cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King Jack or Wingman antenna

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching an upgrade to my stock batwing antenna. I've got it narrowed down to the King Jack or Wingman. A lot of the research I've found is a few years old. Any advice?

Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N59MJQ2/ref=sr_ob_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1537405146&sr=8-19

Wingman https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U2DPUE/?coliid=I30TXM8QUJR1Z6&colid=UREH5D9SJQ7A&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_...
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
42 REPLIES 42

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Thanks for the new list Dutch... Frankly I do not worry too much about it. I let the Receivers work it out ๐Ÿ™‚

If you antenna cannot pick it up it doesn't matter at all what receiver you have. No signal, no TV!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Thanks for the new list Dutch... Frankly I do not worry too much about it. I let the Receivers work it out ๐Ÿ™‚

The problem won't be the receivers, it'll be the inadequate antennas for VHF some folks are using.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Leave my traffic gal alone, she's the best reason to turn on the TV. :W

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Thatโ€™s because nobody (except you) uses OTA going down the road.

I must travel with nothing but nobodyโ€™s then ....... all my friends do it also.

Itโ€™s like the whole cable / satellite vs OTA thing, most people donโ€™t even realize they can get OTA channels for free.

The same applies to motorhomes, people have been brainwashed that the only way you can have in-motion television is by satellite. Thatโ€™s simply not true.

Are you driving around urban beltways multiple times so you can catch the end of the show lol?;)

A moot point where we go in the PA mountains. Cross the first western ridge and drop to the other side and instantly lose every Pittsburgh channel. I might be able to pick up 1 Johnstown channel at the park we frequent and a few religious and shopping channels with the sensar with wingman. When I had a jack nothing. I have one spot in the campground where I can stand on a picnic table and sometimes get iffy cell service. That's why I frequent the place.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
I could never figure out why the Vancouver morning TV news has the traffic lady showing all the busy highways from their helo.

Dollars.

As Don Henley puts it in his song โ€œDirty Laundryโ€.....

โ€œWe got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundryโ€

People watch, commercials get played, TV station gets money.

That helo costs them upwards of $1k. per hour in the air, if it wasnโ€™t bringing them a return on their investment it wouldnโ€™t be up there.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

I'm not sure about the migration back to VHF. but "Not Sure" means just that. I do know the Wingard is the better antenna for long distance. and I find that to be what I need 9 times out of 8.

If you're not sure about the FCC channel repack, here's an up to date listing of the new channel assignments. Note that the channels listed are the actual RF channels, not the displayed virtual channels.

Repack Plan
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could never figure out why the Vancouver morning TV news has the traffic lady showing all the busy highways from their helo. If you are out their in your car trying to get to work, you don't have a TV (I thought) so what's the point? If you are still having breakfast and watching the traffic lady, by the time you get out there it is all different, so what's the point?

Now I know! It is for RVers who do have TV and drive to work in their RVs. Mystery solved! ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
BTW, nobody seems to have disagreed with my โ€˜Jack beats the pants off the Wingmanโ€™ statement...... if you want to use it while youโ€™re going down the road.....

When I am driving I don't watch TV........

Happy crashing.

Yeah, I mean who has passengers in a motorhome? Sheesh..... what was I thinking?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
OTA TV while driving is only good if you don't plan to leave town. The signal will only last for about an hour or so as you travel through cities before the next cities signal is needed. That requires a new channel scan to pick up the new channels. If you are driving down the Interstate and headed out into the middle of nowhere, OTA TV is completely useless as the signal changes again and again. It was easier in the analog days but no good today.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
BTW, nobody seems to have disagreed with my โ€˜Jack beats the pants off the Wingmanโ€™ statement...... if you want to use it while youโ€™re going down the road.....

When I am driving I don't watch TV and since I'll drive right out of the footprint of the stations not much sense in recording it either. SO it does not matter to me. Happy crashing.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:

I must travel with nothing but nobodyโ€™s then ....... all my friends do it also.

Itโ€™s like the whole cable / satellite vs OTA thing, most people donโ€™t even realize they can get OTA channels for free.

The same applies to motorhomes, people have been brainwashed that the only way you can have in-motion television is by satellite. Thatโ€™s simply not true.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Then thereโ€™s those of us, although within 25 miles of the CN tower, have no cable atV, no high speed Internet (other than cellular or satellite) and get zero OTA channels even with a tall tower and top-drawer antenna on a rotor head.