Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anyone had a 17ft TT Stolen?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Know anyone that had their TT stolen?
There is a 17ft Dutchmen Cub in excellent condition for sale in a small town in central Florida. Seller from New York. No title. Seller avoiding answering questions why no title.

Just thought I'd post it just in case it did belong to one of our fellow rv'ers and is stolen.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

18 REPLIES 18

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I think that I would walk away .

Walk? I'd run!!

It's easy to get a duplicate title if you are the legitimate owner. Unless the title is being held by the state due to a loan (that is the case in some states), there is no reason they can't provide you with one. And, if that's the case, they should be able to tell you and there are ways to pay the loan balance to the lending institution to make sure the title is released to the buyer. There is simply no reason someone should be selling a trailer like that without a title or an arrangement with the bank on how to sell.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
As said above , for that trailer to be sold n Florida it must have a title . The seller can get a duplicate for eight bucks . I think that I would walk away .

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
There is a 17ft Dutchmen Cub in excellent condition for sale in a small town in central Florida. Seller from New York. No title. Seller avoiding answering questions why no title.

Just thought I'd post it just in case it did belong to one of our fellow rv'ers and is stolen.
Is it on Craigslist? Why not post the link?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
This is scam and it is likely the trailer is stolen or this guy is trying to sell it out from under the bank or someone else.

There is no reason to sell any anything without a title, if you own it any state will issue a duplicate title.

Unless it is a piece of junk for scrap.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could also have a lien on it, which would stay with the trailer if sold and not paid off. Liens are usually marked on the title until paid off. If it really came from New York, a quick check on the vin number in New York would indicate if a lien was in effect. Your local Police have access to that info.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

How about a serial or license plate number? To be fair, people can and do lose their title. It's just a piece of paper and if the trailer doesn't show that is is stolen, a duplicate title can be reissued if the owner/buyer has proper ID and other substantiating documents.

A potential buyer should beware before plunking down their cash.

Chum lee

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would notify local police. They should be able to run the serial # to see if it has been reported stolen.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
How's he gonna sell it with no title?

Florida does not title trailers under 2000 pounds. That's pretty unlikely for a 19' travel trailer, I realize. Other states have varying laws about titling, particularly with relation to trailers (but also for motor vehicles)--many or all of the New England states don't generally title vehicles over about 16 or 18 years old, for instance.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Someone with a "permanent" campsite on private property does not need plates. They can use the bill of sale to transport it there and never buy plates. Where we had our TT before we bought the MH there were very few TTs with plates on them.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I should have specified โ€œ many shady peopleโ€ would do this. You can find โ€œwater damagedโ€or โ€œtree fell on itโ€ Damaged trailers for a couple hundred dollars with a title. As long as the license plate comes back valid as some sort of travel trailer, You are unlikely to get any police to notice
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
For the right price, many people would have no problem buying it with no title, and then buying a really crappy junk trailer that has a title and simply use that one for paperwork purposes.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
How's he gonna sell it with no title?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What are they asking for the TT? I need a new meth lab. ๐Ÿ™‚

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I would probably send a tip to the county sheriff, the local police, and maybe the FBI, especially if the vehicle is near a state line.