Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Roof Replacement

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks,
We are in the midst of replacing the roof on our 2011 37' Carriage Cameo. We believe the damage was sustained by the installer of the AC units, as it is a direct puncture (vertically) through the EPDM, wood decking, etc.

We have received a preliminary estimate from the shop of $12k for the roof replacement. This includes removing/reinstalling AC units, vents, skylights, etc. Also, the estimate is preliminary as they have provided this estimate without them seeing the rig at all.

Does 12k sound right to you guys? I was thinking $5-7k maybe, but 12k? Wow - that just seems like a ton of dough.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Tom
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
18 REPLIES 18

rcjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I know a reputable RV repair guy that will do it for $3500 and do a pretty good job. Only problem is that he is about one hour north of Denver, CO.

This individual has rebuilt my rear wall and repaired structural damage and installed a new roof after a tree branch strike in the past couple of years.

elkfarmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a few others have said if it is just a puncture I would fill the hole with a good polyurethane and let it dry. Eternabond it and squirt dicor around the edges and leave it. Those trailers have a 1/2" deck. I don't believe a puncture would warrant a full roof replacement. Save the money for the next rig. A patch is no big deal. If the hole came through the interior luan hang a new smoke detector there..)
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m
2016 Ram 3500
1992 Newmar Kountry Star
!998 Alpenlite 29RK(sold)

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an add on Craigslist for a guy who comes to you and replaces the roof. I asked for a quote for a 31' fiver with 3 vents, 1 ac and plumbing vents. He said $2700 but I have not seen the work

SmokinJoe73
Explorer
Explorer
This seems relevant too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FjyehSLYJM

SmokinJoe73
Explorer
Explorer
New rubber roofs themselves are not crazy expensive.
Found this https://www.recpro.com/exterior-parts/roofing/rubber-roof/8-5-wide-epdm-rv-rubber-roof-kit/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8uLcBRACEiwAaL6MSRfCMra3-9N6vAtrtJ8DZw5795se1JJmGz2pFx9iqFJgNcHUlfOrnxoCW3UQAvD_BwE

I am a diy'er and would repair the area first. Or if needed a whole new roof is less cost than the coating.

You should keep looking for a camper guy with roof experience

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
tomthyme wrote:
campinghut wrote:
How about something like RV armour or another form of coating

Good thought - we looked at that and spoke with a few folks. The biggest drawback we found was that any new product install (solar, wifi stuff, etc.) would require another trip to the roof vendor.

Also, we are probably 2-3 years away from swapping rigs anyway.

Again, good thought though.

Thanks!
I'd at least get a quote from FlexArmor - they are in TX in Bertram, Denton, and Houston. Ask them what happens if you want to install solar, etc. after the fact.

This is a lifetime guarantee against the roof leaking and the warranty transfers to the new owner. Think about telling THAT to someone who may be interested in buying it in a few years when you are ready to swap.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
It sounds high but hard to say what assumptions. If they haven't seen it yet, they may have gone high assuming a lot of structural repair before they can put the roof on...a lot easier to come back and say it's $7k once they are done than to say it's $7k then come back with a $12k bill.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

path1
Explorer
Explorer
At our snowbird park a person got rv armor and couple years later skylight leaked, replaced skylight and so much for rv armor guarantee.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.eternabond.com/Professional-Roof-Repair-Products-s/21.htm

I would look close to this product for a permanent fix for one or several holes in the roof before spending thousands...unless your just wanting a new roof.

Also let google (rv roof repair/etc) be your friend for showing how the pros do it.
Be sure and follow Eternabond exact instructions....not some rv owner who's only experience is his one rv job.

Eternabond when installed per instructions and seal the edges with self leveling Dicor will last as long as the roof membrane.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Waiting on Sept. 24th to get a new roof at the insurance company's expense due to a tree limb. 28' TT with one air conditioner, one bath fan, two plumbing vents and the TV antenna - $5,200.

I know a guy that got an estimate of $8k to RV armor roof his 42โ€™ fifth wheel.. that was in the fall of last year, AND they come to you... ALL the work is done where ever you are parked..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

path1
Explorer
Explorer
About 5 years ago... at a RV fix it place that is not a dealer and takes appointment to get in. 110 a running foot and 100 a hole (vent or any hole they have to make, skylights, a/c, even vents on tank, (only 2 inch hole) etc) Does not include any replacing of wood, that would be at shop hourly rate time and materials. Or any new vents, covers etc. That is what worried me. What if they stripped off old roof and there was lots of damage to wood. Price would be sky high to pay someone to rip off old wood and replace. Wife being a retired building manager called and talked with her old roofing contractor, EPDM and rubber roofs also used on regular buildings also for many years. He recommended checking out https://inlandcoatings.com/product/rc-2016/

I called inland coatings and they had sales rep contact me. Turns out he also has an RV and gave me lots of hints for applying and how to's. I ended up paying $48.00 per gallon at roofing supply house (instead of $110.00 at RV dealer for other roof coating stuff) Total I spent less than $200.00 about 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. I don't cover my rv in winter and I get lots of rain. Read their case history's. In my area they did big project https://inlandcoatings.com/case_studies/a-sound-solution/ But not sure about your area with lots of sun. At the time I figured the worst is I would be out $200.00 if it didn't work.
Use brush, not roller, apply second coat, then another coat following year. Can't over emphasize prep work, so you start with clean sub surface and removing a/c is a learning experaince first time. Takes long time to dry (days) because brush is applied thicker, but gets into tiny cracks better.

This was done on our small class C "Majestic" (old ex-rental). Next summer going to do our 30 Arctic Fox trailer. Our Majestic actually has thicker EPDM than our Arctic Fox. My Arctic Fox dealer does take off from trade in value because of a coated roof. But in his used rv side, lots of trade in's with out new roofs. So just a bargaining chip IMO.

Anyways...Just my opinion after doing my own 5 years ago. I'm very happy with end result. Neighbor did it also but used stuff he got from big box store and only used a roller. Didn't turn out as well IMO.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
tomthyme wrote:
Hello Folks,
We are in the midst of replacing the roof on our 2011 37' Carriage Cameo. We believe the damage was sustained by the installer of the AC units, as it is a direct puncture (vertically) through the EPDM, wood decking, etc.

We have received a preliminary estimate from the shop of $12k for the roof replacement. This includes removing/reinstalling AC units, vents, skylights, etc. Also, the estimate is preliminary as they have provided this estimate without them seeing the rig at all.

Does 12k sound right to you guys? I was thinking $5-7k maybe, but 12k? Wow - that just seems like a ton of dough.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Tom

Tom, is there only 1 place to get a roof quote from? Might want to check around and see. I agree that, if you choose to have this done, look at the options of a "hard" roof, like RV Armor, or the like, and pay the difference, if any. For me, I'd hammer the cr@p out of the installer, then simply patch the roof. Might fill the hole in the wood with liquid nails, then some dicor on top of that, then eternabond on top of the dicor.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
33' motorhome 3 years ago - insurance paid $6,000 for roof replacement
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft