cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best sewer hose?

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Just completed a shakedown cruise on my new (to me) fifth wheeler. Most of the systems worked well except the sewer hose. This is one item I don't mind spending a little money on to prevent future blow-outs or spills.

First of all, what is a proper length? 20 feet seems rational to me but more experienced RV'ers are welcome to weigh in. What's the best brand and model for the hose? Here's few I found on Amazon.

• Camco 39625 Revolution 20' Sewer Hose Kit with 360 Degree Swivel Fittings and 4-in1 Elbow Adapter
  • Camco RhinoEXTREME 20ft RV Sewer Hose Kit, Includes Swivel Fitting and Translucent Elbow with 4-In-1 Dump Station Fitting, Crush Resistant, Storage Caps Included
  • Valterra D04-0475 Gray 20' Viper Sewer Hose Kit

The Lippert is a lot of money. Is it worth it? Metal or plastic hose support?

:?
41 REPLIES 41

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The PresToFit used to be a quality product, no longer sad to say.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Valterra "Dominator" setup. Thought it was their "BEST" but the "Viper" is the one I really wanted. After 3 years of full time use the Dominator has been great. If you step on it it will bend the coils. From what I have read the Viper will keep it'a shape.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Carrying around a rigid piece of PVC seems it would be a pain for storage....

Um... not really. 2008, my previous camper:

Although I no longer have the trailer in these photos, I did keep the tube and the trays I put together. The tube is 10 feet long. With my current camper, I had no need to use it. So, it's just hanging in my utility shed now, waiting for another opportunity to be used for something some day.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
One tip that I got here this summer was to lay whatever hose you use in a piece of plastic pvc gutter. It worked like a charm for even support.

Carrying around a rigid piece of PVC seems it would be a pain for storage.

Here is what I bought and it works like charm accommodating the rise to your RV and the fall to the sewage hookup creating a good flow level, and is expandable and twist-able to go around trees etc.
Best part is it folds up for storage. :C

Called the sidewinder and found at Walmart.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
One tip that I got here this summer was to lay whatever hose you use in a piece of plastic pvc gutter. It worked like a charm for even support.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
obie311 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

I'm still unclear on which Rhino hose is getting the most recs. The regular RhinoFLEX (black) or the RhinoEXTREME (orange and black)??

Here is the Camco catalog. Starting at page 154 is their various sewer hose systems.

Camco Catalog

Looks like the thickness of the Rhinoflex is the same as the Rhinoflex Extreme (23mil), but the Extreme has a bulb of plastic on the peaks of the corrugations, to prevent abrasion when you drag it around. We've probably got folks who use all the variations around here. Mine is the stuff that starts on page 162.

My opinion is that if you want a quality hose, stay away from those that have a steel spiral. Not that there is anything wrong with those, but they are essentially the same stinky slinky stuff that you can get from lots of different sources. It wants to constantly contract, just like a toy slinky. The Rhinoflex doesn't do that. You pull it to expand the length, and each spiral pops out into shape and stays there. To store it you push them together and they pop into that contracted shape, and it stays contracted. It is a spiral, but it acts more like a series of concentric rings, if that makes any sense.

Now that I look at the Extreme again, I don't think it has that snap action. That would be a negative in my estimation. Someone might correct me on that. But you can step on it and not damage it, so there is that feature. I would not want to step on my regular Rhinoflex. I'm sure it would kink, but it would pop back too.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
obie311 wrote:

I'm still unclear on which Rhino hose is getting the most recs. The regular RhinoFLEX (black) or the RhinoEXTREME (orange and black)??

I had to check sources online, and I believe mine is the regular Camco Rhinoflex, NOT their extreme version. The fittings are orange, the locking collars are black, and the hose is sorta brownish gray. The hose does not have orange spiral around them.

Looks to me like the Extreme has a thicker wall to the hose (23 mil). I could not find the thickness quoted on the lower model. But I definitely find the thickness to be more than adequate. My guess is the fittings are the same for both types.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
Waste master sewer hose is the best if you will to spend more money.

I agree, I have the self storing system and its awesome but not cheap.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

obie311
Explorer
Explorer

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Rhino flex. We have a 10 and a 15 . Walmart
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Blueline ultimate kit

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Prest-o-fit

yep when I carry a back up stinky slinky I use a prest-0-fit as it is easy to slide off the large fittings and then it fits in standard hose carriers.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Prest-o-fit
I actually use the Rhino version of this one. Press to Fit works surprisingly well. I have never had it come apart and it's easier to use than common, twist lock type hoses.
Those rigid wire-reinforced hoses are so difficult to join. I carry 3 lengths of the prest, and connecting is easy and leak-free.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Prest-o-fit

I actually use the Rhino version of this one. Press to Fit works surprisingly well. I have never had it come apart and it's easier to use than common, twist lock type hoses.