cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crossing into Canada

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing into Canada through Port Huron, Bluewater bridge. Are there specific lanes for the RV, or do we follow the big trucks? Going to NY state in early Oct. from Mi.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide
15 REPLIES 15

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bob Sue wrote:
DavidandDayle wrote:

Now you get to decide: will the fast lane be one with 10 cars in it or 5 RVs?

With the luck I have , I'm sure I can pick the slow lane.

You know it's going to be a slow lane when four ICE officers converge on the van at the booth with guns drawn... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not necessarily, I was just getting to the point where the road spreads out into lanes when pretty much exactly that happened in front of me. As cars scrambled for other lanes I moved forward. In about 60 seconds they had the 2 occupants of the vehicle out of the car and an officer jumped in it and drove it into the secondary parking area.

I think it took me all of about 3 or 4 minutes to clear the border.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have NEXUS, RV's can also use the NEXUS lanes.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Sue wrote:
DavidandDayle wrote:

You know it's going to be a slow lane when four ICE officers converge on the van at the booth with guns drawn... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
DavidandDayle wrote:
Usually 3 lanes across the bridge. There are overhead signs for trucks and cars/rvs and something else. Follow the cars. IIRC, cars are on right into states, on left into Canada. Usually all lanes for RVs, but there are big signs over the booths visible from where the lanes start to separate.

Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Usually 3 lanes across the bridge. There are overhead signs for trucks and cars/rvs and something else. Follow the cars. IIRC, cars are on right into states, on left into Canada. Usually all lanes for RVs, but there are big signs over the booths visible from where the lanes start to separate.

David and Dayle

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Crossed over last year in the truck lanes and got a chewing out.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia many times in both directions and just followed the car traffic. A couple of times during peak traffic we were directed to a single booth along with other RV's. Queenston/Lewiston at the NY end is pretty much the same situation.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't take our Mh over, just the toad at Port Huron. They had the coaches all the way to the right and seemed be looking in every one.
It is real tight and we don't think we will enter at Port Huron with our MH.
Near International Falls we had to bring our then Fifth Wheel over on the RxR tracks in 05. We touched one of the yellow polls. It rubbed out though. I was out guiding my wife the whole time. It was tight.That was coming back into US. Train came along right after we cleared or rather engine and a couple of cars.

Not on edit I said left originally. I meant right.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:
Agree. Car lanes.
The booth clearance on the Canada side is pretty narrow. Move slowly.
Man, if you want to see narrow, try the Nexus lane going into the US at the Pacific highway crossing in Surrey!! Only a few inches before hitting a 4" steel pylon. If you're not on top of the approach, you WILL hit it. It has quite a bend it... ๐Ÿ™‚

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Agree. Car lanes.
The booth clearance on the Canada side is pretty narrow. Move slowly.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Just stay in the car lanes. We crossed there in June with our 42 ft. 5th wheel and truck.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch the signage or check online. There are some crossings that require RVs to use the same lane(s) as commercial trucks but should be obvious as you approach the booths/crossing. It could be different in each direction too at the same crossing.

'Course, you might find a border guard flapping his arms at you if you're in the wrong lane...

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Regular traffic lane, you're not a truck.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er