cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T Partners with Airstream to launch a "Smart RV"

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I get that not everyone likes to be "connected" while camping, but I think the combination of the smarthome-like features that Airstream has created along with AT&T's built-in network access is pretty cool.

AT&T and Airstream launch the Smart RV

Smart Control Video

I'm an AT&T employee and company policy requires me to identify myself as such.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)
11 REPLIES 11

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have "Smart Meters" and now we have "Smart Heat Pump" controls.
Can turn the air up and down across the Country. don't know why I would want to though.
Now our AT&T MIFI with five computers, sometimes won't connect one or two of them.
Guess the Heat Pumps are checking the internet for updates...and they do.
Waiting for the day when Enviro Politicians decide they should control them to save something or other.
New Bosch dishwasher doesn't use as much energy but doesn't dry the dishes either and takes longer and cost more than my first car. They had one with Smart tech too. Noooo! Doesn't matter seems they may be able to get into our dishwasher and freezer refrigerator anyway along with or through our electrical supply. Smart RV...when they get it to where it will drive itself and I can relax on the sofa and watch baseball maybe but Noooo!

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Call me old fashioned, but it just means a lot of new electronic gewgaws that will break or get hacked. It is only a matter of time before the cellular system in the rig is obsolete.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You really lost your Airstream? And without your smartphone and this new feature you wouldnโ€™t have found it?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
What if you don't have a smart phone?

You probably will never find your Airstream
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
What if you don't have a smart phone?

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
If this turn out half as good as the ATT buyout fiasco of Directv and the total destruction of Direct service, I cant wait! Airstream will go the way of the dodo bird.
And, Im NOT an ATT employee,

I'm not here to debate the company's services with you or anyone else but...

I had DirecTV for 10 years before AT&T acquired them. I've had zero issues with the service before and after the acquisition. If you have a specific problem I can help with that. PM me if you need to.

Sent you a PM

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I started to laugh when the video mentioned being able to locate his Airstream. That feature will only be helpful if your Airstream is stolen or you are extremely drunk. In that case, you won't be able to use your phone anyway LOL
And another thing.....Very very few tent campers are going to go out and buy an Airstream like the video suggests.

Yeah I don't know how you lose track of your Airstream. There is indeed a bit of marketing fluff in the video.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
If this turn out half as good as the ATT buyout fiasco of Directv and the total destruction of Direct service, I cant wait! Airstream will go the way of the dodo bird.

I'm not here to debate the company's services with you or anyone else but...

I had DirecTV for 10 years before AT&T acquired them. I've had zero issues with the service before and after the acquisition. If you have a specific problem I can help with that. PM me if you need to.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I watched the video. A lot of pretty cool features but all I could think about was the $85,000 Airstream will now be $90,000. I'm also not sure how a smart phone is going to accurately monitor how much propane is left in your tanks when nothing else I've found on the market is very accurate. The other thing that I question is how you ALWAYS stay connected when you're off the grid just because you have a signal booster. First of all, you're off the grid because you want to be off the grid! Secondly, Unless you're on the edge of the grid, a signal booster probably isn't going to help. I started to laugh when the video mentioned being able to locate his Airstream. That feature will only be helpful if your Airstream is stolen or you are extremely drunk. In that case, you won't be able to use your phone anyway LOL

And another thing.....Very very few tent campers are going to go out and buy an Airstream like the video suggests.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty cool.....especially like the ability to control the awning when away from the trailer..

Thanks for posting this.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro