cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sumo Springs Cost

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to install Sumos on my Allegro, anyone know approximately the cost to install, front and rear? Already have an estimate to purchase them at e-Trailer for just over $1k.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA
10 REPLIES 10

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you got them installed. Before we bought ours I was lucky enough to drive one with and without Sumos and it was night and day difference.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Great! and for $1,000 including install, that's great. Enjoy.
Wildmanbaker

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got the Sumos installed yesterday. Wife went on-line searching and found Best Deal Springs has a new location in Salt Lake City. A really good find. Good service and very reasonable cost. Mostly fire trucks and school buses in their bays.
The Allegro now seems to sit maybe an inch higher, less lean and wobble on the dips and turns. No longer feels totally like a boat in water. Expect cross winds to be less stressful, but later on that.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
the trippers wrote:
Thanks to both responses.
I think the $800 was for purchasing the Timbrens only? installation would be additional.
Wish I would have purchased the MH with them, especially for $1100. I paid almost that much just for the Sumos at e-Trailer, does not include installation.
So far have checked two local RV service places (near Salt Lake City)for install ability and cost, one was $600, another for $500. I don't think either one has ever installed these or Timbrens on a Motor Home before, not rocket science, just a lot of grunting under an RV. So I'm still looking.

May end up installing myself, with some help I hope.
Thanks again.

If you do them yourself be sure to double nut the front Sumos or lock tight or lock nuts. I had one that came loose and folded over which made the motorhome sag on that side.
You wonโ€™t believe what a difference they make. You will love them. Good luck

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine on a 2016 F53 22,000# chassis and you are correct. Just a lot of grunt work. Fronts are a no-brainier.

As you can guess the rear wheel removal is the hardest part but I knew what I was getting into. That and the fact that my storage barn has 1 1/2 crushed rock so I keep some plywood down to work on. Plus the fact I'm a short, portly, old guy with bad hips.

I spent about four hours the first day getting the wheels off, getting jacks set and doing one side complete. Second side was faster as I knew what I was doing. Probably sent less than three hours and that included cleaning the wheels, hubs, studs and remounting the wheels.

Wheel removal was done with a 33mm socket, 3/4" Harbor Freight flex bar, 12" (16"?) extension with about 40" of 1" pipe for a cheater bar. I have an old scissor jack that I use to support the extension to keep it square to the nuts. Had a little trouble getting one side off the hub due to rust. Cleaned them up on assembly and put a touch of Never-Seize on the hub.

Support the rear of the coach on some stands and let the axle hang free. You will need to raise the axle up to get the install right. Drill the frame with good high-speed bit and cutting oil. I was concerned about the drilling of the frame but it was easier than I thought. I put some backer behind a few holes so when I went through I wouldn't hit lines and wire.

E-Trailer had some good videos on the install and IIRC Sumo did too.

I did see a post once about someone saying they were able to get an angle drill in between the wheels and frame to drill it. I never could find it again when I went to do mine. I suppose it would work if you had a short bit and a method to put pressure on the drill.

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both responses.
I think the $800 was for purchasing the Timbrens only? installation would be additional.
Wish I would have purchased the MH with them, especially for $1100. I paid almost that much just for the Sumos at e-Trailer, does not include installation.
So far have checked two local RV service places (near Salt Lake City)for install ability and cost, one was $600, another for $500. I don't think either one has ever installed these or Timbrens on a Motor Home before, not rocket science, just a lot of grunting under an RV. So I'm still looking.

May end up installing myself, with some help I hope.
Thanks again.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Allegro and Sumo Springs was an option, so I ordered it with them. I think Sumos was a $1100.00 option. Money very well spent. Are you sure your 2018 doesnโ€™t already have them? I thought I heard that Tiffin started putting Sumos on all their gas Allegros now. Maybe I am wrong.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Only checked one source, but they were $800. for front and rear. If you do a search for "Timbren for 2018 ford F53" you should get many sources.
Good luck.
Wildmanbaker

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, ok, how much for Timbrens then?
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, price Timbrens as they do the same thing.
Wildmanbaker