cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External Hard Drive for Dish 211z

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
Installed a External Hard Drive for Dish 211z. When I watch recorded programming the audio skips every few seconds. Tried a new hard drive, same problem. Dish tech thinks it's a problem with the receiver although he says the receiver is up to date. Concerned a new receiver won't solve the problem.
Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

MrWizard
nice to hear you got things figured out and working
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Figures huh. Been thinking about the Wally but heard too many bad stories about the software? Maybe they've got it sorted out now. I like the features. If my 211 quits on me I'll def go Wally.

I've heard they have the bugs out. We'll see. The screen looks just like the house Hopper.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Figures huh. Been thinking about the Wally but heard too many bad stories about the software? Maybe they've got it sorted out now. I like the features. If my 211 quits on me I'll def go Wally.

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
tko9900 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/goflex-fam/seagate-dvr-expander/en-us/docs...

Model #SRD0SD3

Thanks!

No problem.

Got the Walley today. The 211z was the problem. Recordings off the Walley are A-OK.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Yes. There's two different types of cords you get. At least with mine I did. The 211z only has a USB port not an eSATA port. I plugged the USB cord into the back of the 211z and the other end, which looks like a phone charging end into the back of the Seagate. Then in order to power up the Seagate you need to plug the power cords pin jack into the Seagate and then plug the power adapter into a wall plug.

Doesn't sound like what I have. I don't see a pin jack on my Seagate. Do you have a part number for the Seagate.
I have ordered a Wally receiver, but if that doesn't work out I will look into different EHD's.

This is what I have. Came with a single cable, USB plug to EHD receptacle.
Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA1000400)

Tried this, but than EHD would not format to Dish .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX2RM8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. There's two different types of cords you get. At least with mine I did. The 211z only has a USB port not an eSATA port. I plugged the USB cord into the back of the 211z and the other end, which looks like a phone charging end into the back of the Seagate. Then in order to power up the Seagate you need to plug the power cords pin jack into the Seagate and then plug the power adapter into a wall plug.

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I just installed a Seagate this weekend. I don't have any skipping with my 211z.
The HD I bought came with a 120v power supply and two cords. One USB and the other a eSATA. I used the USB cord.
What I don't like is if I unplug the Hd for a day or so and then plug it back in the Dish has to restart, which means it has to recycle through the sat search again. Other than that it's really nice to be able to pause live tv, fast forward or rewind.
I only have a short amount of time using it this weekend so I'm not totally familiar with it.

The USB is plugged directly into the back of the 211z?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a Seagate this weekend. I don't have any skipping with my 211z.
The HD I bought came with a 120v power supply and two cords. One USB and the other a eSATA. I used the USB cord.
What I don't like is if I unplug the Hd for a day or so and then plug it back in the Dish has to restart, which means it has to recycle through the sat search again. Other than that it's really nice to be able to pause live tv, fast forward or rewind.
I only have a short amount of time using it this weekend so I'm not totally familiar with it.

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
Dish tech told me to get a Seagate 1 TB. I am hooked up by USB to the receiver with the cable that came in the package. What kind of a hookup would a external power supply look like?

MrWizard
what external HD did you use ?

the USB port might not support the power needed for a USB only drive that gets power from the port, this will reduce read and write speed

you might need a faster drive that uses less power

or you can try a drive that uses an external power supply
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s