Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
When leveling a 5th/w or T T from side to side with tandem axle

do both tires have to be at the same level, or can one tire be up more.
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
15 REPLIES 15

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Place a 2" board under both tires and raise the trailer 2" overall

Place a 2" board under just one tire and raise the trailer 1" overall...due to shifting via center equalizer on axles

Try it...measure the difference between just one and both

X2.

Years back many camp sites we used were not leveled which may require one side tires dug down and the other side tires ramped up. Many times it was impossible to have the ramp the same level for both tires on that side.

And sometimes the tires on one axle had to be dug down and the other axle tires ramped up...
Just make sure the tire is supported across the entire tread width.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
Walkdog wrote:
I've read that auto levelers are a waste and actually you have to do most of the leveling for the most yourself. Now most new 5th wheels are coming out with those auto levelers...โ€ฆโ€ฆ.

You have heard wrong, The auto levelers will take one side completely off the ground if need be to get coach level .. all that is done with the press of one button

What he ^^^^^ said! The only "leveling" I do is to put some boards under the front landing legs to spread the load. I do the same under the rear jacks, but mostly because they have limited travel and I want to be sure they've got enough room. Snagged a couple scraps from a 12" glue-lam that I use and that does the trick. Doesn't mean that I don't carry a milk carton full of 2x6's with me... :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Walkdog wrote:
I've read that auto levelers are a waste and actually you have to do most of the leveling for the most yourself. Now most new 5th wheels are coming out with those auto levelers...โ€ฆโ€ฆ.

You have heard wrong, The auto levelers will take one side completely off the ground if need be to get coach level .. all that is done with the press of one button
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
To answer some questions about the Disc Brakes I love them they work great, even the wife thinks there great.
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.

Old-Biscuit wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
To Quote Old Biscuit "Place a 2" board under both tires and raise the trailer 2" overall

Place a 2" board under just one tire and raise the trailer 1" overall...due to shifting via center equalizer on axles

Try it...measure the difference between just one and both "

This is what I used to do...

***** OFF TOPIC . . How are you liking those disc brakes??

:H

Don't have disc brakes

I was quoting you to tell him I did the same as you.. then followed it up with a question for the OP..

...... Was asking Gray Fox how he liked the addition of disc brakes... he has had them about a year now...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tandem axle trailer and when it's parked at home I have one tire on one side (tire toward the front of the trailer) raised to level the trailer. So far (five years) there have been no issues I've observed (suspension issues, uneven tire wear, pulling to one side while towing, etc.) and I doubt this would cause any damage given the trailer is stationary and not subjected to any real shock or excessive loads when parked.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I often use different thicknesses under F/R axle. Never more than just one extra board, and I carry 1.5" thick boards, so if I need another 3/4" to be level, 1 board under 1 axle does exactly that.

I also carry a couple of 3/4" thick boards, so I could level within 3/8" using 1 of those. Never felt the need, and those boards just go along for the ride. But it doesn't cost any extra fare to carry them.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
To Quote Old Biscuit "Place a 2" board under both tires and raise the trailer 2" overall

:H

Don't have disc brakes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Place a 2" board under both tires and raise the trailer 2" overall

Try it...measure the difference between just one and both
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m with MLF and Dick.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how unlevel the rig is I will either raise both tires or just one. For long term, of course, raising them both is best.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have torsion axles, so I have to lift both tires the same to get any kind of result. If I only put a board or two under a single tire, it does nothing to level the rig..

I just put the same number of boards under each tire to level side to side as needed.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.