cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Print a list of directories from file manager?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
I want to print a list of some of the directories on my c:\.
For example I would like to print a list of all the directories under 'Documents', and all the directories under 'photos'. These lists extend well below the bottom of the screen (requires scrolling down)

What is the best way to do this?
Will the windows snipping tool do this?
Or other method?

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Well what do you know. I finally got it done. Tried the copy from hd to fire fox, then save to pdf, then print to printer and it worked great. Easy to read, and all the pertinent info included.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I know there were many replies, and many of those were very detailed. I appreciate the time taken to help me out with this issue.

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:

Are you saying you can't enlarge the window (by dragging its corner) when you leave full screen mode ???

No, I was mistaken. In the upper right of the screen there is the minimize - sign, then what looks like two pages of paper (Restore down), and the X close.

I was in file explorer attempting to shrink the current window some so I could work between it and the FF window. While in file explorer I clicked that middle icon and it starts some sort of file manipulation or something. Which opens a small window and runs rapidly till its done. When in file manager when put the cursor over that icon it says Restore Down.

When in a browser window it says Restore Down when you mouse over it, but when you click it, it reduces the current window size some. This is the behavior I'm used to and I assumed it would be the same in file explorer. My mistake.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:

But this is not when viewing it through firefox. I haven't even got that far.

I opened the file manager and it seems to be stable in full screen mode, but when trying to make the window smaller and clicking on the icon (between the X on the right and the - on the left) it exhibits that behavior. Hovering over that icon says "Restore Down". What is that supposed to do?

Are you saying you can't enlarge the window (by dragging its corner) when you leave full screen mode ???
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
You have an issue with Firefox itself. Viewing your local directory will not cause the behavior you've described. Have you tried using Chrome?

But this is not when viewing it through firefox. I haven't even got that far.

I opened the file manager and it seems to be stable in full screen mode, but when trying to make the window smaller and clicking on the icon (between the X on the right and the - on the left) it exhibits that behavior. Hovering over that icon says "Restore Down". What is that supposed to do?

You have an issue with Firefox itself. Viewing your local directory will not cause the behavior you've described. Have you tried using Chrome?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
At this point I'm more concerned with the issue mentioned in my last post above.

What would cause this?

ccchuck wrote:
a quick and dirty solution, "pull" the directory you want to print into firefox. A screen listing all files therein will appear.

Agree, this is the most straightforward and easy method. You can use Chrome or Firefox browser.

• Open 'Computer' in Explorer, or use the keyboard command Windows Key + E.

• Drag your C: drive icon, or whatever drive you want into the address window (URL) in Chrome or Firefox. Click ENTER key if needed.

You can now navigate to any directory you want within Chrome/Firefox with a click, and print that directory or directories. (CTRL+P)

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on a Mac, but had a Windows box I could remote into ... here's an example of what I described...

This is just displaying the contents

Click For Full-Size Image.

This is piping the contents to file dirlist.txt

and then open the file in editor of your choice - here's an example using Notepad

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
just my opinion, but you're trying to set a finish nail with a sledge hammer, a 12" extension, 2 universal joints while looking through a remote camera ... ๐Ÿ˜„

Let me help you ease into this and get past your fears
Click on Windows Start
Type in command which will open up a black and white DOS command window
Type dir just to see what it does for you ... see? Easy, safe and effective
Type dir|more and it will show you one page at a time. Hit the space bar to advance to the next page

Then if you know the path to the Documents folder (you can read that from the Windows File Explorer), you can type
dir C:\ correct path here \ documents
and it will display the contents

You're now becoming a command window expert! See? Easy! ๐Ÿ˜„

Here's a basic tutorial on DOS commands

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/13195

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Well it seems I have another problem going on.

I went to try the firefox/directory thing and when I open file manager full screen it seems fine. When I go to minimize it, it freaks out and goes to a window about 2" wide by 3" tall and the few directories you can seen in that little window start flashing rapidly. Very rapidly.

From there it will not maximize and the only thing you can do is click on it a few times it eventually shows a big red X in the upper right corner. And that is the only option, click the big red X and it closes file manager.

Have rebooted a number of times but no joy. Same situation each time trying to use file manager.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
With the DOS command window, there's nothing risky to worry about... ok, check that... there's ALWAYS something to worry about! But, if you stick to the DIR command ... THEN there's nothing to worry about! (You can type HELP to see all the DOS commands, or HELP DIR to see more specifics about that).

All you're doing is invoking the old DOS (which still lives under windows since WAY back when and earlier, before Windows) command to execute a Directory Listing (DIR), throwing a few switches or arguments at it to make it display different things, and then directing the output to a text file.

Then, open the text file with any editor of your choice - Word, Excel, WordPad, Notepad, vi, emacs, edlin, EVE/TPU ๐Ÿ˜„ and do whatever you want to do with the content... sort, edit, print, load it into a database ... anything!

And, you can do it over and over and over until you get what you want ... just note that repeated runs may give you replicate information in your text file, so rename it or delete it before the next test run.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
ccchuck wrote:
a quick and dirty solution, "pull" the directory you want to print into firefox. A screen listing all files therein will appear.

How is this done?

open firefox, reduce window size, open a window that contains the directory (folder) you want - using your mouse left click pull folder into firefox.
RVing since '74..

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too would use the DOS method in the first reply. It looks hard but once you have used it a time or 3 it's really very easy. Was easier in the old days.

I'd do the DIR > Files.txt method then print Files.txt from Wordpad
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
I've been playing with the windows snipping tool and I can't figure out how to get it to scroll down the screen. Just playing with it trying to capture a webpage and the page is several pages long on the screen.
When you are trying to capture a webpage, the browser's zoom feature can allow you to capture more content. I use Chrome that has that feature but I think most browsers do. There are limitations as zooming out makes everything smaller which may not meet one's needs.

I have always felt the need for a photo editor and currently use Corel's Paintshop Pro. One of my uses for it is to capture multiple parts of a display, be it a webpage, file directory or anything that uses more than one screen and connect it all together again with the photo editor. Fairly easy to do and it's one way to do it.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -