cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treating wood for rot fungus

Monster1
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the inside trim shroud from the bathroom skylight today. It appears condensed pooled into the bottom and wicked into the paneling and ceiling bracing. It's very minimal. The wood is not rotted but black mold has formed on the surface. It brushes away but I'm sure it would just come back once the bathroom gets moisture in it from use. What should I use to treat this? I dont think get rot would be a good course of action because there is no physical damage, just the presence of fungus that if left untreated will become a problem. I'm thinking I just need to treat it so that the fungus is killed and then foam tape the shroud before I put it back up with new screws.
6 REPLIES 6

Monster1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips guys. I found the culprit. The sealant on the edge of the skylight had crumbed. I was able to pull it off by hand which exposed a nice hole in the skylight I could fit a pencil through. I ordered a new skylight off amazon to complete the repair.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Concrobium is a good chemical fungicide. Tea tree oil is a natural one. Most important is to clean it, get it dry, and seal the trim to keep moisture out. You might also consider brushing some urethane varnish on the wood and paneling to seal it.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
For mold/fungus I use something called Concrobium. It is sold in most hardware stores. An Industrial Hygienist told me about it when I had some mold in my shop at home.
Dan

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Git Rot might work but I am not sure about overhead wood work.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure you've found ALL the fungus.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
there are commercial treatments available

but you can also use anti-freeze to treat the wood

google wood rot treatment
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s