cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lights flickering, ac having a hard time cutting on.

melissajean0
Explorer
Explorer
All of our lights are flickering when I try and turn them on. And most of the time they're barely even coming on. When I flick the living room AC on it comes on fine. However, when I cut a light on (whether it's in the living room, bathroom, outside light, etc.), the ac cuts off. In your opinion what is this most likely to be caused by? I need to know where to start. Additionally, we are plugged into a box outside and have been for months. Everything else, such as plugged in items and our bedroom ac seem to be working fine.
Husband: Jeremy; 1 Springer Spaniel; 1 Toy Schnauzer
F350 SD 4x4
Ford Edge
2008 Forest River Sandpiper
AL, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MS, MO, NM, TN, TX, UT, WY, OK, KS
London, UK, Ipswich, UK.

12 REPLIES 12

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, if you get 5 years out of a battery, you're doing good. Hopefully that's all it was...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

melissajean0
Explorer
Explorer
A1RVTraveler wrote:
melissajean0 wrote:
My husband got home and figured out it was the battery. The battery was pretty old at 6 years I guess. Shrugs, idk.

If the problem comes back in two days, take a look at the converter.

Ok, will. Do thank you. 🙂
F350 SD 4x4
Ford Edge
London, UK, Ipswich, UK.

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
melissajean0 wrote:
My husband got home and figured out it was the battery. The battery was pretty old at 6 years I guess. Shrugs, idk.

If the problem comes back in two days, take a look at the converter.

melissajean0
Explorer
Explorer
F350 SD 4x4
Ford Edge
London, UK, Ipswich, UK.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
More likely it is the hot but basic electricity aside, it acts just like the converter is shot.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wra
Explorer
Explorer
When you check your breaker connection, don't forget to check the common connection (at the outside plug and breaker box). When checking the 12 volt side, be sure to clean the negative connections (at the battery and converter). Since all lights are affected, the negative side is more likely the culprit.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the lights are likely 12V and if your converter isn't working properly you'll run down the battery and the lights won't be very bright, and if the battery gets low enough you'll have no lights. The thermostat is also most likely 12V which would explain why your AC quits when you use the lights.

As was recommended check the voltage at your battery. My guess is that your converter isn't putting out enough voltage to charge your battery well enough. Your battery could be toast by now, and if you don't act quickly it will definitely be toast. Depending on your setup you could get by with a new converter but you'll have to check to see what you have.

I discovered all this first hand just a couple days ago. Post back when you have checked your voltage at the battery.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would check all connections on your power distribution panel. Get an experienced electrical
person to help you.

I will give you phone support if you call me.
I am an experienced troubleshooter.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
check the battery voltage. When plugged in it should be at least 13.2 volts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Check your 12V systems voltage, especially when the lights act up.

melissajean0
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Because your issue is with the lights my first guess was a bad/shorted switch. However, if it's ALL your lights, I'm assuming they are controlled by other switches. Please verify that. The next guess is going to be a bad/loose wire in the breaker panel. I would NOT turn on the AC until you find the problem. AC units don't like low voltage when they first come on. No sense in adding to your problem. Start by checking your light switch for a bad wire/switch. Is it warm after you've had the lights on for a bit? Ditto for the breaker. Are all your lights on the same breaker in the box? Finally, even though you've been hooked up to the pedestal for months, are you sure you're getting 120V from the pedestal. Verify that also....let us know how savvy you are electricly. We don't want anyone getting fried trying to 'fix' a short....Dennis

Yes, the lights are all controlled by their own switches. Living room switch for living room, bathroom for bathroom, etc. The AC is kicking on by itself. I can't get the lights on to see if anything is warm regarding them. But I've had to reset the breaker before with the ac (ran ac & hair dryer at the same time w/out thinking) and nothing else was ever warm besides that 1 ac breaker. I don't know anything about electricity. My husbands knows a little, but not much.
F350 SD 4x4
Ford Edge
London, UK, Ipswich, UK.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because your issue is with the lights my first guess was a bad/shorted switch. However, if it's ALL your lights, I'm assuming they are controlled by other switches. Please verify that. The next guess is going to be a bad/loose wire in the breaker panel. I would NOT turn on the AC until you find the problem. AC units don't like low voltage when they first come on. No sense in adding to your problem. Start by checking your light switch for a bad wire/switch. Is it warm after you've had the lights on for a bit? Ditto for the breaker. Are all your lights on the same breaker in the box? Finally, even though you've been hooked up to the pedestal for months, are you sure you're getting 120V from the pedestal. Verify that also....let us know how savvy you are electricly. We don't want anyone getting fried trying to 'fix' a short....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG