cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DTV on RV and Comcast at home

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
will DTV allow service to an RV if you don't have their service at home? I posed this question to customer service and they said yes, no problem, however, I don't believe what they tell me, so I am reaching out.
9 REPLIES 9

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
After having Comcast at home and Dish on our fiver for several years, I finally dumped Comcast for Dish at our S&B. Should have done it long ago. Now, both are under a single contract with better service at half the cost. I agree with jodeb720 above regarding Dish's technology. We particularly like their Dish Anywhere app where we can watch programming recorded on our home Hopper DVR when on the road. And now that Dish has their Dish Outdoor capability in play, it's easy to change our local channels over to wherever we find ourselves. Good stuff. And did I mention at half the cost of what I was paying before?
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I had DTV for years and used one of my receivers on the road receiving standard definition. It worked flawlessly.

I have just switched to dish for a variety of reasons, but will use my own receiver in a Pay As You Go no contract format.

It just works for me.

One more thing. Dish offers more technlogy than DTV does - and I was a DTV bigot for years. I can stream all that I have recorded on my home Recorder when I have internet service on my phone, computer or roku on my TV or my firestick.

Last DTV has said they are going to stop broadcasting in Standard Definition in April of 2019. In order to receive the signal you're going to need a different dish than the current standard 18".

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you keep DTV you will be miles ahead when trying to work with the RV. No need for a new or separate account, just take a receiver in the RV. Weigh your options and don't make a bad mistake just because some idiot on the phone made you mad. Comcast has those same idiots!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for your help. At home we originally had comcast but got so frustrated with their customer service, we went to DTV. Last week, my wife spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with DTV just to reschedule a service upgrade. So, we are going to try comcast again.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
derh20 wrote:
will DTV allow service to an RV if you don't have their service at home? I posed this question to customer service and they said yes, no problem, however, I don't believe what they tell me, so I am reaching out.

Yes. The problem might be how often you plan to use it. You can't turn it on for a weekend or a month here and there like the DISH PAYG plan. I have had DTV in my RV for 18 years and I don't own a home.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I have Direct TV in the motor home for 9 years and have had something else at home
I put the motor home on "vacation" when not using it - since I dropped direct tv at home I think I can put it on vacation twice a year
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
From a Direct TV customer since they started I recommend going the Dish route with their mobile rv setup or get really into it if you are a recording junkie like me and research using the Hopper 3 system from Dish.

It is a bit complicated so do your research on this.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:

Many fulltime RV'ers have DTV service installed in their RV's and no other location. Dish is more RV friendly though, especially for part-time RV'ers. Dish has a no contract pay-as-you-go month to month service that lets you stop and start the service easily. DTV has nothing similar...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you want to?
To get service you will need direct to instal at home. Then its a simple matter of setting up your MoHo the same as at home.
If you need a Direct dish tripod assy let me know, Ill give it to you.