Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Reservations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/18 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 Retired wrote:

know several who stayed in SC State Parks all fall and winter, into the spring, and never had to move.
Complete with their blue tarps, skirting, homemade stairs and collections of junk?

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/18 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a park that allows site specific reservations I make reservations well in advance to get a site I know we like. Otherwise I call a park a day before arrival (or maybe morning of) to make sure sites are available and make a reservation. I have no desire to pull into a park late in the day, find it full, and start trying to find a place to stay. We have stayed at parks that were full by mid afternoon. We don’t do parking lots.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's easier in some parts of the country to go no-res. North Dakota for instance. I'm at a COE park in Nebraska right now and there are over 100 sites open. The camp host has the day off. Pull in and pick a site.

This trip we had reservations (or were going to a first-come place) for the next stop and I was looking for the place after that. I need to be in the Kansas City area around Oct 1, so I have the next 2 weeks booked.

I would not recommend winging it in the northeast in Just and August. Too many campers, not enough parks.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/18 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a non-retired person, I nearly always use reservations, though they are not always made far in advance. I don't have the luxury of adjusting my schedule by a few days if needed.

Sometimes this has led to making what turned out to be unnecessary reservations, such as at Greenbelt Park near Washington, DC around Thanksgiving time when the occupancy rate was less than 5% and for most of my stay I could not see another camper from my reserved site.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We still are doing 40, so reservations are a must. I have noticed the past few yrs that sites are tough to come by on the more popular rvparks/campgrounds, so my booking starts around the first week in January. For this upcoming columbus day weekend to get a W/E site at assatleague state park I had to book 1 year in advance, just hrs after the online window opened.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/18 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always made reservations. Tight schedules didn't give us much alternative plus I felt it was one less thing to stress about. Last thing I wanted was to get somewhere and not have a place to sleep.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/18 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're on a strict schedule because of still at a job and only two weeks vacation, yes, make reservations.

However, if you're retired you have the great opportunity to travel off times. Don't go for weekend trips. Make your weekend begin on Monday.

There are many ways to do without reservations if you're not over pickey. If you need to be in a particular site or a particular loop then you'll have a difficult time. But if you can be flexible there are sites to be had - even in the popular national parks. Do you really need hookups? There are usually dry campgrounds that don't even accept reservations, including in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, etc. On the major holidays we never stayed anywhere where there's water - pools, lakes, rivers. That was our time to chill out in a nice quiet setting. We went to the 'water' places after the weekenders left - pulled in Monday early and got our site. Also, there are many city and county parks that are very pleasant. Try national forest sites. They are many times on beautiful lakes or rivers. We also boondocked a lot on public lands - national forest and BLM. There are options out there. Try them!

If we had to make reservations for 6,840 nights during our full-timing years we would have never RVd.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/18 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

If we had to make reservations for 6,840 nights during our full-timing years we would have never RVd.
If I had to stay in RV parks for most of those nights I would have quit by now.

nypatnva

Amelia Ct Hse Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When traveling, only use Walmart, home depot etc. we only camp after labor day and before Memorial day. Never not had a site. Summer is for the younger generations with kids.

2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a little more difficulty this year getting campsites than past years. It does seem to me that RV'ing is getting more popular, and campgrounds more crowded.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS