cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extra Propane tank hauling in hitch basket

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Can I legally and safely carry my extra propane tank strapped down in my hitch mounted basket? I use the extra tank to supplement my main tank with the tank adapter, BBQing away from the MH and portable propane fire pit.
8 REPLIES 8

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Scrap that idea, thanks!
Read canโ€™t store in outside bay because of lack of ventilation, is that true? I see it done all the time. Could cut vent holes I guess, but itโ€™s a heated compartment.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Regulations prohibit carrying propane tanks (I'm not sure about cylinders) on a vehicle where they are basically beyond the frame structure--behind the bumper, under the lower frame member, on the roof, or on the front of the vehicle. NFPA regulations prohibit mounting cylinders on RVs on the exterior rear wall or rear bumper, though it's arguable that that probably only applies to manufacturers.

At any rate, it really doesn't seem like a wise idea to me to carry tanks on a hitch mounted cargo carrier, legal or not. I would find some other, more protected way to carry them.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Bungee cords or rubber bands or tarp straps are fine for securing tarps but not fine for securing stuff like propane bottles. If LE saw that, you'd get a ticket for an improperly secured load.

Do it right, chain it down or use nylon ratchet straps.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I know of no law that states that you can't, but...

Several years ago, we were heading down I-10 toward Mobile, AL pulling our TT behind us and a truck pulls up beside of us and motions us to stop. They go on and another vehicle comes up and does the same. We figured we had a problem and DH pulls over and goes to the rear. Our propane tank had come loose when the bungee cord holding it broke and it was dangling behind the camper, bouncing on the road. It was behind held onto the rack by a piece of hose that was entangled in the top of the tank. DH cut the hose loose and slung the tank as far as he could away from the road. It never did explode or anything, but it scared us and I'm sure everyone behind us.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Just don't get rear ended.

Thought about that!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Please don't put it on the back.

bgum