cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DP engine choices and emissions

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
So, still doing my research. In my other thread someone mentioned only looking at side radiators. I`m guessing cooling is the issue? If not why?
Looks like Cummins powers the majority of the pushers I`m finding which is fine by me as that is the diesel schooling I have. I know the years for Dodges as far as DPF and what to avoid, but on the commercial chassis when did they go DPF?

I`m finding a few Damon Astoria`s that we like. well under $100k with 3 slides and bunks and have fairly low miles as far as RV`s go. I found one that has no options then another that looks pretty well appointed. How are the Damons as far as quality?

I`m sure I`ll have a lot more questions coming.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
11 REPLIES 11

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
If you could move JUST the radiator to the side, I would agree that it;s a better solution. However you also need to move the fan and the hoses leading to and from the radiator. Now, instead of having say 4 feet of rubber hose to catch a rock or a tire tread and spring a leak, you're presenting 15 feet of hose to the elements.

Instead of a simple belt driven fan, you now have a maze of hydraulics to run the fan on the side. I don't know why they went with hydraulics instead of a simpler electric fan. Apparently the mechanical engineers are king at Cummins.

It's just 5 more things to break.

Actually, the fan mounting is not designed by Cummins engineers, but rather the chassis builder, (i.e. Freightliner or Spartan). Spartan uses a hydraulic motor to run the fan and FL has a belt driven pulley that rotates a shaft that is connected to a right angle gear box that rotates a shaft that is connected to an electric clutch that runs the side mounted fan! Not sure which is worse as both are known to fail! However with a side mount radiator (and despite a >$1000 repair for which ever fan drive system fails) you can easily change your $15 belt. Oh, and the side mount radiator needs to be cleaned out periodically also.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The DEF coaches also have the DPF and regeneration cycles. We had no problem with our '08 Dynasty's DPF and regen system. It would regen once about every 8K-10K miles.

Our current coach has DEF and DPF and runs quite smoothly. No problems at all in almost four years and 45,000 miles.

Prevost has started putting electric fans on the side radiator (I think 7 fans) starting in the 2019 models. They will reverse as needed to push out debris/snow, etc. Very sophisticated.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
The Cummins in the middle period -with DPF but no DEF- are known for poor mileage and more problematic emissions equipment. Iโ€™m happy with the DEF coach. MPG equivalent or better than pre-emissions engines, more power, and my toad does not turn black.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm sure of the years 04/07/10. A lot of 07 rigs could have a 06 engine as the chassis could have been built before 1/1/2007. Monaco bought up hundreds of 06 engines...probably because of the increasing cost of a 07. I saw a 09 Monaco with a 06 engine...easy enough to tell, just look at the exhaust.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
So far there has been three emissions changes...2004 (EGR), 2007 (DPF), and 2010 (DEF); BUT some manufactures bought up extra 2006 engines. I made sure my 08 Navigator (Monaco) had a 06 engine...no particular filter (NO DPF) and No regeneration.

I would say a side radiator is primarily a length saving device, less rear overhang...less hitch dragging.

Do not know anything about Damon.

I did the same thing regarding the 06 non DPF engine in my Camelot.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in the previous post, having the rad in the rear does require yearly cleanings, and having the CAC in front of the radiator presents addition grime accumulation issues. The biggest problem occurs when the slobber tube (crankcase vent) dumps out under the coach and adds oil to the mix. It's a fairly easy fix to re-route the crankcase vent output.

If you could move JUST the radiator to the side, I would agree that it;s a better solution. However you also need to move the fan and the hoses leading to and from the radiator. Now, instead of having say 4 feet of rubber hose to catch a rock or a tire tread and spring a leak, you're presenting 15 feet of hose to the elements.

Instead of a simple belt driven fan, you now have a maze of hydraulics to run the fan on the side. I don't know why they went with hydraulics instead of a simpler electric fan. Apparently the mechanical engineers are king at Cummins.

It's just 5 more things to break.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I like to open up my Engine door and be able to see the whole motor can also change the belt in five minutes with the side radiator. With the rear would probably take five days lol

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Didnโ€™t think of the maintenance aspect of it. That makes sense.

On the DPF, are you sure on the years? I know that the Cummins was clean enough to go a year or two longer without the DEF, I was hoping the commercial chassis waited a few more years. Iโ€™ll have to do some more searching I guess.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
A couple things with the side radiator vs rear radiator. Some rear radiator models plug up with road grime and should be frequently cleaned, notice how the back of your coach gets dirty from the dirt swirled up behind the unit ? Now have that dirty air sucked into your radiator by the engine fan. Secondly is ease of maintenance. Changing an engine drive belt, alternator, etc etc is much easier without a radiator in the way. If I were in the market, I'd be looking at side rads too. Good Luck!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
So far there has been three emissions changes...2004 (EGR), 2007 (DPF), and 2010 (DEF); BUT some manufactures bought up extra 2006 engines. I made sure my 08 Navigator (Monaco) had a 06 engine...no particular filter (NO DPF) and No regeneration.

I would say a side radiator is primarily a length saving device, less rear overhang...less hitch dragging.

Do not know anything about Damon.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
S In my other thread someone mentioned only looking at side radiators. I`m guessing cooling is the issue? If not why?

From what I've read, easier maintenance is one of the reasons a side radiator is a good choice.