Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New 2020 Ford HD gasser engine coming
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New 2020 Ford HD gasser engine coming

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/18 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting point. I agree that it would seem strange to drop a relatively new motor from production. I wonder if details will emerge at the State Fair of TX as per the Ford norm...

Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see a actual big block gazzer in the higher GVWR F350 SRW and DRW trucks leaving the smaller 6.2 for F250 and maybe some of the 10k gvwr one ton SRW trucks.

More than one Ford truck owner bit into the 6.2 towing a 15k lb trailer then complained about performance and then swapping for the 6.7 diesel.
The seven three big block would fill the void between the 6.2 and 6.7 diesel.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford just developed a new version of the torqueshift transmission for the F-250 6.2 for 2017. I doubt they are going to throw all that development $$ away and dump the 6.2 along with it 3 years down the road unless there is a major market shift or some other unforeseeable event. That kind of poor development $$ spend will get you fired quick like.

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/18 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

Ford just developed a new version of the torqueshift transmission for the F-250 6.2 for 2017. I doubt they are going to throw all that development $$ away and dump the 6.2 along with it 3 years down the road unless there is a major market shift or some other unforeseeable event. That kind of poor development $$ spend will get you fired quick like.

They develop transmissions for general power and torque ratings, not specific engines. I doubt that the new transmission will be discarded just because a new engine came out, especially one that was in development when the transmission was released.

The biggest threat to the new transmission is electric drive trains. I drove a Model 3 dual motor a few days ago and learned what power really is. Keep in mind that Tesla is using the same motor package in their new class 8's so don't say that they are not sturdy enough for a pickup. They do plan to use 4 in the class 8's but that still leaves them plenty sturdy for a pickup.

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/18 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe they will have both engines available like RAM does. 6.2L for the XL and XLT (work truck) and the 7.3L for the Lariat etc. It's a money maker to upcharge for the bigger gas engine.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest threat to the new transmission is electric drive trains. I drove a Model 3 dual motor a few days ago and learned what power really is. Keep in mind that Tesla is using the same motor package in their new class 8's so don't say that they are not sturdy enough for a pickup. They do plan to use 4 in the class 8's but that still leaves them plenty sturdy for a pickup.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe but the massive battery pack would drastically cut into the payload and I don't see an electric getting 500 miles/tank like my diesel does. It's 'Pie in the Sky' as Joe Hill once said.
s

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe but the massive battery pack would drastically cut into the payload and I don't see an electric getting 500 miles/tank like my diesel does. It's 'Pie in the Sky' as Joe Hill once said.
s

I am not ready to go full electric yet, mostly until charge stations become more common and more powerful but they are coming. I would love a serious hybrid based on a two wheel drive truck with the front axle driven by an electric motor of 200hp or more and about 50 times the battery pack that Ram is using. It will be interesting to see what Ford comes out with in 2020.

You may not have read the reports but Tesla seems to be getting 600 miles per charge on the class 8 prototypes and they have a very useful payload. It can and will be done sooner or later. Probably sooner if Elon has his way. The battery packs probably won't weigh any more than a Cummins with transmission. A few numbers to chew on, in this country Tesla outsold BMW last month and the Model 3 brought in more revenue than any other car. Be careful not to get the deer in the headlights look when he starts making pickups.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/18 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may not have read the reports but Tesla seems to be getting 600 miles per charge on the class 8 prototypes and they have
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have read some reports, and what the press releases say and what actually comes off the production line are two completely different things. If anything comes off the production line. Color me skeptical of vaporware claims.

As far as I can tell these people are aiming for the sensible target of commercial trucks, plumbers and electricians ect. They can live with a reduced payload and don't need in many cases, great range. I flatly disbelieve that they can produce a HD truck with a 3000 pound payload and a 600 mile range.

You may not know this but there isn't a lot of room for theoretical improvement in chemical batteries. Certainly not a doubling or more of capacity. And producing a battery with 60 times the current capacity would mean a battery 50 times or so the weight and volume. And would take a dedicated gas turbine generator to charge at 3000 volts....heh. And don't try the theory can be wrong line, chemistry is a very well understood science. Especially this sort of inorganic chemistry. Look at noble prizes in Chemistry most of them have been going to biologists or biochemists. There isn't much new being discovered in basic chemistry these days.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/18 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

You may not know this but there isn't a lot of room for theoretical improvement in chemical batteries. Certainly not a doubling or more of capacity. And producing a battery with 60 times the current capacity would mean a battery 50 times or so the weight and volume. And would take a dedicated gas turbine generator to charge at 3000 volts....heh. And don't try the theory can be wrong line, chemistry is a very well understood science. Especially this sort of inorganic chemistry. Look at noble prizes in Chemistry most of them have been going to biologists or biochemists. There isn't much new being discovered in basic chemistry these days.

There are a whole lot of people spending a bunch of money trying to do what you say is impossible and seem to be having some pretty good success at it. I guess that they just aren't nearly as smart as you. And, Elon is building about 10,000 new charge stations per year charging at 480V and so far is using solar panels, not turbines to power them.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/18 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a whole lot of people spending a bunch of money trying to do what you say is impossible and seem to be having some pretty good success at it. I guess that they just aren't nearly as smart as you. And, Elon is building about 10,000 new charge stations per year charging at 480V and so far is using solar panels, not turbines to power them.
---------------------------------------------------------

No they are trying to push the technology that last 25 or 50%. Or develop other chemistries that don't use Lithium which has a lot of drawbacks. And if you track these 'wow a NEW wonder device!" press releases you'll find that many if not most never make it off the lab bench.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New 2020 Ford HD gasser engine coming
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS