cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mattress fabric

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mattress fabric was very flimsy, almost like a cheesecloth. After not much use it crumbled and fell apart on diagonal stitching on the corner where I get on and off. About 2 sq.ft of damage. Put some Duct tape and glue, flipped it over, but same thing will happen on this side too.

Other than doing nothing, what would the cheapest way to fix it?
Found this Mattress Cover on Amazon. $30 is not my idea of cheep when it's not clear how durable it is. It says "waterproof" - don't need this, though according to users it's not. Their Queen is 60"x80", a bit larger than my RV Queen, might just keep using a fitted bedsheet instead.
6" mattress.
11 REPLIES 11

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Check on Amazon. You can buy about any size of mattress you want. We replaced our air mattress with a Dynasty foam mattress for less than $300. I had a major back surgery and hoped this would offer more comfort. It is absolutely wonderful. Best thing is that DH can toss and turn and I'm not even bounced around.

Not hot in the summer, nor cold in the winter. I did put a mattress cover on it. There are mattress manufacturers that will make a mattress to your specs.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to an upholstery distributor, they will have different foam products, including memory foam, and may glue one up for you but it is a fairly easy DIY task. If you have to pay an upholsterer to make the mattress cover, the $200 Amazon deal mentioned above may be more cost effective. I bought some "close out" cover material at the distributor for $5/yd. The BIL, an upholsterer, made all new covers for all my foam cushions and mattresses.

An alternative would be to use a conventional mattress cover. We have some in the S&B that even have a pleated top, almost indestructible.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cutting is not a problem.
One annoying thing is the height of this type of bed. With my old 6" mattress it's already higher than a normal bed, because of underbed storage. Can't lay/sit down normally, have to climb/jump, using my hands. One of those design flaws, many trailers are like that. Usually mattresses in stores are 8"-10" without any topper, make it 9"-11" with a thin topper. Will have to jump higher yet :)...

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The memory foam now comes with cool gel layers that keep you from getting hot. The older ones didn't have that. I don't think I'd go 8", but we have a 4" topper on our queen short mattress. You can cut the toppers to length so it won't be too long. Maybe could do with a mattress too. Have heard an electric kitchen knife does a great job.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dusty - thanks, a bit too far from me.

Not sure about 8" memory foam, need to think. Don't want to make it too hot in summer. Might add a thin one inch foam topper later - memory or latex, to spring mattress.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a 60x80x7 queen that came in our '15 Itasca, we replaced it in '17. You can have it if you come and get it.

Dusty

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I, and a few others here, replaced my mattress with a memory foam version. I got a Zinus brand 8" thick RV/short queen (that's what its called) for $200 shipped from Amazon. FAR better than the factory supplied mattress.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
You guys are right, the cheapest mattress with real springs will be better than this piece of foam. I was hesitant to do this because "normal" mattress is few inches longer than my RV mattress and there won't be much room to walk around - see photo below. With my short mattress there is ~14" between bed and that divider behind the sofa. Well, at least will have a normal length now.

Divider steals 2" and serves no purpose, might even remove this lower part (not the "wall").

It's unbelievable they used that fabric at all. Like a disposable/degradable towel, a child would tear it with bare hands.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many thrift stores have brand new mattresses (old stock from stores) that are much more reasonably priced. From what I've seen they would be better than what you have if you can't afford a lot.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Why would you continue to sleep on such a cheap chinzy mattress. You spend roughly a quarter of your life on it, so why not go buy a quality sleep surface?

Exactly! Throw out that $20 mattress and go to a mattress store and buy yourself something worth while!

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you continue to sleep on such a cheap chinzy mattress. You spend roughly a quarter of your life on it, so why not go buy a quality sleep surface?