Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer balance and leveling

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question,

My father in law bought a travel trailer a couple of weeks ago while visiting, he lives 300 miles away and over the Sierra's near Reno, I'm near Fresno, CA.

My truck is set up for my 14,000 lbs. Toy hauler, his new to him trailer weighs 5,600 but my hitch is waaaay too high. I have a lower hitch but not enough, I have towed his trailer for about 15 miles and hardly knew it was behind me.

My main concern is having his trailer riding nose high while I take it to him next weekend. I plan on filling the water tank for the trip to help prevent sway, but I don't think it will be enough.

How crucial is for the trailer to be level?
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky
9 REPLIES 9

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ain’t going to hurt the trailer unless it has torsion spring axles. Those need to be level or close or will carry load on 1 axle

I had never thought about this until recently when I read another post about how torsion axles need to be level. Logic tells us that the two axles are totally independent and thus if nose high, the back axle is more compressed, and possibly overloading both the torsion suspension inside the tube, AND the tires on that axle.

With leaf springs and an equalizer between the front and rear springs, you have to be way out of level to cause any real issues.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle has it correct.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ain’t going to hurt the trailer unless it has torsion spring axles. Those need to be level or close or will carry load on 1 axle

This is the biggest concern. If your trailer axles are unbalanced it can lead to sway.

At 5,600 lbs the trailer is within the limits of your truck and receiver to tow without a WD hitch. You could get a solid forged shank with the appropriate drop and tow the trailer in weight carrying mode.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with "I'd consider buying or borrowing one to make the trip." And bumper drop is only one reason for a WDH. I like driving the Sierras but I do it as safely as I can.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I wasn't planning on using a weight distribution hitch, not enough tongue weight, it only drops my rear bumper 2". The trailer is a 26' tandem axte. I will see if I can find a drop hitch, I need one for my Jeep trailer anyway.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is a tandem it’s not bad if it is spring and equalizer suspension as long as you don’t bottom the equalizer completely. Some weight starts to transfer off the trailer front axle to the low end axle and to the tow vehicle hitch if you are nose high. Use as low a drawbar as you can get your hands on. Tow without weight distribution you don’t need it with your truck and a 6000lbs trailer.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
A trailer can tow pretty squirrelly with the tongue high because of the tongue weight and uneven weight on the axles.

Unless the drop is crazy, I'd consider buying or borrowing one to make the trip.

Coming down a mountain would be a bad time to find out it was unstable.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Almost next to nothing in my experience.

I've towed trailers a mile high and in the weeds. I've even changed the hitch to see what it would do. I couldn't tell any difference.

What IS VERY important is tongue weight. If you have a truck that can tow that much just make sure there is a lot of tongue weight and you're good to go.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln