Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 F-150 Adding 7 Way Plug For Towing

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have a 2018 F-150 XL without the factory towing package. It does have a factory installed 4 pin towing connector. Would it be also factory wired for adding a 7 Way towing connector? If yes, where is the location and of harness or outlet. Was under the truck, dont really see any unused wiring harness or plug.

thanks,
Ken
11 REPLIES 11

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, I think maybe you talked to the service manger where I bought my ford. :B

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Great news!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Found a harness connection point above frame rail between 4 pin and line out from front of truck.
E-trailer confirmed from my photos sent that it was a candidate for T connector 7 way kit they sell ( # 118283). Thanks everyone for your help and input.

Ken.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
How is this not standard on all trucks? It is on Ram's what about GM/Chevy?
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, there you go... I know they changed a lot starting with 2015 F150's and I still don't want one... 😉

I'll hang on to my 13 F150 as long as I can! Just like I did with my old 97 F150... 🙂

But, whatever truck I get in the future, it's gonna have the 'max tow' package from the get go, no matter what.. 🙂

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

KenS999
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Ford Dealer said no 7 pin wiring or plug. Funny thing.... 12V Trailer Power fuse slot in (engine compartment)has a fuse in it? Old Wizard 1, if that wiring diagram is viewable online can you please post a link.

Thanks,
Ken

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Checking a wiring diagram, I will disagree with everyone. You likely do NOT have the additional wires for a 7 Pin connector. Somewhere in the past 5-10 years Ford got very "fancy" with their trailer tow options. There is now one or possible TWO additional electronic module required for anything over the basic 4 pin connector.

I don't think that simply adding a couple of fuses/relays and a different pigtail is going to work.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have not heard specifically about the 2018 F-150s, but agree with others there should be 7-pin wiring near the frame and spare tire. Trace the current 4-pin harness from bumper to the first connector and you should find it it equipped. An EOM or custom wiring from there to a new plug should work.

I do not see any listings for an aftermarket harness @ Etrailer, but it is work a phone call to them.

I also recommend a heavy duty transmission cooler and proportional brake controller.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drop the spare tire and you should see where the harness connects.. At least that's where it was on my 97 F150 and my 13 F150..

I didn't have to change mine, since it came with the tow package that has the 7 pin, but even in 97, all you had to do was get the harness and add a few fuses and a relay or two to make it all work..

The integrated brake controller is nice too... Since you don't have the 7 pin, doubt you have the IBC, but it's a nice feature for sure!

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

blt2ski
With some GM rigs, it's been the color coded wires taped up around the center to left/drivers side of bumper. You may may not need to install a fuse vs blank in one of fuse panels etc. The other ends may be loose tied taped up in engine compartment under dash.
Worst case, you have to run 2 wires from front, or splice into other wires at back to make things work.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Ford guy but most manufactures have the pigtail wired in at the back of the truck. You can order the seven connector from Ford or get an after market one and just plug it in. To confirm this crawl under the back of the truck and look behind the center of the bumper. You are looking for a pigtail with a plug covering the end. It may be covered with tape to protect it.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.