cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a Tardis - What RV?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering my next RV. I currently have an Dodge ram 2500 with mods to carry an Artic Fox truck camper.

The best thing about this is it's ability to fit in a parking space and a bit. It overhangs by about 2ft.

This has allowed me to visit places such as New York City and San Francisco, Montreal and Toronto. Parking right in the city for a week or 2.

I'd like to have something similar that can still fit in a single spot, is a rock solid diesel drive train and has a way to pass from the driving area to the living area.

I'm not poor... Lol. So no posts saying I need to be in a campground. I don't like campgrounds. I like to go to interesting places and just jam my RV in there. Cost isn't a huge issue. I pay for my urban parking.

I'm looking for something that squeezes into a single parking spot, but is roomy inside. Maybe a double slide??

What models of the various types of RVs does anyone know that would fit?

I'm also not against building my own RV again. I've done it twice in the past. So a truck suggestion could work.

Any input?
8 REPLIES 8

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought similar. I am not going to go the truck camper route, but the class "B" route. The ideal rig the OP is looking for would probably be a 4x4 Roadtrek SS Agile, or even a Winnebago Revel.

MrWizard
and has a way to pass from the driving area to the living area.

pretty much rules out 'truck camper', unless your small and limber
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned something with slides, but I hear some of them are usable with the slides in, and other designs, not so much. Something to double check.

Are you planning to upgrade your truck? Cause I believe any truck camper with slides needs a one ton dually at a minimum.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
My first pick for such things in current production would probably be a Leisure Tavel Vans model 24MB, though it is a little long for a single parking space at 24'7" (a standard full size parking space is 22'), though with a 170 inch wheel base it could probably fit into a standard parking space if allowed to back in and overhang a curb, as I do this with my 28 ft Safari Trek which has a 29'5" bumper to bumper length on a 177 inch wheel base.

MrWizard
i think 'i would' be looking at the Sprinter class B conversions
to see if any match those desires
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response, Optimistic.

I should say that while parked in the tight urban areas, I don't plan on putting slides out.

That's only for times when there is a lot of room.

I'm seeing 14' on the roros for height. My current Arctic Fox is just shy of 13'.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure how you could put slides out while parked on a city street, if that's what you are talking about - as opposed to renting a spot in a parking garage or something like that. You'd be partially blocking the sidewalk on one side, and inviting the first truck or bus that came along to clip you on the street side. If parked in a parking garage or parking lot, I'd guess you'd have to pay for two spots and park in the middle.

As far as putting it on a Ro-Ro, I'd wonder what the maximum height they can handle before committing to anything. There are people over on Horizon's Unlimited who ship vehicles all over the world. Probably be a good place to ask about that.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

But do keep in mind that many of the more interesting places in the world often can't accommodate the 13 foot or so of height that North
American roads are designed for.

If it was me, I'd be looking at an Alaskan Camper, which lowers the roof as you travel.

http://alaskancampers.com/

Though I hear there may be a new camper with that feature coming out.

https://www.supertrampcampers.com/

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Also would love to have something I can put on a RoRo boat (while I fly) and ship it to different countries to travel and tour around.