cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reverse Camera

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Put in an aftermarket head unit (OGM1) and back up camera in a 2012 Sierra around 2013/14, and the back up system has worked fine since then.

A couple months ago, the monitor started showing intermittent anomalies such as horizontal coloured lines, interference-like stuff and darkens more than usual at night, when the vehicle was backing up. It has progressively got worse to the point where it is sometimes difficult to make out what it is supposed to be showing on the screen. Other times it works OK, but not perfect.

In other modes, radio etc and GPS map, the screen is fine and is as good as when installed.

My question is:

Is there a relatively easy way to diagnose the system to see whether the issue is in the camera, the connecting wiring or somewhere else in the system? Although I installed the entire system, myself (with good installation instructions), I know pretty well nothing about electrical systems, so wouldn't even know where to start.

As I don't want to take a chance and buy/install a new camera and harness, just to find out it is not the camera, I'm wondering how to diagnose the problem.

Looking for any advice,

Marv
4 REPLIES 4

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on looking at the connections.

Last trip my very good aftermarket backup camera suddenly failed. I started looking for another one, taking my time. Luckily I happened to notice that one video connection was disconnected under the dinette seat.

I suspect engine spark plug system would be the largest interference. Can you compare the static with engine off compared to engine running? Wireless ones have interference; coax cable ones generally do not.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, sort of hoping I could do some other examinations before checking the connections. As I overkill everything, each connection is triple or quadruple wrapped with electricians tape and heat shrink tubes!! Oh, well if it has to be done....

Marv

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would check all the connections first. Invest in a can of electronic contact cleaner (from your local hobby or electronic store). Take all connections apart and spray the cleaner on them and then put back together. There might be some dirt, moisture or oxidation on one of the contacts. Heat , humidity may make the problem intermittent.
If that doesnโ€™t help, then look at the camera.
Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Since the monitor is working normally in other modes the camera or the hardwired connection are the more likely issues. Of course the easiest way to determine this would be using another camera to see if the issue with the monitor persist. Beyond that disconnecting the existing connection and creating a second connection might expose this as a connection problem.