cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canada & Guns

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have been told that hand guns are not allowed when crossing into Canada... and shotguns and rifles are probably more of a hassle than you want, unless you are specifically going there to hunt...

What about a pellet air rifle?

TIA
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
26 REPLIES 26

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bring a passport.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
As for the Nexus Card, it IS proof of citizenship and as good as a passport, it is ALL you need to cross either way, by land sea or air.

However, you need to hold a valid passport to have a NEXUS card. For day trips I will just take my NEXUS card but if I am going to be in the US for any length of time I will take my passport as well.

No, all you need is a birth certificate and photo ID to get a Nexus Card.

Then why did they require my passport when we applied and why do they require that you update your passport info when you are issued a new one? Are you confusing NEXUS with an enhanced drivers licence or has something changed.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Back on track and a FYI for the OP, while not all Texans are gun toting neanderthals, it seems that years of dealing with them and their right to carry, Canadian Customs appear to be a little sticky when dealing with Texans. If you choose to take a weapon into Canada, be prepared to be questioned extensively.

That seems to be EXACTLY the issue too.

The right to carry.

It does NOT apply to Canada.

You are welcome to bring firearms into Canada, for hunting, in season, and in appropriate part of Canada ......... or for legitimate shooting competitions and you are qualified and registered.

If however, someone gets โ€˜fussyโ€™ and tries to tell the officials of a foreign sovereign country what THEY think they should be allowed to do, well, that just wonโ€™t go over well.

In fact, it would probably go over about as well as a Canadian disregarding US law while down there.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Back on track and a FYI for the OP, while not all Texans are gun toting neanderthals, it seems that years of dealing with them and their right to carry, Canadian Customs appear to be a little sticky when dealing with Texans. If you choose to take a weapon into Canada, be prepared to be questioned extensively.

My wife and I are what is termed Plain White Bread by customs agents. Even with the proper certificate to carry a shotgun into and through Canada, I got a taste of Canadian belief that guns are the cause of many of our woes here in the USA. I was lectured, on a personal level by a woman customs agent about why we feel the need to have guns in the USA, much less in Canada.

I would say seven out of ten Texans that we have talked to while camping after having passed into or through Canada said they were questioned extensively.

Just my take on it and the fact that you personally, seem to need to carry, are going to be a prime target for secondary inspection.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
As for the Nexus Card, it IS proof of citizenship and as good as a passport, it is ALL you need to cross either way, by land sea or air.

However, you need to hold a valid passport to have a NEXUS card. For day trips I will just take my NEXUS card but if I am going to be in the US for any length of time I will take my passport as well.

No, all you need is a birth certificate and photo ID to get a Nexus Card.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
daveB110 wrote:
Canada has had the requirement for a passport, or Nexus card, for a number of years. Traveling with a Card only, allows you to pass through a border faster. But each member of the vehicle must also have such a Card. If you plan on flying back to USA you will require the Passport, not a card, as international flights require a passport. Something to think about if you become injured or need medical procedures. Remember that each Canadian hospital lists the costs for those without inclusion in the Canadian system. Those costs are expensive without having other travel insurance coverage.

Some VERY wrong info there friend.

All you need to enter Canada is proof of citizenship, a birth certificate and hoot ID such as a drivers license to verify you are the person listed on the birth certificate is all that is required.

Heading back into the US they get stickier, but itโ€™s not impossible by any means.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakeside013104 wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ppine wrote:
Remember to have a pass port.

A passport make getting back INTO the US easier and probably will be a requirement in the future.

Actually it already is. Passport or a passport card which looks like a drivers license but can only be used for land travel across US/Canadian border. (Not sure about US/Mexico). If you do not have one or the other, you will be denied reenty into the USA

Denying a US Citizen the ability to re-enter his own country is a great way for a US Border Officer to get a 'nasty gram' from their supervisor or a few days off for not doing their job correctly.

US Citizens returning to the USA, CANNOT be refused entry, UNLESS that person has renounced their US Citizenship.

Lakeside

Well part of the reason for a passport is to prove citizenship! Drivers license donโ€™t always meet the standard.
Years ago I flew into Canada without a passport, and was given a very bad time about getting back. Best to have one, just makes borders much easier to deal with.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ppine wrote:

A passport make getting back INTO the US easier and probably will be a requirement in the future.

Actually it already is. Passport or a passport card which looks like a drivers license but can only be used for land travel across US/Canadian border. (Not sure about US/Mexico). If you do not have one or the other, you will be denied reenty into the USA

Denying a US Citizen the ability to re-enter his own country is a great way for a US Border Officer to get a 'nasty gram' from their supervisor or a few days off for not doing their job correctly.

US Citizens returning to the USA, CANNOT be refused entry, UNLESS that person has renounced their US Citizenship.

Lakeside

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Canada has had the requirement for a passport, or Nexus card, for a number of years. Traveling with a Card only, allows you to pass through a border faster. But each member of the vehicle must also have such a Card. If you plan on flying back to USA you will require the Passport, not a card, as international flights require a passport. Something to think about if you become injured or need medical procedures. Remember that each Canadian hospital lists the costs for those without inclusion in the Canadian system. Those costs are expensive without having other travel insurance coverage.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Actually it already is. Passport or a passport card which looks like a drivers license but can only be used for land travel across US/Canadian border. (Not sure about US/Mexico). If you do not have one or the other, you will be denied reentry into the USA.

If you're a citizen, eventually they will let you back in. It will be neither a quick nor a fun process, and I suspect may involve some fees or fines or other such punishments/deterrences, but they pretty much have to let citizens back in.

In addition to a passport or a passport card (and the latter is for sea or land entry into the US from Mexico), you may also use a Nexus card or an Enhanced Driver's License. (The requirements for children are different.)

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
ppine wrote:
If you are going to the Canadian bush it is worthwhile to bring a rifle.

I've spent most of my life in the Canadian bush and only owned a rifle for about 3-4 years, many years ago when I lived in a fairly remote cabin.

We have remote cottage we stay at all Summer for the past 16 years. We saw a small bear on the deck for the first time this summer. I shot it in the a$$ with a slingshot. He was very annoyed but moved on.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ppine wrote:

Actually it already is. Passport or a passport card which looks like a drivers license but can only be used for land travel across US/Canadian border. (Not sure about US/Mexico). If you do not have one or the other, you will be denied reentry into the USA.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If you are going to the Canadian bush it is worthwhile to bring a rifle.

I've spent most of my life in the Canadian bush and only owned a rifle for about 3-4 years, many years ago when I lived in a fairly remote cabin.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live