cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV HD set up

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I have and use a direct tv 18" round and tripod now for 8 years and can get it set up in minutes. I would like to start using a HD dish and tripod. I am looking for help from anyone that uses A HD dish and tripod. How hard is it and what if any apps do you use or meters? I am not interested in Dish or any other set up or domes Ect. Just some help from users that use HD dish and tripod. Thanks in advance
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog
12 REPLIES 12

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Been doing this for years. At first it was a challenge, especially because there were no beeps in the HD receivers. They are back now, which helps a great deal.

Do all Directv HD receivers have the audible signal strength meters?

Also, I have always thought there was a little lag time between when the sat antenna locked on the HD signal and it registered on the signal strength meter. Maybe I'm wrong.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:
I know one person who uses the old style "Squeal-o-meter" to home in on the satellites.
You mean the receiver beeps?

I believe it's recommended to shoot the 101 with no skew. I find skew to be the least important setting.

That is not the recommendation. Unless you are in the Central US (along a N/S line including the E/W borders of TX) then you need to set the skew to get a good signal from 99 and 103.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with two old men . TV4RV tripod. Its the way to go. That what I have used for about three years. I just use a cheep sat finder. After that I fine adjust while my wife watches the signal power.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
I know one person who uses the old style "Squeal-o-meter" to home in on the satellites.
You mean the receiver beeps?

I believe it's recommended to shoot the 101 with no skew. I find skew to be the least important setting.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have been doing DTV HD with a portable antenna for the last 6 years. Once you get the hang of it, it normally takes under 10 minutes start to finish. Start with a good tripod (like others I use and recommend the TV4RV one). Get it level and oriented towards the satellites. Use one of the dishpointer apps on your phone to ensure there is a clear shot to the satellites. I use the dishpointer.com web site to get the specific azimuth, elevation and skew for my location. (hint: do it ahead of time and then you are ready to setup as soon as you arrive). Set the elevation and skew on the antenna before you mount it on the tripod. A compass will show you where to point the antenna. Plop the antenna on the mount and you should be close. To home in on the signal I use a Sat Look Lite signal finder. But others use the receiver and its builtin signal meter. I know one person who uses the old style "Squeal-o-meter" to home in on the satellites. The key is to lock in on the 101 satellite. Do that and 99/103 will also be there (assuming the skew is anywhere close to the prescribed value).
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
I would love a dome self finding but don't want to purchase and have it be no good when they make there changes. Plus i really want HD we have such nice TV it seems a waist to watch in SD.
I don't think you'd have a technical problem with the dome, but they're just so darned expensive!

It is a waste to feed it SD.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone!!!!! With the uncertainty of Direct tv and standard def I think this is the best way to go. I would love a dome self finding but don't want to purchase and have it be no good when they make there changes. Plus i really want HD we have such nice TV it seems a waist to watch in SD.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing this for years. At first it was a challenge, especially because there were no beeps in the HD receivers. They are back now, which helps a great deal.

My best advice to you is to get a GOOD TRIPOD. Tv4rv is a good online shop to find them. Slimline dishes are heavy, so you need a good base which is easy to adjust and get plumb. Getting it plumb means the gradations for elevation on the dish will be correct. And, when set up properly, they stay where you put them and don't allow the dish to get off signal in wind. Make sure you also get a dish with the proper post to fit into the tripod.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's really not much more difficult to setup an HD dish as it is the 18 inch. The 3 satellites are right there side by side so you do the same routine you would do to locate the 101 satellite but you have to add in a plumb and level mast (very important) and then just set the skew (tilt) for the dish to the appropriate angle. It should not take more than a few more minutes to get it all set.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a multi-sat dish (18x22) with a SL3 lnb for HD. If you plumb your small diameter post (you can use your current tripod with a multi-sat dish) and then set the skew all you have to do is peak 101 and your done.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
The receiver tells you all you need but we have found Dishpointer Pro works well so you don't get any trees etc. in the way. After that, from years ago we have Satfinder.

The Genie receiver has sound bars that tell you your sat strength by sound. We turn the volume on the tv up full, open a window and I can hear when I am locked in by the sound. We just discovered this and have now used it 3-4 times, works great.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Before I switched to dish a couple of months ago, I went down your path.

I have the 18" SD dish and can get it setup in less than 10 minutes.
I moved to the HD (with the power injector) as well, and as with the 18" round it took a while to get it working, the first time - adn the second time.

The hardest part is knowing what your skew needs to be. Also unlike the SD setup - which is you get the signal as high as you can and you're done - you have to get the signal as high as you can, then set the skew and it can (and did for me) throw off my signal strength.

What I found was it's a learning curve but if you're patient and you don't rush it, it's about a 20 minute time frame for me (the 3td and last time I did it).

FWIW, when I moved to dish, what I was pleasantly surprised was the technology they have integrated into their receivers - which Directv seems to have not kept up with.

One more thing. You don't have to move to dish to take it with you. you can purchase your own receiver (which you can't do with Directv) and connect it to whatever satellite dish you want (one that's designed for dish) and use it as you need it - leaving your DTV at home and using dish on the road.

I know. a pain, but you pays you go - and the satetllite dish is about the same as an 18" dish for directv. There are always options!

Hell.. if you're in a place with internet, you can stream what you have at home on your phone. No dish required on the road! ๐Ÿ™‚