cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 to-1 ton comparison

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting article that breaks down the real difference between current 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/09/pickup-trucks-101-how-do-srw-2500s-and-3500s-differ.html
33 REPLIES 33

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Not only that, but in many cases the diesel version has a higher rated front GAWR than the gassers to compensate for the added engine weight. In the case of my Ram, the front GAWR is 500 lbs higher than the gas version.

Shiner, is there any physical difference to the front axle on a gasser vs a diesel to account for that difference in rating? Are the springs slightly stiffer or something? I've never noticed that there was a difference...

I thought the 6.4 2500s were the same 6000/6500, at least those with the 18" or 20" tires (which has to be about all of them). I could be mistaken, though. I think the only difference is heavier springs on the diesels to deal with the extra weight.

I looked at the spec sheet in 2014 when I bought mine, the 4x4 2500/3500 6.4L had a 5,500 front GAWR and the 4x4 2500/3500 diesels had a 6,000 front GAWR.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Not only that, but in many cases the diesel version has a higher rated front GAWR than the gassers to compensate for the added engine weight. In the case of my Ram, the front GAWR is 500 lbs higher than the gas version.

Shiner, is there any physical difference to the front axle on a gasser vs a diesel to account for that difference in rating? Are the springs slightly stiffer or something? I've never noticed that there was a difference...

The axles are the same. As far as the front coils, I don't know the actual specs, but I do know there are at least 8 different part numbers on Mopar parts online. I which Ram would go into more detail in their body builder like Ford does in their spec sheets.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

I thought the 6.4 2500s were the same 6000/6500, at least those with the 18" or 20" tires (which has to be about all of them). I could be mistaken, though. I think the only difference is heavier springs on the diesels to deal with the extra weight.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Rather B Fishin wrote:
The payload difference is the difference in weight of a diesel vs the gas engine which is about 800lbs. A similarly equipped gasser will always have more payload rating than a diesel. Always.

Most of that weight goes to the front axle. Unless you are hauling a truck camper the difference is irrelevant.

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather B Fishin wrote:
The payload difference is the difference in weight of a diesel vs the gas engine which is about 800lbs. A similarly equipped gasser will always have more payload rating than a diesel. Always.

Most of that weight goes to the front axle. Unless you are hauling a truck camper the difference is irrelevant.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Rather_B_Fishin
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350, CCLB, XLT, 6.2L, 4.30's
2005 Four Wheel Camper - Grandby
2020 GD Reflection 337RLS 5'er (for sale)
Going back to a truck camper...

Bedlam
I see it posted often in the truck camper section about someone buying a gasser instead of diesel to get more payload, yet the rear weighs the same on both configurations of the same truck, so the payload difference is due to the limit on GVWR in that Class of truck and not due to capacity.

My F250 came with the standard 17" wheels that were rated lower than the optional 18" - The F350 of that era came with the higher rated 18's as stock. I was able to buy a new set of dealer take-off mounted 18's for less than just replacing my 17" tires, so I now owned a F250 with OEM optional suspension and tires that was identical to a F350 except for the badging and 2" lower rear axle block. In current models, there is more is more difference between the two Ford trucks but not really that much.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"So again, the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the rear suspension."

That is what carries MOST of the weight. With my hitch full forward and full RAWR I add under 200# to the front axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
I'm aware of the marketers...everyone knows what you mean when you ask about a Dodge pickup

My apologies. I generally try to use correct terms when I talk. You chose another route. Kudos for innovation...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:

The few Rams I saw on lots when I was shopping that had the 5.7 also had 17" wheels and tires that were rated lower than the 18"/20" combos on all of the 6.4/Cummins trucks.

So it's not the engine holding it back. Upgrade to the bigger wheels and you should get the same payload...or can't you get the bigger wheels with the 5.7?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
spoon059 wrote:

To clarify... Dodge doesn't make the trucks anymore, its a Ram.

I'm aware of the marketers...everyone knows what you mean when you ask about a Dodge pickup
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Would have been nice if they put it in tabular form.

Obviously, the duallies are a different ballgame but other than the Dodge, it looks like it's mostly the rear suspension still.

To clarify... Dodge doesn't make the trucks anymore, its a Ram.

Also, the difference in the 6.7 Ram 2500 and 3500 is also just the rear suspension. The rear coils in the 2500 are rated exactly 500 lbs less than the the rear leaf suspension of the 3500.

Technically the 6.4 has a different transmission then the 6.7... but everything else is identical to the 6.7 configurations. So again, the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the rear suspension.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
philh wrote:
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
What I don't get is how Ram has a higher GVWR/payload for the 6.4 Hemi vs 5.7.

Makes no sense why a bigger engine can CARRY more. They both have enough raw power to tow way more than their payload.

To get people to purchase the higher profit margin engine.

Torque and cooling

The Cummins have the lowest payload of them all...

I ask because DOT scales here do enforce GVWR. They don't care how much you tow (as that's a powertrain warranty spec).

Seems stupid the weight capacity is held back by a lower spec powertrain. I agree profit margins is all I can think of.

The GVWR your truck is registered and paid for or the GVWR from the sticker that is on your door? These can be two different numbers. I have never heard of cops being able to enforce the manufacturers GVWR. I have heard of them enforcing registered GVWR.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD