cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Still trying to connect Toad

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Receiver on coach is @ 26", Connector pins on Toad @ 16". Am being told I need an 8" drop down receiver. Is it safe to use? Seems like a lot of pressure is going to be on those welds, especially in a turn.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing as you noted the torque load on the receiver will be GREAT. so the question is how much is the hitch rated for... Figure with an 8" drop.. half that at the most.. I'm did not get far enough along in my Engineering studies to say more.

I towed a 4,000 pound with a 4" drop and tore the 5,000 pound hitch right off the rig.. The weld shop that re-bulit it re BUILT!!!!! it.. I have had no problems since.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Just some quick back of envelope math says I'd have to raise the front wheels over 10" before it would be an issue. I think I would avoid that gas station. Not arguing, but if this math works out, I'm not going to worry about it. Don't need my chain.
Bob & Lynn

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 dog nights wrote:
Thinking of attaching a piece of chain or something, paint it a bright color, then letting it hang just below the drop hitch. Maybe an inch or two. If I'm going to drag, the chain would be playing out before the hitch touches. I would see this in the rear monitor. Still a thought in process, so bear with me.

OK, lets assume that you see in your monitor that the chain indicates that you are going to drag....WHAT THEN?????
I doubt if you will be able to back up with your toad to avoid an area where you might drag. Do you disconnect the toad and remove the drop hitch so that your coach can pass over the area without dragging?
After that, do you then pull the coach over, drive the toad up to the coach, reinstall the drop hitch, reconnect everything, and then continue your journey, 30 minutes or so later and with a few people in line behind you?

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I had to use a 6" dropdown in my old setup also. The dropdown was about $90, and was very strongly built, just like the actual hitch on the RV.
It's the choice between dropdown and uneven tow bar. No question which is more important.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of attaching a piece of chain or something, paint it a bright color, then letting it hang just below the drop hitch. Maybe an inch or two. If I'm going to drag, the chain would be playing out before the hitch touches. I would see this in the rear monitor. Still a thought in process, so bear with me.
Bob & Lynn

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Consider if the drop hitch will cause you to drag. The 4 inch drop we are required to use on our 30 ft. Class C to tow a Focus drags easily enough that I always have to watch drives into gas stations, etc.
Jayco-noslide

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Thats why my hitch is 4in up and 4in down of center, 8 in drop hitch, and i only gas up at Costco gas stations,pleany of room,cheepest gas, and NO dips or curbs to go into. just my opinion.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Got it! It's a Jeep Wrangler. No Problem mon!
Bob & Lynn

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My tow bar manual

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inspect it often and don't go CHEAP. You get what you pay for. Stay away from Ebay and Chinese stuff...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When using a drop that large, it is something that you want to inspect regularly as you travel. The welds will hold just fine, and as mentioned, are designed for the loads that they are exposed to from your toad.
They are however NOT designed to be dragged on the ground/concrete and those "reverse" loads can weaken or break the welds if your drop hitch catches on a driveway or dip in the road while you travel. The problem is that this is way behind you and you may never hear or feel this happening so as long as you inspect your complete hitch assembly at every stop, you should be fine. If you even suspect that you may have dragged your hitch, stop then and check for damage.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Receiver on coach is @ 26", Connector pins on Toad @ 16". Am being told I need an 8" drop down receiver. Is it safe to use? Seems like a lot of pressure is going to be on those welds, especially in a turn.

Based on your statement, you have a 10" difference between the centerline height of the receiver and the centerline height of the toads connection points, correct? If so, to get your tow bar completely flat and level, you'll need a 10" drop extension. But, most towbar manufactures are ok with a 4" swing. That is, two inches up or down from dead level.

In that case, an 8" drop extension would work just fine. Yes, there's gonna be some strain on it and any welds associated with it. No big deal. Especially if you purchase a commercial one. Those boys know what kind of stress is going to be applied so, the proper procedures are used for the welding process. You'll be just fine. Just make sure you have enough clearance for dips and things so you won't scrape it (the 8" drop extension).
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they are safe. For extra security I would get one rated for 10,000 lbs min. While not quite as much of a drop, I used a 6" drop 10K one for years with a 7,500lb race trailer without issue.