cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gasoline transfer tank for truck question

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
I have been thinking of installing a gasoline fuel transfer tank in the bed of my f250 gasser. The truck has a 25 gallon tank which leads to refueling stops about every 3 1/2 hours on long trips. Not interested in gravity feed in the filler tube even if its doable. i know the diesel tanks can be gravity fed. To also be able to use it to fill riding mower and atv at home i was thinking about a 40 to 45 gallon tank, 12 volt pump with hose and nozzle. Ive searched amazon and google and there are alot of options. Looking for real world experience from anyone using one. As always thank you for any ideas.
20 REPLIES 20

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Side tanks are showing for me. I didn't change anything.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
sgfrye,

Thanks!

Landscaper tank works great for us, well worth putting together.

Guess the mods didn't appreciate the pix of the side tanks I had considered :h

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer,

i like your setup

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
memilanuk,

I used a low pressure aftermarket fuel pump for automobiles.

Found HERE for under $65

This type of fuel pump is rated for use with a carburetor which only requires about 6 PSI-7 PSI and is self regulating on pressure and is designed to "bypass" when no fuel is being drawn (does not need external regulator or fuel return line to tank).

Pumps about 1.2 gallon per minute.

Combined that with a 15 gallon landscaper tank..

FIND HERE for $185 (I was lucky to find a NOS different brand name tank in a local store for $100!)

Added a fuel filter between the tank and pump, some fuel rated hose between tank, filter and pump and a weather proof outdoor electrical box with a switch, made a long cord with a cig lighter plug and plug it into the vehicle when transferring..

Mounted the tank to a couple of 2x6s for stability so tank can't roll over, the wood also doubles as a "skid" so I can use my tractor front loader to move the tank if needed.

The only minor complaint I have about my landscaper tank is the fuel cap sometimes weeps a bit when the tank is full.

Not having to lug, lift and hold EPA "chug and glug" 5 gallon cans=PRICELESS!

Did also consider adapting plastic "marine" tanks, plenty of those available and somewhere I recall there was some vendor that had some molded side tanks which fit around the wheel wells..

Yep, found the 15 gallon side tank..

Pricey at $431 and you would still need to add a fuel pump..

Found it HERE

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
I use a 15 gallon "landscapers" tank with a electric fuel pump for a car.. Takes about 10 minutes to transfer 15 gallons.

Interesting... We'd considered a couple of 5 gallon cans, but I didn't enjoy the idea of juggling those things.

Is the transfer pump you use a commercial/pre-fab solution, or something that you put together?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
memilanuk wrote:
The reason I asked was that like someone already mentioned, there are no DOT certified *auto* transfer aftermarket auxiliary tanks for *gasoline*. Diesel, yes. Gas, not so much. Kind of a bummer.

The reason you can't find a in bed gas tank with fully automatic fill into your vehicle tank is due to the fact that gasoline vaporizes easier than diesel and there IS a mandated "EVAP" system in place to account for the gas vapors.

In a nutshell, one would have to MOVE the "EVAP" vent UP to the tank in the bed.. This is messing with your EMISSIONS CERTIFICATIONS and no aftermarket manufacturer is going to be willing to ante up for the costs involved in proving their system will not cause the OEM EVAP system to fail.

There has been a couple of replacement tank manufacturers that do offer a larger capacity tank that replaces the smaller tank, expensive, yes, but takes care of potential voiding of the emissions systems of your vehicle.

There are plenty of alternative MANUAL solutions if the price tag of a replacement tank leaves you cold..

I use a 15 gallon "landscapers" tank with a electric fuel pump for a car.. Takes about 10 minutes to transfer 15 gallons, we simply take a rest break anywhere we feel like stopping for food or rest or restroom break.

With 34 gallon main tank and about 14.4 gallon in the landscaper tank we now have about 480 mile range for gas.. Allows us to be very picky about when and where we stop for gas.

Before that, have had a few interesting fuel stops trying to get in or out of the stations because we were getting low on fuel.. It was either that or short hop at 175-200 miles in a couple of places adding in an hr or so of delays in extra stops..

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
jerryjay11 wrote:

Manual refueler

Cool. The reason I asked was that like someone already mentioned, there are no DOT certified *auto* transfer aftermarket auxiliary tanks for *gasoline*. Diesel, yes. Gas, not so much. Kind of a bummer.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
Our motor home has twin tanks, one behind the axle and the other on the drivers side between the axle and motor with a transfer switch on dash. I know some of the F- series do have dual tanks as well with the same setup.. there is also available an oversize rear tank of about 29 gallons too

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Boyd welding in Ocala Fla.

Mark

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Transfer Flow in my first truck. It was a great tank! For my next truck I had a combo fuel tank and tool box custom built in Florida. I forgot the name, but they did a great job. I had this tank set up with a pump, but I also had it plumbed for gravity feed in case my pump went out. I like having a backup plan.

Mark

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
memilanuk wrote:
jerryjay11 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
You can get a DOT certified gas transfer tank.
Sure can. I was just checking them out last night in my Trailer Life mag, but at a $1300.00 price tag it wouldn't be practical for me and the shorter trips we take.

Automatic transfer ones? Or manual?

There were a few places where the 35 gallon tank on my F250 6.2L gasser made for some interesting decisions as far as fueling stops this summer.

Manual refueler

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
jerryjay11 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
You can get a DOT certified gas transfer tank.
Sure can. I was just checking them out last night in my Trailer Life mag, but at a $1300.00 price tag it wouldn't be practical for me and the shorter trips we take.

Automatic transfer ones? Or manual?

There were a few places where the 35 gallon tank on my F250 6.2L gasser made for some interesting decisions as far as fueling stops this summer.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful and do it right, gas is a different animal than diesel!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
RDS Aluminum has some good offerings. I have been happy with mine although it is gravity feed.