Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Diego Camping.....

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

We will be spending two nights in San Diego to enjoy the area. Pop Up camper. Trying to find a camping site under $60. Seen some campsites on the outskirts but such mixes reviews. Guys on here seem to have a good gage.

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated.
24 REPLIES 24

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Kind of depends on what you're looking for in San Diego. Expect to drive 30 - 45 minutes to get anywhere (more traffic lights than traffic) and you'll be much happier in where you choose to camp. Weekends can be tough, but if Sun-Thurs night you can go most anywhere. Here's some suggestions all under $60

County parks County parks
Sweetwater
Dos Picos
Guajome

Or Lake Jennings Link

State beaches Link
Silver Strand SB
San Elijo SB
South Carlsbad SB

Santee lakes Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
Great info on Silver Strand. Thank you all. This is a tough one. The beautyof travel, compromisations.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sgeorge wrote:
I will not stay at Silver Strand and its only a few miles away from home. Sites are so close you can't use your awning. Good access to the beach though.
We got burned by that as we reserved a second site for the car. Nope not allowed.

But there aren't many CGs where you can see the ocean let alone camping right next to it. So a A+ for location.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I will not stay at Silver Strand and its only a few miles away from home. Sites are so close you can't use your awning. Good access to the beach though.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the beach, hence popular, expensive, etc. Ocean may have limited visibility from the sites during the winter due to berms.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Jandy2015 wrote:
Has anyone heard of Silver Strand camping? Thoughts?

we stay there a lot. it's popular year-round. sites are very tight.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a large parking lot like this

You can see all the sites HERE
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone heard of Silver Strand camping? Thoughts?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Jandy2015 wrote:
No kids, just looking to enjoy two wonderful days in the San diego area. Will look up driving times for Santee Lakex thanks again.

Why not just get a nice hotel right on the San Diego Bay?

Jandy2015
Explorer
Explorer
No kids, just looking to enjoy two wonderful days in the San diego area. Will look up driving times for Santee Lakex thanks again.

Ringer
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Santee Lake in early 16. Loved the place.
2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
2008 Saturn Vue

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I know Campland on the Bay is out of your range but it has one BIG advantage, it is in town so to speak. Don't know if you have kids with you(most likely not from info in post) and don't know where you want to go. You won't get to see much in two days and so drive times could be important.

Grandkids have graduated from there(16 YO grandson just got back from a wilderness backpacking trip to Denali) so we haven't been there for a few years.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we like San Diego County Parks camping. our favorites are Guajome and Sweetwater. both are inland but not that far from the beaches.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I live in San Diego and I would stay at Santee Lakes. Easy access to downtown if you travel off rush hour times. Nice sites and a peaceful urban setting. Lake Jennings would be my next choice. I can actually see the park from my house, have stayed there when relatives where in town. More rural than Santee, but close to freeway and shopping.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.