame work. I also spend some time inside and outside the camper sealing every crack and hole .
I tried the peppermint oil on a rag and dryer sheets. All they did was make a sweet smiling nest for mice.
Dogs/cats/coons/possum'/owls/minks/etc and other animals can eat uncovered poison baits. That ain't good.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SmokinJoe73
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea on looking for holes at night. Will do that.

I store my camper outdoor for the winter. Is it still worth putting the poison under it? Trying to get them before they enter right?

waterboy502000
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Harbor Freight ad get some solar rope lighting. Get about three of them and place them all underneath. They have a "blink" mode so theyll blink all night. Mice wont get near them. About $10 each w/ cupon or about $14 without. If you dont have one where you live look on line.
Good Luck!
2015 Jayco Precept 31UL, 6.8L, 362 hp, 1994 Tracker, Sterling All Terrain

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BTW. Have you checked for open holes under your TT?

The manufacture of these RV's drill 'oversized holes' for electric and plumbing and do NOT fill them in. That is how mice get into your RV.

Go out at night and turn all the lights on in your TT.

Crawl underneath and be amazed just how many rays of light you see coming from all the open holes on your TT. Fill all the openings with steel wool, then with Great Stuff. They now make a Great Stuff with rodent deterrent.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you use mouse traps and do not check them DAILY you will have even a worse smell from the decaying mouse.

And 'that' smell can NEVER be taken out of an RV. Been there done that when I went to buy a TT. Owner tried everything and could NOT get the smell out from a dead mouse left in his TT. And it really stunk you couldn't spend more than a second in this poor guys TT.

Putting mouse poison under and all around the outside of your RV is really the only way. Double up 'around' AND 'on top of each tire' and anywhere else your TT touches the ground. Bars and small packets are the best.

Buy this product, which is sometimes hard to find, IMHO is the ONLY one that works. Bars and the packets work the best. Check out your local feed stores and/or TSC etc.

Just One Bite

SmokinJoe73
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I am making one of those as we speak. You can buy a ball bearing rolling log which is what I did.

Will report in the spring.

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
We use what is called an “Adirondack Mouse Trap” in this neck of the woods both in our RV and hunting camp over the winter. Without going into a bunch of detail, it is made with a bucket, some wire, a scrap board, and an empty beer or soda can. A Google search will give you all the details if desired. We bait with peanut butter on the can and use about 1-1/2” of RV antifreeze in the bucket. The antifreeze prevents the odor problem being discussed here. I get about a half dozen mice in the bucket at hunting camp and 1 or 2 in the RV each winter.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

SmokinJoe73
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I got some fresh cab as well as this stuff https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Odor-Pro-Commercial-Eliminator/dp/B01DVFFUVE/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536611050&sr=8-21-spons&keywords=professional+deodorizer&psc=1

This odor zero order pro is amazing used it in my house to test it. Makes every smell super clean. Not like Lysol or chemical clean but just fresh clean.

If you haven't tried it you should.

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
We've had mice in our old hunting camp for decades and have tried various things like peppermint oil and Fresh Cab. If you read reviews of Fresh Cab you'll find it's about equally split between "works great!" and "doesn't work at all". Same with peppermint oil and many other folk remedies. There is more than one species of mouse, and it's my belief that some of these products will work wonderfully on certain species and not at all on others. Not at all was the result we got in the cabin with Fresh Cab and peppermint oil. Just kept trapping.

In my camper, I've left traps in it full time and had no mice whatsoever until a few weeks ago I caught two. No more since then. I think when I was going in and out the screen door (in my yard), I sort of swung it shut and it bounced open and I didn't notice it for a while.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
There are deodorizers that will eliminate the odor in the air but unless you can spray the affected area the odor will return. I have used this one in our cabin after a winter of rat and mouse partying. It eliminated the odor after I sprayed the walls and all areas where the feces and urine had accumulated. Link
Turret Class traveler

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I use a couple cats in the bay where I keep my unit in the winter. Never a rodent issue. Tabby's are great mousers.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB