allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
my gray tank gauge stays on 1/4 full when empty need help
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Look on the bright side....it's 3/4 empty.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Just ignore it.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is not with scum on the sensors but with crud on the tank walls that is wet and fools the sensors. This proven by the fact that the same problems exist with external sensors that are on on the outside of the tanks. They usually work with more crud on the tank walls than the through the wall sensors but will still give inaccurate readings if the crud build up is bad enough.
Anything you can do to clean the tank walls may help especially if you are a weekend user and not a full timer or extensive user. As a full timer for 11 years I never found anything or any product that worked (I had external sensors). I ended up just marking the calendar and dumping every 10 days.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get one of those scrubbing bubble characters you see on TV and dump them in the tank. Let them out when they are done. ๐Ÿ™‚ Remember what you're putting in those tanks. As the scum dries on the sensors they can't give you an accurate reading. The gauges are put in as a "feel good" item when you're looking at purchasing a coach. No one makes a gauge that is accurate for very long, if at all....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
About the only thing you can do with a grey tank sensor is to dump the tank completely. Then add a few gallons of clear water, a bit of dishwashing liquid and maybe some bleach and take the camper for a drive. The goal is to let the water slosh and pound on the sensors (and sides, top, and bottom of the tank), and wash free, or break free any scum build up on the sensors. If this does not work, then your next avenue will involve taking something apart to clean or replace or modify existing devices.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Put some Dawn in the all your tanks drive around and you won't have a problem in the future. I always Dawn the tanks on the way home after dumping, no lingering odors or residue.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They're all wacky, I never even look at it.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some have a small set screw on the tank monitor inside that you can try to set the level. As the sensors age they stop working right. We have seen some that different work on the show room floor.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
There's a question we haven't heard before. Everyone has this problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman