cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HURRICANE COMING

Gone_fishing1
Explorer
Explorer
We have hurricane Florence on the way with 140 mph winds. Is it recommended to put the jacks down or keep the up?

Thanks for any help from someone who has road one of the out.

Bob
2016 Itasca Sunstar toad 2006 Dakota.
51 REPLIES 51

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When Matthew hit GA I was parked 3 miles from the mandatory get out of here line (I-85) on the safe side. No damage but I did burn a bunch of gas running the generator. Still.. My best advice is when you find a hurricane coming. GET OUTTA THERE.. I mean if you are an RVer. best thing to do is GO. pack up the "Houe" (RV) and GO. get out of the way. be elsewhere.. Blown engine or I'd have been long gone.

Now I have a new engine and I'm in an area where hurricanes are .. Scattered showers (And we are scattered) Tornados are an issue but none predicted close to me (or this side of a big river from me).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We came back to NC on Wend, the 26th, and other than some limbs down everything here is fine. Water got up to the WV place but other than that it escaped to. Trust me, it poured rain in MD. Went to Annapolis one day and the city dock was flooded. We had planned to go on up to Philly but cancelled that because of the rain. Maybe later. Going to Pigeon Forge 20 Oct.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We told you everything would be OK! glad you are safe.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to hear that everything worked out this time. You were one of the lucky ones. :B

Gone_fishing1
Explorer
Explorer
Well Florence came ashore with 115 MPH sustained winds and 125 to 130 gusts at the mouth of New River. I live on the river. No serious problems lots of trees down and limbs to clean up. Camper did great. Rocked and rolled a little but did not move at all. I kept the jacks up and the slide in. Was without power for a little over a week and the AC in the camper was GREAT.

Everyone has to make their own decisions on what to do but mined worked out fine.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes we noticed that. Supposed to go up the Ohio river valley in WV and we have a hunting camp up there. Darn thing is chasing me around. Saw a family, 3 generations + 3 dogs, that had packed into 3 vans and escaped the east. They didn't know if they had a home to go back to so we gave them a McDonalds card for $50 and some cash to help them as they were looking pretty bad to us. Hard to imagine losing everything just like that.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Be careful. Florence is supposed to turn and head up over Maryland, too.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
looks like we escaped here in SW Durham with nothing more than a little wind and some rain. Going 60mi West today to check on our country place then up to MD to see how the DP has done since we left it there 2 weeks ago.....hope everyone did well and our prayers go out to those in Wilmington and the other areas hit hard by this. I-95 will be closed from Lumberton, NC South at least till Monday.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, I hope he is OK!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 dead in Wilmington and its sort of stalled, pouring rain here in Durham at 5pm

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope the OP, Bob, is doing well. Florence came ashore a few miles south of him which means he is going to get the higher winds and rain for as much as 24 hours. I wish him well and hopefully he will check in when he gets a chance.
Prayers to anyone else that is dealing with this storm.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
My nephew was camping with a pretty large trailer camper, they had 70 mph winds and it blew it off from the jacks and took the awning off. A tree hit a fifth wheel and almost cut it in two pieces. I would be moving!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
this morning it has been down graded to a class 2. still wind and rain problems predicted.

Gone_fishing1
Explorer
Explorer
After doing some thinking I am going to keep the jacks up. I went through a typhoon on Guam with 200 mph winds and it slide my volkswagen bus sideways in the car port. Don't want to bend the jacks. Will post with final results once we get power and internet back up.