cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS Sensors when RV is stored

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Soon it will be time to winterize up here in the Northeast and I store my 5th wheel outside in the elements. So I was wondering if I should remove my TPMS sensors from the valve stems and keep them in our home for the winter. I guess they have small batteries in them. Will this extend the battery life or should I not worry about removing them? I have the EEZ TPMS system.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
18 REPLIES 18

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider yourself corrected. ๐Ÿ™‚ A TST sensor transmits only when there is pressure, so if you remove the sensor the battery is no longer being used. From the TST manual: "The sensors conserve power by not transmitting data when there is zero pressure."

With the TST system the alarm is generated when the pressure drops below the selected pressure, not the absence of a signal. The absence of a signal from the sensor will only alarm the monitor after about an hour.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not sure exactly how different brand sensors work, but it seems to me that when a sensor is removed itโ€™s the same as it sensing a tire losing pressure thus generating an alarm. Thatโ€™s how mine work and I would think that itโ€™s going to continue to transmit an alarm signal as long as itโ€™s disconnected. I would think it would be prudent to remove the battery while not being used.
Please correct me if Iโ€™m wrong about this.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
I mark a small zip bag for each tire placement so no issues when going back on before we leave for the winter. Safer than leaving on a tire for the folks that like to steal. chevman

^^^^^^^^
I do this too.
Calbar
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^^^^That's what we do. I label mine starting from passenger side front and then in the order the system monitors. I've got six to do so it's a pain if I get them mixed up. OTOH I've had to replace a couple of the labels because they faded so badly they were hard to read. It takes all of about 30 seconds/tire to remove the sensors and put the valve caps on.

I change batteries when they quit working. In 5 years I've had to change 2 of them. I may have to break down and buy the repeater, but I haven't had a dropped signal in a long time, in fact not since I moved the monitor up on the dash. That's the only real issue with the TST system: the long lag time between losing a signal and being alerted to that affect. It can take up to an hour to alert. Too long IMO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
I mark a small zip bag for each tire placement so no issues when going back on before we leave for the winter. Safer than leaving on a tire for the folks that like to steal. chevman

Why not use the stickers that came with the sensors?

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
If I am not traveling, I remove them. Two reasons. ! like to check my pressures with a gauge before heading out so I know they are reading properly at the beginning of a trip, and with no pressure, they go into sleep mode and don't transmit, saving the batteries.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. I will be removing them when I winterize.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
I will be putting my FW in storage in November and I am planning to remove my TPMS sensors from the valve stems. My reason is just to feel safer about having the sensors in the Spring when it is time to start camping again. I have not experienced any issues with theft where I store my FW, but it never hurts to be cautious and it takes less than 30 minutes to remove them.
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
It certainly wont hurt to bring them in where's it's warm.
I keep waiting for the manufacturers of these systems to start using the same technology modern cars use and stop using batteries.

Scott, almost every car uses a lithium battery with an expected life of 7-8 years. I have a set of '06 wheels that has 1 or more sensors that have insufficient battery reserve to operate. My '07 wheels are getting new tires next spring, and I'm going to replace all the sensors.

I'm not aware of any car that's currently using "batteryless" technology.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hondavalk wrote:
ScottG wrote:

I keep waiting for the manufacturers of these systems to start using the same technology modern cars use and stop using batteries.

Kinda doubt we will ever see that on TT's and FW's. Manufactures still don't want to switch to disc brakes let alone computer controlled ABS.

"Indirect TPMS works with your carโ€™s Antilock Braking Systemโ€™s (ABS) wheel speed sensors. If a tireโ€™s pressure is low, it will roll at a different wheel speed than the other tires. This information is detected by your carโ€™s computer system, which triggers the dashboard indicator light."

I haven't heard of that system but I do know there are actual sensors inside the newer crop of vehicles that have no batteries. The system is seamless but you can tell if your car is equipped with them. With the new sensors, adjusting the air pressure will not show a change on the dash until the tire rolls a bit.
In the case of our FCA product, the car had to roll about 20 feet to register the pressure change. At that point it is very accurate though.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Kinda doubt we will ever see that on TT's and FW's. Manufactures still don't want to switch to disc brakes let alone computer controlled ABS.

"Indirect TPMS works with your carโ€™s Antilock Braking Systemโ€™s (ABS) wheel speed sensors. If a tireโ€™s pressure is low, it will roll at a different wheel speed than the other tires. This information is detected by your carโ€™s computer system, which triggers the dashboard indicator light."

WillT
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
My TST uses alkaline button type batteries. And they turn on when pressurized. And donโ€™t have a sleep mode that I am aware of. Any time I turn on the receiver the pressures pop up shortly afterward whether the trailer moves or not. I donโ€™t think the receiver can send a signal to wake up the sensors.

I take them off during the winter to conserve battery. Each sensor has a numbered sticker so I know where to replace them. Takes a couple minutes.

This is correct for our TST 507 sensors and is how I do it.
2001 F-350 4X4 V10 64,000 miles
2018 Nash 26N
2014 Nash 17K (Previous)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My TST uses alkaline button type batteries. And they turn on when pressurized. And donโ€™t have a sleep mode that I am aware of. Any time I turn on the receiver the pressures pop up shortly afterward whether the trailer moves or not. I donโ€™t think the receiver can send a signal to wake up the sensors.

I take them off during the winter to conserve battery. Each sensor has a numbered sticker so I know where to replace them. Takes a couple minutes.