cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? On gas fridge test

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dual fridge in my 2013 class a.. I just bought this and want to test both electric and gas function,, I have it parked in my pole barn ..
Can I test the propane while inside ? Leave the overhead doors open ??
And how long to run before I know itโ€™s ok both on gas and electric..
PO had it set on 3 because they said it got too cold otherwise
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
18 REPLIES 18

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it's working properly. :B

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Gas /electric provide roughly the SAME "heat" to the boiler for turning the ammonia into a vapor

Same cooling unit..so if electric cooled it down the propane will cool it down/maintain temps
PROVIDED the propane system functions....proper LP System pressure, burner/orifice clean, flue/flue baffle clean etc.

Got it cold...swap it to gas and check temps tomorrow

I let it go back to room temp because I was cleaning it..then turned on gas,,,about 1 hr the water in the freezer was pretty solid, just now I check the fridge it was 42...so I assume its ok ??
I let the setting at 3 and 5 is coldest

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gas /electric provide roughly the SAME "heat" to the boiler for turning the ammonia into a vapor

Same cooling unit..so if electric cooled it down the propane will cool it down/maintain temps
PROVIDED the propane system functions....proper LP System pressure, burner/orifice clean, flue/flue baffle clean etc.

Got it cold...swap it to gas and check temps tomorrow
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
So by a cool down test you mean turn it on with gas, leave the setting on 3 and check the temp on gas ? How long after starting gas should I wait to check temp ?
Thx

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
luberhill,

Turn the fridge off for 24 hours. Then run a cool down test with the propane.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok just checked with two good thermometers...Freezer is 6 degs fridge on bottom shelf is 32 degs...that's set on 5 the highest...ill turn back to 3 where they said they left it and check again...now this is on electric
Should it hold that temp on gas ?? If I turn to gas how long before I know its ok ?
Thx for the help

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Initial cooling process for an absorption fridge is 12Hrs Plus

Freezer has to get to 10*F before food compartment can effectively cool down

RV/Fridge needs to be reasonably level for proper operation and not cause damage

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
ok the thermometer battery was dead, lol...I put another cup of water in the freezer, it was frozen in half hour so I know that's cold,,,if the freezer is that cold shouldn't the fridge be ok ??
Ill put a better thermo in there and check in the am...should I leave it at setting 5 which is the highest ?
Then turn to gas and see ??
Again I believe the people that its fine but ...
Thx

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Absorption fridges take awhile to cool down. Let it be overnight and see what it's like in the morning (or afternoon).

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Norcold N611
Itโ€™s on electric now for 2 hrs, freezer has water frozen fridge is still only 53 degs ???
Shouldnโ€™t it be like 35 ??
I have it set on 5 which is the highest

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok its a Norcold, don't see a model but it has "auto" and "gas"...I have it on "auto" now in my pole barn and set at 5 which is the highest..the freezer is about 45 degs after an hour, I left it on ...
I will see what it is in the morning, I have a cup of water in there too..
Then I will set it on "gas" and check in a day...
The guy is a straight shooter and said everything works and I believe him,,,I tested the water heater, furnace, stove has never been used, he gave me an invertor, all the compartments have stuff, folding chairs, tables, bedding, extra brand new hoses, sewer hoses, jack, 2 25 ft 30amp cords, tons of dvds, flat screen tv with dvd in the bedroom...
its clean and I think for 40k it was fair...its a 2013 with one slide, Winnebago Sunstar 26he...he also left all the cleaning supplies, brushes, dishes, silverware, kitchen supplies, pots pans, small heater, iron, vacuum, coffee maker, lots of stuff...

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Iโ€™ll post brand and model asap

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brand & Model for fridge would be helpful

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Probably better if you parked it outside where it could get some air flow. But, lacking that doors open. Absorbition refers usually take 12 to 24 hours to really get to operating temp. Turn it on on enectric, place a plastic cup of water in the freezer with a thermometer in it and let it sit overnight. Same in the middle of the refer box. Check them the next day. Replace both and switch to gas. Again check them the next day. Compare the numbers. Adjust the temp setting as necessary. When new 3 on our refer was good. Last few years, if it was no electric it was set to 4 mid summer heat was fine.