cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unfortunate report on new Ram

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
From an earlier thread we ordered and got our brand new Ram 3500 6.4 on August 23. We were in the process of putting 500 miles on her so we could change the rear differential fluid to take her on our first trip. On September 5 she started idling very rough and the check engine light came on. My code reader indicated a misfire on cylinder 7. We took her in to have them look at it and perform whatever warranty work was necessary.
After having her for about 3 or 4 days they decided it was bad gas since the plugs in cylinder 7 were completely fouled so it is not a warranty item. Perfectly understandable. They emptied the 30 gallons that I just bought and cleaned out the tank. They said the gas looked terrible. It was purchased from Quik Trip so we got the form to fill out since their gas is guaranteed hoping for reimbursement. It still kept misfiring with their โ€œknown good gas.โ€ Emptied the tank and cleaned the fuel rails two more times. Still misfiring. Iโ€™m on the hook for about $700 now. After having the truck for two weeks and looking again at new โ€œknown good gasโ€ gas from a new container they concluded it was not the gas.
They now say it is an engine issue so itโ€™s back to warranty work and no charge to me. Their first thought was that it might be the camshaft with a bad #7 lobe. They pulled the cam out and all specs were good. They then looked at the cylinder head and valves. One of the valves had a nick in it and was slightly bent. They feel this is the issue. The team leader wants an entirely new cylinder head (and so do I but I would really prefer a whole new engine!) and not just new parts to rebuild it. I should hear back today to see what FCAโ€™s answer will be.
I had to cancel our first trip with her. We should have left this morning. Theyโ€™ve had her longer than we have and weโ€™re about to go pay sales tax on a truck we donโ€™t have. This is so disappointing.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired
119 REPLIES 119

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback, amidst all this other ozone layer knowledge that is being bestowed upon us.

Bet you post back in a year and say all is well.

Enjoy

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think all said and done you are going to love that 6.4. Got one myself earlier in the year and pulled the trailer beautifully all summer. It's a great choice of engine IMO and tows great. I personally don't mis my 2012 diesel at all. Enjoy the truck and good luck with it!

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Man, that was something. OP I'm glad it worked out for you. Thank you for the update, be happy and enjoy your truck. Happy camping and safe travels.
G.H.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
kw/00 wrote:
ls1mike wrote:
I am gonna sound like a D-bag here but some of you guys are hand wringers

It was a head replacement. There are 6.0 Fords on here that are running around that had the body off to do head gaskests and studs, rebuilt rearends on trucks, rebuilt transmissions, Injector replacements on diesels, Cam replacments on AFM/DOD engines.

We are talking about a head replacement on a small block push rod engine. Day one stuff. They don't even have to set lash on the valves. They are self adjusting.

OP put it on the floor, it will be fine. The Hemi head replacement is not much different than an LS based motor. I did heads and cam in my garage on the WS6 60,000 miles ago. 500 11 sec 1/4 mile passes later and not one issue.

Mike good post, spot on.

This is actually a reflection on how much better the new engines are than they were 40 years ago. Nobody gave much thought to pulling the heads back then. It is done so rarely now that it has become unusual and anything unusual makes people uncomfortable.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:

It was a head replacement. There are 6.0 Fords on here that are running around that had the body off to do head gaskests and studs, rebuilt rearends on trucks, rebuilt transmissions, Injector replacements on diesels, Cam replacments on AFM/DOD engines.

We are talking about a head replacement on a small block push rod engine. Day one stuff. They don't even have to set lash on the valves. They are self adjusting.

OP put it on the floor, it will be fine. The Hemi head replacement is not much different than an LS based motor. I did heads and cam in my garage on the WS6 60,000 miles ago. 500 11 sec 1/4 mile passes later and not one issue.

Mike good post, spot on.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Exactly!
Look under the hood of a comparable 70s, 80s 90s 00s and current models.
New gas trucks are as easy as ever to perform mechanical repairs on. Look like they did before the emissions took over in the 70s. Clean, easy to get to and like ls1 said, les "stuff" to mess with.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
bsbeedub wrote:
ls1mike wrote:

This is all new to me. I know enough about engines to be dangerous and that was back in the late 70โ€™s. Iโ€™m envious of the knowledge and skill that some of you have.
No d-bag and thanks for the honesty but I hope you understand my point of view. Very limited knowledge and what seems to me to be open heart surgery!

I get it, I think the electronics scare a lot of people. Once you get past that stuff is the same (heads, intake, fuel rail, No **** carb to mess with, no timing, no distributor to mess up put it back together turn the key Vroom easier to me than something from the 70's. Minus the DOD/AFM but that isn't difficult it would look much like any pushrod engine you are used to. I didn't mean you so much as people arguing about it. Your truck and I understand being nervous, but the "Hemi" has been around awhile now and head replacement should not be a problem for a tech at a dealership.

Maybe I trivialize as I fix Submarines for a living and ripping apart an engine is easy compared to that and you certainly are not submerging that truck...at least I hope not. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:

This is all new to me. I know enough about engines to be dangerous and that was back in the late 70โ€™s. Iโ€™m envious of the knowledge and skill that some of you have.
No d-bag and thanks for the honesty but I hope you understand my point of view. Very limited knowledge and what seems to me to be open heart surgery!
Bob & Susan

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good report... the biggest problem will be forgetting this repair ever happened and regain some confidence with it.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I keep opening this thread hoping i get a good report from the OP.

Talk about high jacking. :S

OP here. About a page or so back I did say I got the truck back but not much else. I have been driving it for two weeks and took a test tow for about 20 miles to get the hitch set up and the factory brake controller dialed in. It works real nice. I drive about 62 - 65 when towing and the fuel gauge (I know, I know) indicated 10.5 mpg. We finally took it on a short weekend camping trip last weekend. Our current TT is only about 5000 plus lb. loaded so the truck really doesnโ€™t know itโ€™s there which is what I expected. It has some serious get up and go but time will tell when it has a real load behind it. It will most likely be a year until we get the 5er we want and that dry weight ( I know, I know) is about 8000 lb. Well within this beastโ€™s wheelhouse.
Weโ€™re leaving in the morning for a four day trip and Iโ€™m looking forward to some real highway miles and to see how well it holds cruise. There are some minor hills and I donโ€™t expect a problem.
The repair is good so far and Iโ€™m pleased with the results as long as it holds up under real world use.
Bob & Susan

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I keep opening this thread hoping i get a good report from the OP.

Talk about high jacking. :S

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
LVJJJ wrote:
Kinda glad I only drive Chevy-GMC's

Right on, they have a great diesel history. Well....they did get better after isuzu got involved. ๐Ÿ™‚
Glad you added that caveat. Their first two attempts were less then stellar. The mechanic I use has had to repair 3 GM gas motors with cylinder deactivation including his own. A good friend had to to have his transmission replaced in his new 70k Denali when the torque converter went out before 10k miles on the truck, under warranty. So yes GM has issues as well.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Nope don't buy lotto tickets nor do I buy raffle tickets unless they are for a very good cause.

But since I have been buying Chrysler products I have only had one vehicle that even came close to the issues I had with my Fords. A Grand Voyager that had a vibration in the front that the dealer could not or would not find/fix. BTW I started buy Chrysler's long before I went to work for them.

Don
I had similar issues with a 98 Dodge truck engine, transmission, ring and pinion gears and ball joints all before 100k miles. My oldest 99 Ford 7.3 F-250 has 255k miles with no major issues, the second oldest 2000 V-10 F-250 has 190k, replaced the clutch and heater core along with normal maintenance items.

I also owned two new 1990 GM vehicle's a 454 SS and a Blazer that the ((New)) water based paint failed without GM standing behind it's product. The Blazer also needed a motor replacement.

I still would not hesitate to purchase another Ram or GM truck if they best serve my needs. There is not a brand out there that at one time or another that didn't have issues with their products.

I have yet to see any brand that has eliminated their service center because it was no longer needed.