cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging The Toad

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Not posting this in the toad forum because I gave up on those people.

There's an optional piece of equipment you can have installed in an airplane that is basically a wind turbine. If you lose electrical power, it drops out of a compartment into the slipstream and supplies emergency power enough to get you to an airport. I was wondering if anyone has seen or tried something like that to power a toad while underway.

As I was thinking about it, why not set up a wheel that ratchets down onto a tire that runs an alternator to power the toad? Any thoughts?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
18 REPLIES 18

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wiz,

Ford, GM and FCA all have wobble problems when towing a EPS (Electronic Power Steering) vehicle. EPS does not have adequate damping unlike hydraulic. Hence the fix to leave EPS on when towing.

And that power comes from the battery when towing. And I suspect the power consumption is significant when towing but that is why I asked if there were any actual power measurements.

The OP stated his battery would be dead at the end of a day unless the car was started during the day. Lots of loads including EPS are involved.

I agree that a DC-DC converter might be a solution. I'd want to know the loads and wiring before deciding on a solution.

There is some indication that the EPS/wobble problem is starting to be addressed in some 2019 vehicles.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
A potentially huge draw would be EPS which apparently the OP has since he mentioned wobble. Has anyone measured the amps used when towing especially with EPS running?.

Why would electric power steering be operating ?

EPS can draw a large current, but that would be is slow "parking" type maneuvers. The reason why manufacturers a switching to EPS over hydraulic power steering is that they do not take as much power from the engine.

A hydraulic PS pump is running all of the time at maximum volume just pumping the fluid around in a circle. It needs to operate this way so that it is always ready to assist you. EPS standby current is tiny and the battery is there to handle the short, high current demands.

Use a DC-DC battery charger between the tow vehicle and the towed vehilce.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any charging device that rubs a tire would not be my favorite. Connected to the drive shaft maybe.

Perhaps the simplest is a wind turbine mounted on the tow bar?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW There was a post indicating that GM stated in a phone call that the 2019 Equinox does not have a wobble problem when towed. No details were available.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It would be interesting to know what amp draw/wiring size is required for various newer cars/trucks that are towed. Considering navigation equipment etc that remains on, etc.

A potentially huge draw would be EPS which apparently the OP has since he mentioned wobble. Has anyone measured the amps used when towing especially with EPS running?

My Jeep has hydraulic steering with an electric motor running the pump. It appears to have 8 gauge wire to the motor which implies a lot of power is needed. I'd bet a donut the EPS also requires a lot of power. Just wondering how much is required for towing?

I'm beginning to suspect that the common 12 gauge charge lines just aren't enough for many newer cars.

In my experience aux brakes take very little power due to infrequent usage. But always on navigation, EPS, etc could have increased power usage.

Bob

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Have you verified that there is 12V present at your 7 pin connector? Mine originally did not. There was a wire connected to pin 4 but no voltage present. Traced the wire back and it went to an auxiliary fuse panel but was not connected. My Brake Buddy would kill the battery in about 6 hours. Connected the wire and installed a 20A fuse. No more problems.

I checked that right after the shop finished the install. I'll check it again. I would suspect the RVi brake, but it's been mostly highway driving.
Jerry & Jeanne

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
bicycle dyno https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Bicycle-Dynamo-Generator-12V/dp/B000OBWMGK

Thanx Red. That's what I remember. My guess is 6 watts isn't enough.
Jerry & Jeanne

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Just fix whatever is wrong with your charge line from the motor home. It's the simplest solution. On the big airplanes we call what you describe a RAT. It's a Ram Air Turbine that drives a hydraulic pump.

red31
Explorer
Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Why not charge it using the towing vehicle ?

DC-DC battery charging

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Have you verified that there is 12V present at your 7 pin connector? Mine originally did not. There was a wire connected to pin 4 but no voltage present. Traced the wire back and it went to an auxiliary fuse panel but was not connected. My Brake Buddy would kill the battery in about 6 hours. Connected the wire and installed a 20A fuse. No more problems.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll bite - just connect the alternator to the drive shaft.

And if you don't believe physics then for electric cars connect the alternator to the battery and drive motors and and always have charged batteries. :B

Jerry, Did I graduate to one of those toad forum people? :@

Bob

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I don't pull any fuses on the Equinox and I am running a charge line from the motor home battery. It must be too small a wire (I think they ran 12 ga) because after about 4 hours the toad battery is dead. If I remember to run it when we stop for fuel or lunch it's ok. I may start pulling the #32 fuse, but I understand that that will induce the death wobble in the Equinox. That's all in another thread so I don't want to sidetrack this one.

My charging problems aside, has anyone seen a wheel charger? I remember a generator on a bike that ran the headlight. Something along those lines.
Jerry & Jeanne

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Not understanding why a toad battery would run down if actually using it every few days. Vehicles are commonly left unused for weeks but start right up when needed. Seems like you may have a bad battery or faulty alternator system.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS