cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Farewell to Canada

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip to Canada was to Winnipeg in 2001. British Bride, her sister and I. Encountered a real internatinal incident on tha trip.The World Soccer matches were ongoing and a final matchup was scheduled the day after we got to our RV park. New to satellite systems, I was having a problem getting set up. Wandered through the camp, saw a similar setup and asked the camper - unfortuntely, he only spoke French, and my linguistic abilities in French approach zero.

However, finally got set up and tried to find the channel - however, Murphy's Law was alive and real. The channel that had been broadcasting the games was not doing it that day. Finally found it though. So there we were - one Comanche Indian, two British citizens, in Canada, watching England play Denmark in Japan and being broadcast in Spanish...

We have made 16 or so trips to Canada since then - mostly to Vancouver Island, but twice to the Canadian Maratimes. Participated in a Mik'maq powwow on PEI - a Comanche dancing to the drum with First Nations people on PEI!

Made many, many Canadian friends during these trips, created memories that will last a lifetime. Also met people from all over the world as well.

We were planning to return to Vancouver Island this year and were into the trip with a ten-day stop in Nebraska to visit my British Brides sister. She no longer traveled with us due to health. We were due to leave in a few days and meander our way northwest, eventually taking the ferry to the Island.

From nowhere, my wife stated one morning, "I don't feel good about this trip." I had felt the same way for a couple of weeks, but had said nothing. We discussed it and decided that perhaps God was telling us to change our minds. We did, and subsequent events revealed that God was right. We finished our Nebraska visit and returned home.

So we will most likely not make another trip to our adopted country.
But we will not forget the many events and adventures and the countless number of friend.f

And on Canada Day, I will run up the Maple Leaf.

It's been a trip!
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
17 REPLIES 17

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
If my wife would fly, we would most likely find a summer home on Vancouver Island and continue our visits. But she won't get on a plane so that settles that. Also,our little Bear Killers have been our companions for 17 years and we would not leave them behind

Another factor was that while we were in Nebraska getting ready to leave for VI, our little female Bichon was having seizures for unknown reasons. Took her to a local vet, but didn't get any real answers. That added to the other factors.
Back home, our local vet asked about her diet, and then said she was getting too much protein. Also,cheese and chicken are heavy contributors to those seizures. Our litte poochkies always got their share of cheese,and to go boxes from restaurants were almost always chicken. We restricted the diet,and she has had no more problems.
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
We have agreed for some time that we will continue to travel as long as health permits. I am 100% disabled combat vet, but that doesn't slow me down much. We still have the Tin Teepee and will continued to travel, just not long trips and far away. Still into burning wagons, raiding and pillaging, just not as much.

GM

It ain't a distance contest......... I hope you continue to enjoy your journeys.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
GREY MOUNTAIN...
All the best to you and your family. I have enjoyed reading your humorous posts over the years.
Happy trails to you!
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We have agreed for some time that we will continue to travel as long as health permits. I am 100% disabled combat vet, but that doesn't slow me down much. We still have the Tin Teepee and will continued to travel, just not long trips and far away. Still into burning wagons, raiding and pillaging, just not as much.

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Grey Mountain wrote:
Our reasons had nothing to do with Canada or Canadians. Age, health, distance all came in to play. It's a 5000 mile round trip, I will be 78 in two months, British Bride just turned 73 and has some health issues. Out two little Bichon Frise Bear Killers are both 17 with health issues. Just not up to the trip. My 93-year old mom was in a nursing home and the possibility of having to return home has been very real for a few years. She passed away peacefully in July.
British Bride will not fly, so that is not an option.
Both of us feel that it was our God telling us not to make the trip.
On a more recent shorter trip, wound up taking my British Bride to an Urgent Care clinic in Denver with viral Bronchitis, then cutting the trip short and returning

GM

GM

That is a situation that all of us will be facing..staying healthy enough to travel...Best wishes..c.traveler2
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We feel the same way. We've traveled all over, haven't seen it all but enough to enjoy slowing down and staying home.
I feel sorry for the people who save the traveling for when they retire. It doesn't work that way. There come a time when mind and body says that's enough.
We don't sit around but we don't go far anymore.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Our reasons had nothing to do with Canada or Canadians. Age, health, distance all came in to play. It's a 5000 mile round trip, I will be 78 in two months, British Bride just turned 73 and has some health issues. Out two little Bichon Frise Bear Killers are both 17 with health issues. Just not up to the trip. My 93-year old mom was in a nursing home and the possibility of having to return home has been very real for a few years. She passed away peacefully in July.
British Bride will not fly, so that is not an option.
Both of us feel that it was our God telling us not to make the trip.
On a more recent shorter trip, wound up taking my British Bride to an Urgent Care clinic in Denver with viral Bronchitis, then cutting the trip short and returning home.

GM

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Never came across you in our travels but always enjoyed your posts. Farewell.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
me too. what happen to change your minds about going up??
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We always were happy to see your posts on this Forum, this time as well, except for your decision that you may not be back. We understand, and are in the same position as you, concerning our trips to Mexico. As we got older our horizons somehow changed; the last thing to change (and it never will) is the people. For us it was the Mexican people. May your life continue in health and impart the stalwart values we've recognized here, to all you meet!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I too have found my travels are less than I expected them to be. So glad you did as well as you have.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused. What was the issue to cause you to not travel to Canada. You give no specifics at al yet your post implies that there is an issue with going to Canada.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
What were the events that caused you to change your mind about going?

I think someone may be too ill to travel unless I am misreading between the lines.

Hope all goes well Mr Grey Mountain.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
What were the events that caused you to change your mind about going?
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog