cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genesis tire wear

Jmiyata
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a post on same subject I have had same issue but mine was inner tire wear on only three wheels, Thought it was a bent axle contacted Genesis in April they pushed me off to LCI axle manufacturer. Fast forward to September trailer finally got it back. Found out not a bent axle but axles where installed backwards causing brakes to drag causing heat which blew out inner axle seals, jacking up the breaks etc. Contacted Genesis again and they said oh installed backwards its a manufacturer issue we only install axles on trailers, in which I replied exactly. Since then they have cut contact by email, called and left several messages but nothing. Now stuck with a hefty repair bill and lots of questions. Buyer be ware if you own one have your axles checked to make sure they are not mounted backwards. Have to look at magnets on backing plates to make sure they are facing the right direction. Sorry for the long post but, I’m lucky my wheel did not seize going down the road. Hope this helps someone out there reading this.
5 REPLIES 5

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
nayther wrote:
new axles DO have self adjusting brakes. they adjust on FORWARD stopping, unlike old school drum brakes that only adjusted in reverse. Knowing that I can see where this is plausible.

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand this explanation. With the wheels basically spinning backward all the time, the only time the brakes would self-adjust was when you backed up, in reality rolled forward with respect to proper orientation. It would seem to me that the brakes would rarely self-adjust and wouldn't tighten up to cause drag. What am I mis-understanding?

I'm leaning towards the somebody spouting gibberish to CYA.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
new axles DO have self adjusting brakes. they adjust on FORWARD stopping, unlike old school drum brakes that only adjusted in reverse. Knowing that I can see where this is plausible.

Who made the frame? Most are LCI and I believe the axles come pre-mounted from the factory, sure see many on flat beds being transported that way.

Certainly should not be to the consumer's account.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Like most all mfgs they buy the frame assembly from Lippert. By frame assembly, that means everything welded to the frame including the axles. So, if the axles truely were installed wrong its a Lippert issue.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not understanding how a wheel basically running backwards on a reversed axle would drag, cause heat and damage. Our trailers do not have self adjusters so the brakes aren't going to tighten when the brakes are applied. Except for having primary and secondary brake shoes, I don't think our wheels care which way they turn.

When towing did you ever stop and check for heat on your wheel hubs? Were they blistering hot? They should be smoking. I'm not sure how inner seals blow out from heat. There is no place for the inner seal to go. Yes, grease can get past the inner seal but then the grease would wind up on the brake shoe and the pads wouldn't have any braking ability. I've seen grease get past an inner seal from pumping in too much grease.

I suspect you've been told some things that aren't entirely true. Something I'm missing here?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Y-Guy
Thanks for sharing your experience, sorry it's not been a good one. 😞

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon