cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disc Breaks

rmoparman
Explorer
Explorer
I was kicking around installing disc breaks on my Fox. Have a heavy 35Z Arctic Fox. The price is step but everyone that has them love them.

3K for install is step, but safety is everthing.

Please give me some pros and cons.

Thanks Ron
22 REPLIES 22

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I had one panic stop that I may have hit someone before my Disc upgrade...no hyperbole.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Disc brakes are an expensive upgrade, but once you use them you realize how inadequate your drum brakes are.
In a critical situation disc brakes can easily be the difference.
Those that think their drums are OK have never tried disc brake!s

Yep! My grandfather thought his โ€˜32 Chevrolet was the โ€œcatโ€™s meowโ€....til he got his โ€˜51 Chevy truck! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Disc brakes are an expensive upgrade, but once you use them you realize how inadequate your drum brakes are.
In a critical situation disc brakes can easily be the difference.
Those that think their drums are OK have never tried disc brake!s
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
There are many reasons to go with hydraulic disc. This is a reason that the aircraft industry went to discs, many years ago. All motorsports( except boats...they just have hydraulic) use hydraulic disc brakes....even motorcycles. Reduced fade due to brake heat ( especially helpful in mountain towing), improved braking, better braking when wet, easier to maintain, more reliable.
Only someone that has never used them or stuck in some sort of โ€œtime warpโ€....would argue against hydraulic disc brakes!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
What happened? Did your drums brake? :B
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think disc brakes would be a wonderful addition to my triple axle toyhauler, but since I'm not made of money I have to weigh the cost of them versus more money for traveling. So far traveling is winning. At least $3000 if I did the work myself, and that buys a lot of travel miles and park stays.

If I traveled a lot in and through the mountains of Colorado and such I might feel differently, but so far my drum brakes are doing their job.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'll appreciate the disc brakes. I have no idea whether or not you'll miss the $3000. If my trailer hadn't had disc brakes on it when I bought it, I'm not sure at what point I'd be willing to spend 3k on it to have them installed. I think I'd spend money on hydraulic leveling and having the exterior painted first.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Put them on our 27-5L a year ago, never regretted the improvement on braking and the cost.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
I'm getting mine installed next week - and my trailer is only 3 months old!

I've not seen anybody say that they are disappointed with disc brakes and wished they had not converted...most with, say they won't have another trailer without them.

They are expensive....your call OP.

Mike

I totally agree. If you are going to put in a lot of miles disc brakes are the way to go. Once you have disc you will never be without them.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

I had disc BRAKES installed on my last fiver and they were hands down better then drum brakes... I now have them on my Redwood and would not be without them...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Our current 16k triple slide high profile fiver with discs stops WAY better than our last 12k single slide fiver with 12" drums. And yes I had the drum brakes adjusted properly and I don't miss that PITA job either. Go for the discs; you will be pleasantly surprised how good they are! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
After coming home from Colorado two years in a row with "magnet" brakes in pieces...spent the $ and had the disc brakes installed. Never looked back, best $ spent and trailer stops and brakes don't come home from Colorado in pieces!!
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You may need to take a "break" from all the issues with disc "brakes!"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just get it done. It only seems expensive because you had to buy drums initially. Would be so much better to have OEM install from the get go.