cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible new fiver. Thoughts?

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Considering trading in the bunkhouse for a new fiver. The kids are getting older and prefer sleeping in the tent anyways. We really like the Jayco Eagle 317RLOK. Anybody have one? Reviews seem pretty good overall. We've seen a few in person and build quality seems to be better than a lot of what we have seen.

A local dealer has several left over '18s in stock on sale for a decent price that we may look at on the weekend. They've offered good money on our trade. Looking usually gets me into trouble ๐Ÿ˜‰

My biggest concern is the weight. Not looking to get into a "you should have bought a 3500" or "you'll be over payload" debate. More interested in peoples' experience with similar sized fivers.

Fiver is 10,600lbs empty with 2k pin weight. (yes, I know dry weights are meaningless) GVWR is just shy of 13k. We'll never load it to the GVWR. Using our current trailer loading I'd estimate we'd be 12k loaded with around 2500lbs on the pin. Tow vehicle is a '17 Ram 2500 Cummins crewcab. I'm not going to post the payload as it is not a limiting factor in my mind. More concerned with the axle rating. I know it will be close, if not slightly over the 2500's rating. The 2500 and 3500 use the same axle, however the 2500 is rated lower for some reason (springs?). I plan to add airbags it as I have a level lift on it so it will sit low in the rear regardless of the weight and I prefer the smoother ride. (yes, I know it doesn't change the ratings).

Anyone have similar setup that can share some insight?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley
12 REPLIES 12

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I wish the dealers around here would. No one seems interested in my business. Can't get them to call or email back to answer my questions before making the 2 hour drive each way to finalize a deal. Maybe I'm pi$$ing them off when I call them out on their bs. Half ton towable, no problem! Ya right. Ridiculous.

To answer other questions;

Everything in the fiver is accessible with the slides closed which is nice. It has the upgraded 12cu double door fridge and from what I remember one half gets blocked by the island but the other side is ok. Also has the king bed upgrade. It loses the bedside tables and a little walk around space but still roomy.

The awning is as large as it could be because of the slide out. I'm ok with it as the slide, which has a 2nd awning as well, will block out some of the rain. I suppose we could ad a piece of tarp from the awning to the top of the slide if rain was a problem.

We have a large bunkhouse now with 2 teenaged boys. They camped all this summer, and most of last, in the tent anyways and say they like it. In a pinch they could sleep on the sofa bed. I would have liked the booth dinette for an extra bed and storage but it seems every dealer orders them with free standing dinettes. This trailer is for our future plans when they don't want to come any more. We're jumping the gun a little (2-3 years) but I want to trade the current tt while it's still worth something.

One thing I'm unsure about is a washer/dryer combo. It comes prepped and is something we would like but I'm worried about the added weight as it sits right over the pin. Any idea how much they weigh? How do you winterize it?

For now, we wait for a dealer who wants our business to respond. I don't have the time to chase them. If it happens, great. If not, no loss. There will be sales again next year.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
No worries at all with that truck/trailer combo, imo - not even close.

I like the layout of that camper as long as the kids don't mind sleeping on the couch/floor or want to be in a tent. I also looks to be pretty couple-friendly for after they move out.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'll be amazed at how nicely a new 3/4 ton will handle a trailer of that size. 10 years ago my brother was towing a similar sized trailer with an old '99 Ram 2500. It rode terrible and made an awful lot of noise doing it but it always got the job done without hurting the truck any. The new 3/4 tons have way more towing ability ... the ratings haven't increased on the same scale. That said, I think it is foolish for so many dealers to order in 3/4 ton diesels. If it has a diesel engine it should be a minimum of a SRW 1 ton.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice floor plan, but I don't know why they don't extend the awning like mine, and this one, a little past the door so blowing rain doesn't soak you entering the door.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the larger frig, and go for it. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
You could even take your truck with camper fully loaded to a spring shop and they would adjust your spring package accordingly. Average cost if what I have read is correct $300.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your axle rating should be 6500. You probably have 3300 or so current axle weight (at least that where my axle weights are on my 2014 Ram 2500). I think you'll be fine with that 5er.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the kids may prefer to sleep in tents, but there are times when rain or sleet/snow may cause them to have to sleep inside the camper. As long as they will fit on the sofa and dinette, or there is room for a blowup mattress, you should be fine.

Ours is almost the same floorplan, but we have the midbunk room adjacent to the kitchen. We LOVE ours. We can access the refrigerator, get into the bunkroom, hit the bathroom and also flop down on our bed without opening any slides. We have done several overnites without opening any slides and it has worked well.

I would "guess" that you would be able to safely tow it, but that is what it would be....a guess.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
If your over your trucks GVWR, it wont be by much and your well within your tow rating. If you need a little help with squat then add some air bags. BTW, your 2500 is rated lower because the 3500 has an extra spring.
Since money doesn't seem to be an issue I say go for it. You'll enjoy camping that much more!

While I don't endorse towing over GVWR,it is your decision to do that. That said I do it currently towing a 12,360 GVWR 5er at just over that weight with a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD, 5 speed with Tow and Camper Package. We weigh 20,500# GCVW with a 2,600# pin. Due to the camper package I tow it without bags. This is just after the scaling.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If your over your trucks GVWR, it wont be by much and your well within your tow rating. If you need a little help with squat then add some air bags. BTW, your 2500 is rated lower because the 3500 has an extra spring.
Since money doesn't seem to be an issue I say go for it. You'll enjoy camping that much more!

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You will be right at the trucks load limit with an empty trailer. Loaded even lightly is likely going to push you over trucks GVWR. You may or may not care about that, but then again......

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will really like a rear lounge floor plan...just one thought:

Have them put all the slides in and see it you can access different areas and feature or are you cut off...make sure you can get to the frig, pantry, and things like that for a quick stop lunch while on the road without deploying the slides.....(if that is important to you). Does appear that the bathroom won't be a problem.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro