cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newmar quality

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Our search for out next RV has expanded to the smaller Class A gas models.....30-31'

We have seen Winnebago, Jayco and Forest River models because there are dealers nearby. I have read numerous forums, etc about these brands and think I have a good handle on their quality.

But, I just found a small dealer nearby that carries Newmar Bay Sta and Canyon Star. I know almost nothing about this brand. I have read that they are upper level quality, in line with Tiffin. Would you say they are above Winnebago? I would appreciate any input, experience, ownership thoughts. Thanks
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos
48 REPLIES 48

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
huntdooly wrote:
Mile High wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Newmars are built by Amish craftsmen.. Our 38' Newmar stays comfortably cool/warm with only the dash A/C or dash heater running while traveling throughout the USA. Very well insulated. All the cabinets are as top quality as in any home. Very quiet and smooth ride. The 3 slides are electric and all have locking devises when closed. The 2 heat pumps keep it very warm/cool in all weather conditions with its 7' ceilings. Very seldom have to run furnace. All bays open from side to side and are heated. The large bay carries the 22.5 spare and has enough room for 3-4 more.
Hopefully different Amish Craftsman than the ones in Elkhart Indiana as claimed by every trailer manufacturer ๐Ÿ™‚

I was thinking the same!! LOL!!

They are workers/farmers that are in a big hurry to leave at about 2:00 pm to go work on their farms. The list of issues I've had with my Newmar fills pages. As I speak, it's in the shop again. Luckily I have an extended service plan so only $100 out of pocket. Other coaches I've had were relatively trouble free in comparison .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

huntdooly
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Newmars are built by Amish craftsmen.. Our 38' Newmar stays comfortably cool/warm with only the dash A/C or dash heater running while traveling throughout the USA. Very well insulated. All the cabinets are as top quality as in any home. Very quiet and smooth ride. The 3 slides are electric and all have locking devises when closed. The 2 heat pumps keep it very warm/cool in all weather conditions with its 7' ceilings. Very seldom have to run furnace. All bays open from side to side and are heated. The large bay carries the 22.5 spare and has enough room for 3-4 more.
Hopefully different Amish Craftsman than the ones in Elkhart Indiana as claimed by every trailer manufacturer ๐Ÿ™‚

I was thinking the same!! LOL!!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Yes, Newmar is above Winnebago and all the others.

I agree that Newmar makes a nice coach, but when you say....above all the others....what exactly do you mean by that?

Above all ohers.

And all the while here, Prevost, Newell, Foretravel and numerous other coach owners, thought they really had a quality built machine! What a let down, eh?.... :E
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
I'll share that Newmar's Dutch Star and Mountain Aire of the 2002-2006 era were on our short list of RV's when we were shopping. This was in 200-2010 timeframe. They were, and are, well built coaches with good content, and for reasonable price points in that era's still post economic tumble markets.

Newmar, American Coach, Monaco, Country Coach, Travel Supreme, Wanderlodge, Alpine, Beaver, Foretravel (And probably some that I've forgotten.) - all had models that provided upper mid to higher end chassis and content and constructed coaches.

Today? I've been an Arm Chair watcher - as I'm no longer a buyer:)! But, IMO:

Newmar, Foretravel, Entegra, American Coach - remain at the upper side to higher end combo of chassis and content in new coaches.

(OK. So sure Newel, Prevost Based, and perhaps some other's not as prevalent (Or now gone.) National, Triple E, Fleetwood (Thinking Providence, Revolution.), Winnebago (Thinking Ultimate Freedom, and another whose name escapes me), Rexhall. Toss in some Tiffen's Allegro Bus and Zephyr's too... And agin, I'm sure other's that I have forgotten!!! All, had good quality coaches for the price point....

But what matter's. Especially in used coaches. Is:
-Coach layout? Do we like it, would we enjoy it
-Mechanical condition? Has it been maintained well
-Good bones? Did it have a better chassis/engine combo, as well as other components?
-Quality of materials used for the 'soft stuff' of RV'ing. Carpets, Cabinets, Furniture, Appliances, Counters, Non carpet flooring quality. Etc., etc.

So, ramblings complete for now. And I can assure you not a complete thought in the ramblings? Monaco, Beaver, Holiday Rambler, Alpha, Safari, and I'm sure others.. Newmar quality? Well, they're accompany that stands behind their products. (How many remember the 3 year Newmar warranties - to set themselves above the rest?). Good designs, good components, good customization for new buyer's too.

Newmar, IMO, remains as a unique provider of Gas Class A's, and from entry to top end level's of DP's. I wish them ongoing good fortunes:)!

Smitty

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Yes, Newmar is above Winnebago and all the others.

I agree that Newmar makes a nice coach, but when you say....above all the others....what exactly do you mean by that?

Above all ohers.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Doug156 wrote:
I had a Coachmen motorhome for 10 years. I traded "up" to a Newmar Bay Sport. What a mistake. In 4 years this Newmar has cost me three times the amount I put into the Coachmen in 10 years.

Generator "board" needed to be replaced at 14 months, windshield shade died at 2 years ... awning dry rotted at 13 months, levelers needed repair at 13 months, all exterior storage compartment doors de-laminating after three years, can't count the amount of times the shower door handle falls off, 4 times cabanet doors dislocated from the hinges, and I could write a book about the problems with the Ford engine computer.

We no longer look forward to going out as we wonder what will break next. And yes, I am going to trade this POS in on a Coachmen

Better be careful with that, as Coachman might not be the coach it used to be.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Coachmen motorhome for 10 years. I traded "up" to a Newmar Bay Sport. What a mistake. In 4 years this Newmar has cost me three times the amount I put into the Coachmen in 10 years.

Generator "board" needed to be replaced at 14 months, windshield shade died at 2 years ... awning dry rotted at 13 months, levelers needed repair at 13 months, all exterior storage compartment doors de-laminating after three years, can't count the amount of times the shower door handle falls off, 4 times cabanet doors dislocated from the hinges, and I could write a book about the problems with the Ford engine computer.

We no longer look forward to going out as we wonder what will break next. And yes, I am going to trade this POS in on a Coachmen
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
dmatt wrote:

Good to know! Question: Are you happy with the gas V10? Did you have to do any mods to it for handling, etc? Thanks

Nope, no mods. Handles fine. As long as you're not expecting it to drive like a Porsche. I have driven a number of trucks when I was a much younger person and I had a feeling what I was going to be dealing with, but it's very smooth and easier to drive than my Truck/Trailer combo was.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. We had a pop up and TT and noticed the lack of quality. Now looking at expensive class A, it's surprising to see the same lack of quality on many brands, with a higher price tag!!
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding V10 noise. We just purchased a used Tiffin. Engine noise was one of the many pleasant surprises. Yes, I wish it were quieter or non-existent, but it is not as bad as I'd heard in other manufacturers. I don't know if Tiffin does additional insulation or not, but the noise, IMO can be tolerated.

I've only owned travel trailers prior. Their quality is mostly unacceptable, but we buy them because they are the only option (aside from a few high end manufacturers). When shopping Class A's, we wanted a step up in quality, unfortunately, many of them felt like a trailer on a different platform. We never allowed ourselves to shop Tiffin/Newmar, due to our budget. However, once we opened our minds to it, we started to become satisfied in build quality. You'd like to think that at these prices, Tiffin/Newmar would be the starting point of quality instead, but that isn't the case.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I'm going to have to drive one and see. Probably will be quieter than my old V10 class C though.
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
I had two National class A's, a 35 ft. Tropical and a 39 ft. Tradewinds, both great coaches and if National was still in business I would have gone there again. In January I traded my Tradewinds for a 40 ft. ( actually 39' 11"Newmar Canyon Star. Both builders were and are quality. Only problem for me is getting used to the sound of the Ford Triton 10 after driving to 350 CAT for 15 years. Loved that diesel sound and performance and it did it so quietly!!
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Having been RVing since 1969 I have had a wide variety. I had a 2003 Mountain Aire and was very sad when I had to part with it after my DW passed away. We had it 11 years and had been all over the YS and Canada. I would say the ducted AC in a Newmar is the quietest I have ever heard. There was no need to increase TV volume with the AC on. I was stuck in the sun at 101 F one time and we had the most comfortable MH there. Now I use nt Roadtrek and am trying to sell the GMC
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Monkeyman_and_Lady wrote:
My research last year and conversations with Custom Mobile interiors in Ohio (I do work with them for my marketing bus) they told me that Newmar was the one to get. They were not wrong. This is from guys who tear apart new RVs to customize them, so I took their advice as solid.

So happy with the BayStar we have. the floorplan is amazing, it's living area is bigger than the one I had in my old Townhouse. Very happy with the quality, and I'm a tough customer. I'm an engineer by trade so I don't suffer excuses well.

Good to know! Question: Are you happy with the gas V10? Did you have to do any mods to it for handling, etc? Thanks
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos