cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Olympic Peninsula and Park

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to the Olympic Peninsula end of the month. Planning on staying at Kalaloch and/or Mora CG's. Have been researching the trip a bunch, and am aware of closures (and fewer sites) at both sites after 9/22. Trying to decide on how long at each one, if we visit both, or if not, which one would be best for a week or so stay. Our trailer is 34' actual length, and I also realize that there are only a few sites that could take us easily. Any local knowledge from the "wet" side would be appreciated!!

Part of the indecision on where to stay is that we are looking at which site (if we stay at only one) would be best for touring the coast part of the peninsula. After that we will be going up to the Port Angeles & Hood Canal areas on our return to home here on the dry side. Also considering Klahoya NF CG as an in-between stop if we pick Kalaloch as a base site for the coast. After that the return trip is up in the air presently!!!

We generally boondock so elec & water is not a necessity, and we have solar and 2K genny (quiet one!!). Kalaloch has a dump station, and it will be open in early October, not sure of the one at Mora.

Thanks in advance for any info and even recommended sites from those in the know!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
12 REPLIES 12

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
We are from Ohio and have been on Oly Penn since July. I have no idea where the responder stayed at Salt Creek, we were there all of July and Aug. It did not rain one day. Beautiful park on the straight, local deer herd meandering through park friendly and helpful staff. Immaculately clean rest rooms.

Could be they want to keep it to themselves. Reservations are difficult to get, E/W hookups only. Tent and no hookup area is wet and foliage covered. Magnificent seashore it is a preserve and no shells or other collection is permitted.

Salt Creek is a county park with a WWII shore battery Army Fort bunkers available. I would say don't miss it if you can get in. Best chance is Monday am sit like a vulture looking at first come first serve when one pulls out pounch, place a chair or cooler as a marker and then pull to site.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are wonderful posts with photos of that area's parks, including Kalaloch:

https://wheelingit.us/category/rv-park-ratings/wa/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the local info, Roy&Lynne!! Kinda fits right in with my planning ideas.

As to the CG at La Push: Roomy, tight, hookups, etc?? Also is the town nice, any good seafood spots or taverns!!??

Tanks agin'

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nice private campground at La Push that is right on the water. We use to go and watch the whales. The beach is mostly rocky and loggy though.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
WHAT!!! :E Rain and Wet!!?? OMG!! :S

Plan is if we do get a spot at Kalaloch, we would be there for 4-6 nights. 'Spose the weather could control that!!! As to the Hoh side trip, the road is closed till Oct 4th or 5th which should work out to go up that way. Will be going to visit Mora and La Push, and maybe out to the Cape and Neah Bay. Will see!!!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I love Kalaloch. Lots of beach to explore. Mora I wasn't as thrilled with. If I were you, I'd spend a couple of days at Kalaloch and I wouldn't bypass the HOH even if it were raining. It has three loops, one I don't know about, one is under a canopy of trees and the third in the open along a river. Great hikes. Just bring a rain coat.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lake Quinalt and Lake Ozette.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I stayed at Kalaloch (ONP) in early October and it was beautiful but very busy. Get there early if you can.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
It was gray and rainy when we where there in July. LOL Can't imagine later in the summer. By the way stayed at Salt Creek near Port Angeles.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, it will be grey, wet and mossy!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get ready for some serious rain by the end of September. When it is not raining the brush will be wet.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
At 34 feet only some CGs in Olympic NP will let you enter. See https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad