cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FireFox Issue

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
So FF updated and I have no bookmarks, the tool bar defaulted to Most Visited. Reading the FF help it says open all bookmarks and import backup. Problem is only todays date shows as backup. Anyone else run into this? Ideas on how to fix it?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold
8 REPLIES 8

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
So, when you click "show all bookmarks" and then click "backup and restore" and then hover the cursor over "restore", there's nothing in the list? That's odd.

When I hover over it shows the date of the last update & select a file below it.

MrWizard what did you have to do to get them back a month later? I have Ver 62.0 64 bit. If I do go to an earlier Ver. will in import the bookmarks? From where?

When was the last time you rebooted your computer? Try that first.

I'm on V62.0, too. However, I only recently allowed it to upgrade me to Quantum based FF. I stayed on 56.0.2 for a while longer. No problems (so far) with Quantum FF, although it doesn't really do anything better than Chrome or Opera, since Mozilla turned it into a clone of those 2 browsers.
But, I digress.
I'm going to suggest you do the following, but you do so at your own risk. This shouldn't cause you any grief, it's just some cleanup and housekeeping and an uninstall/reinstall of Firefox, but accidents happen.

You'll need to be able to go to the Mozilla Firefox Download website before you begin this process to download a copy of the Firefox Installer exec file to use later. Go to the following website and download a copy of the "Firefox Installer.exe" file. Save to your desktop or some place you can find it later on.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

1) In your current Firefox browser, get to the "Options" menu and then to "Privacy and Security".
2) Under the "History" heading, click the "Clear History" button and then the "Clear Now" button.
3) Under the "Cookies and Site Data" heading click the "Clear Data" button, then make sure both boxes are checked in the pop up window and click "Clear" and then click the "Clear Now" confirmation button.
4) Exit all applications including Firefox, and then get the the "Control Panel" function and then to your list of installed programs usually under "Programs and Features".
5) Scroll down through the list and find Firefox. Highlight it and click the uninstall button - wait until the uninstall is finished.

6) Reboot your computer.

7) When the reboot is finished, find the copy of Firefox Installer.exe you downloaded earlier, and right click it and "Run as Administrator" and install it. If you don't have a "Run as Administrator" option, just double click it, and it will install Firefox.

๐Ÿ˜Ž When the Firefox install completes, reboot your computer again.

9) After the second reboot, open Firefox and see if the bookmarks are back.

10) If it works let us know. Sometimes installs in place can have problems that may be hidden, like overwritten corrupted files and so on. Hopefully cleaning up the Firefox cookies and so on and doing a clean uninstall/reinstall might help.

Again, this shouldn't cause any problems, but accidents happen, and there are no guarantees. I have no idea of your expertise level, so I tried to make this process as detailed as possible. A cookbook approach?

- If this doesn't work, you could always try a "System Restore". Roll yourself back to a system image created before the last Firefox update. Might work.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
So, when you click "show all bookmarks" and then click "backup and restore" and then hover the cursor over "restore", there's nothing in the list? That's odd.

When I hover over it shows the date of the last update & select a file below it.

MrWizard what did you have to do to get them back a month later? I have Ver 62.0 64 bit. If I do go to an earlier Ver. will in import the bookmarks? From where?

jannywatson
Explorer
Explorer
That it happens on localhost is a bit weird. which makes me think it might be beyond the scope of the app itself, but who knows. Sometimes the network tab can give a hint about what happens.

MrWizard
i suggest you try re-installing an older version of FF

i just recently (last week ?) got my book marks back after a new update
they were gone for about a month
because FF would not load the backups that were there
the list would show, but FF would not import
then this 60.x version came out
and it reloaded everything

Mozilla has had some 'gimmpy' code between versions
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
In order to "import" backups, you MUST have a VALID BACKUP.

FF does not automatically make a backup, YOU must do that every once and a while..

So once and a while you simply go to HISTORY, SHOW ALL HISTORY, and select BACKUP AN IMPORT YOUR BOOKMARKS.

Otherwise, failure on your part to make a backup and suffer the consequences.

Now, you can sort of recreate some of your bookmarks by sifting through the HISTORY of your surfing..

Gonna be a long time consuming process..

Alternately, if you have bookmarks set in your IE, you can use that as a starting point to import into FF.

Now, what lesson did we "learn" today?

Backup, backup, BACKUP.

Hint, backup your OS also, a good backup of it WILL save your bacon some day..

FF helps show it does automatic backup but that obviously didn't work just like the latest update. Might be time to use Chrome or Opera.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If you're a Firefox "sync" user, you could turn on "sync", sign in, and get your bookmarks that way by recovering them via the "Firefox Account" page under "Options".
If not, you might want to back off the version update. Click "Help" up top and then select "About". Note what version you've updated to, and visit the FF website and download and install an older version. Might be able to get some of the missing stuff back that way. Then turn on sync and let it sync (backup) your stuff.
Your bookmarks are probably still out there on your hard drive somewhere. FF is pretty bad at cleaning up old stuff, which might be good for you.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
In order to "import" backups, you MUST have a VALID BACKUP.

FF does not automatically make a backup, YOU must do that every once and a while..

So once and a while you simply go to HISTORY, SHOW ALL HISTORY, and select BACKUP AN IMPORT YOUR BOOKMARKS.

Otherwise, failure on your part to make a backup and suffer the consequences.

Now, you can sort of recreate some of your bookmarks by sifting through the HISTORY of your surfing..

Gonna be a long time consuming process..

Alternately, if you have bookmarks set in your IE, you can use that as a starting point to import into FF.

Now, what lesson did we "learn" today?

Backup, backup, BACKUP.

Hint, backup your OS also, a good backup of it WILL save your bacon some day..